PO: David Bazan Live At Electrical Audio CD/LP

AlexH.

No shit. Remember when CDs were $15.99 and an LP was $7.99? I don't believe materials prices have gone up that much. There's a special ring of hell for people who rip off record collectors.

You know, I tended to look the other way before I pressed a record myself, but now, knowing the rough costs to create a record, I have no problem calling bullshit. ESPECIALLY in this case, where Bazan doesn't have to license the music from anyone -- it's all his. $20 is just too damn much.

It's a great record. I've been listening to it for a couple weeks. I love Bazan to death and will be buying a copy of this at some point. But I still fail how to see why it costs $20. Even if it is 180g vinyl and super thick stock gatefold chipboard jackets or something there is no way cost is over $10 per unit.

he probably paid for all the time in the studio since the label's not releasing it. he probably also had to pay all the musicians. i'm sure it's not just simple cost per unit. also, we don't know if this is to raise some more money so he can do the next tour, etc...

also, maybe they'll be cheaper without the download in the future or at shows... who knows? i trust him, he's never ripped me off before.

he probably paid for all the time in the studio since the label's not releasing it. he probably also had to pay all the musicians. i'm sure it's not just simple cost per unit. also, we don't know if this is to raise some more money so he can do the next tour, etc...

also, maybe they'll be cheaper without the download in the future or at shows... who knows? i trust him, he's never ripped me off before.

This makes sense to me, and with an artist that you know is always going to give you something special (and that you can be proud to own), I don't have much issue with the price other than I'm broke most of the time. But I would pay for this, and hopefully will soon.

Almost positive that Barsuk is manufacturing it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from Dave's manager:

The Live at Electrical Audio LP is a limited run of only 500 LPs. So we had to price it higher to recoup the production costs for the separate vinyl mastering (from hi-res 24/96 audio), creating lacquers, several test pressings, printing album jackets on higher quality matte finish cardboard, etc.

We are seeing this as a fan-only kind of release. It's not a big release with a huge marketing and press campaign to promote it. It's a balancing act... trying to print enough to get the per unit costs down, but not too many or else we'll have a lot of left overs and lose money.

Curse Your Branches was a much larger release. So the overall production costs could be spread out over more records. Thus, a lower end cost to customers.

We could have sent a 16/44 CDr to the vinyl plant and had them cut the LP from that like so many other records. And we could have skipped the extra test pressings, and we could have gone with the cheap glossy album jackets to make the LP a few bucks cheaper. But doing a high quality release seemed like the right thing to do.

Hope this explains our reasoning behind the price.

The Live at Electrical Audio LP is a limited run of only 500 LPs. So we had to price it higher to recoup the production costs for the separate vinyl mastering (from hi-res 24/96 audio), creating lacquers, several test pressings, printing album jackets on higher quality matte finish cardboard, etc.

We are seeing this as a fan-only kind of release. It's not a big release with a huge marketing and press campaign to promote it. It's a balancing act... trying to print enough to get the per unit costs down, but not too many or else we'll have a lot of left overs and lose money.

Curse Your Branches was a much larger release. So the overall production costs could be spread out over more records. Thus, a lower end cost to customers.

We could have sent a 16/44 CDr to the vinyl plant and had them cut the LP from that like so many other records. And we could have skipped the extra test pressings, and we could have gone with the cheap glossy album jackets to make the LP a few bucks cheaper. But doing a high quality release seemed like the right thing to do.

Great story. I'm still not paying $20 plus shipping for a single LP of live versions of songs I already own in their original forms.

Great story. I'm still not paying $20 plus shipping for a single LP of live versions of songs I already own in their original forms.

Great story? Actually I kind of thought it was a nice explaination of why the price is higher.

• 2 months later...

then dont pay it and stop fucking whining.

this release is great.