RIP - Jay Reatard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to Jay's stuff since the first couple of Reatards albums. The dude was 100% genius. His solo stuff was some of the most interesting music of the last five years. I'm incredibly saddened by this. I caught him every time he came through this area and he always put on an incredible show and, despite his surly stage presence, was a pretty soft-spoken guy. I picked Watch Me Fall as my favorite album of 2009 (and Blood Visions was among my top 5 of 2006). I don't doubt he would've been HUGE if he lived long enough to enjoy some success. RIP.

Happy I got to see him in a tiny ass venue in my home town. Like the dive bar I always make O Pioneers play. People who take drugs that can kill them are sad. There are fabulous ways to get fucked up that wont.

I know it goes against all logic, but I'm really hoping this wasn't drug related. My fingers are crossed for meningitis or swine flu (though it's not likely).

Guys and Ladies,

I've been crushed by this news. Jay Reatard was a hero of mine. Loved his music, and his stage presence. Saw him many times from small record stores in Seattle (Fallout Records) to bigger venues. I was happy for his success. It's sad to see such a wonderful talented person lose in life like this. He was just incredible guys. I was also a teenager when Kurt Cobain died, another total waste. It's also a bit haunting they've put up the great Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle song with Jay reworking it and nailing it. I'm glad they did though, just so much death by two very young and beautiful artists. Cobain 27, Lindsey 29. May you guys rock where ever you are together!

Also as someone else here mentioned Jay was into vinyl big time. I made some trades, and bought some vinyl from him off Ebay many years ago. He also sent me some weird emails, and than told me a friend of his broke into his account and was sending weird emails to everyone in his email contact list. So Jay sent me some rare singles signed for being bothered. Dude was legit.

RIP Jay you will be very very missed.

Link below is of the very first Reatards show I attended, with pictures of the performance.

http://www.falloutrecords.com/gallery/reatards.html

sickteen

Happy I got to see him in a tiny ass venue in my home town. Like the dive bar I always make O Pioneers play. People who take drugs that can kill them are sad. There are fabulous ways to get fucked up that wont.

I know it goes against all logic, but I'm really hoping this wasn't drug related. My fingers are crossed for meningitis or swine flu (though it's not likely).

I'm curious, why does this matter?