Pittsburgh / Garfield Artworks

william

Has anyone been to a show at this place?

There is a show there later this month that I want to go to.

garfield artworks webpage says 8pm with the info for the show, and i was wondering if anyone here had gone to shows there and could tell me if shows really start around 8..or if they are usually a bit later.

for example, there are quite a few shows around here that say 8pm on the flyer and then don't usually get going until around 930-10..

i'm going to be coming from ohio and i don't get off of work until about 6..so i'm wondering how much of the show i may miss...

Garfield Artworks is a cool little place.

From what I can remember, the shows I've been to there have started roughly on time. Mikeswidowspeak would be a great person to ask.

FYI, you can bring beer inside the venue if you're up for drinking, there are a few bars on the block. Parking is street parking, but you shouldn't have trouble finding a spot. Let me know if you need recommendations for somewhere to eat. I live a few blocks away.

What show?

Garfield Artworks is a cool little place.

From what I can remember, the shows I've been to there have started roughly on time. Mikeswidowspeak would be a great person to ask.

FYI, you can bring beer inside the venue if you're up for drinking, there are a few bars on the block. Parking is street parking, but you shouldn't have trouble finding a spot. Let me know if you need recommendations for somewhere to eat. I live a few blocks away.

What show?

Thanks for the help/info.

The show:

Monday February 22

COLD CAVE

with Hair Police (Lexington, KY) and Lookbook (Minneapolis)

8 pm

I'm assuming Lookbook would be playing first. Have no idea who they are really. So at this point, I guess I wouldn't be too bummed if I missed out. Just mainly want to see Hair Police and Cold Cave.

From what little I've read about Garfield Artworks it seems like it may be a pretty interesting place. Any late night veg-friendly food recommendations would be great if you have any!

Hmm... Veg friendly is out of my knowledge since I eat meat for a hobby, um...

Brillobox is close by, they're a bar / venue, but I believe they have veg options:

http://www.brillobox.net/

There's a great Thai place with veg options called Thai Cuisine, it's a street over from Garfield (which is on Penn) on Liberty. That whole block has a ton of places, mainly Italian as it's Pittsburgh's Little Italy.

There's an Indian place on Penn, Taste of India that gets good reviews, but I haven't ate there yet.

Has anyone been to a show at this place?

There is a show there later this month that I want to go to.

garfield artworks webpage says 8pm with the info for the show, and i was wondering if anyone here had gone to shows there and could tell me if shows really start around 8..or if they are usually a bit later.

for example, there are quite a few shows around here that say 8pm on the flyer and then don't usually get going until around 930-10..

i'm going to be coming from ohio and i don't get off of work until about 6..so i'm wondering how much of the show i may miss...

I've only been to one show there and it started a couple hours late. Even though I asked beforehand and was told it would start on time. No idea if that's indicative of the venue or other factors, though.

garfart is awesome, manny is quiet possibly the most unique person ive met. he's always been extremely nice to me, we've co-promoted a couple shows together, he's a good guy, just very misunderstood at times.

shows start depending on the promoter, who is normally manny, but he rents out the space to other promoters, and shows vary on start time. he's told me about shows there where there are 3 bands, doors at 8, but no one starts till 9:30. that being said, I am pretty sure its a manny show, so it'll start close to on time.

as for veg friendly food, there is Quiet Storm about 10 blocks away on the same street. There is also a veggie/veg pizza shop called Spak Bros that is also just down the street, but the other direction. google both places to get more info, I dont have much more than that.

where in Ohio do you live?

i live just outside of columbus.

again, thanks for all the info guys.

as it stands now..i might not be able to leave here until about 6:30 or 7..and i think it takes almost 3 hours to get to pittsburgh.

looks like i'd be cutting it pretty close then.

mainly i'm going to see cold cave and hair police. more so cold cave, as i'll be seeing hair police in town on the 20th..and i've seen them 5 or more times already anyway...

we played there on our very first tour ever. It was our last show, before we drove straight home and we were playing with by the end of tonight.

We played to absolutly no one, which is tottally cool. It happens, especially on your first tour. Then, during the middle of our last song 8 kids who drove 3 hours to see us play came in, and begged that we play another song or two. We asked manny if we could, who promptly told us no, because we had to get going with the show. There was no curfew, no one was there, except for these 8 kids, and our friends in by the end of tonight. So we said fuck it, and played some more songs, Meanwhile, manny turned off the mics, and turned up the PA. He then convinced the local band, who came in to set up on the oppisite side of the room, and have them start playing.

Solid dude.

so... presale tickets?

i dont know if there are any, just call garfart and ask

as for eric, sounds like manny, he runs his shows on an exact schedule, barely any wiggle room, no matter the band. and if you ignore him/are rude to him he'll be a prick right back to you, thats just part of who he is and who he has been since the 80s. so his actions towards you were probably in return to something someone said to him. he's a very interesting guy.