Feel Good Songs

I was bored and just wrote this for my LiveJournal, but decided to post it here too, I wish you'd do the same...

There’s an article currently running on the Pitchfork homepage about songs that make you feel good. I took the bait and decided to compile my own list as well as why they spark my emotions.

Weezer - “The Good Life”

While this list is in no particular order this song certainly takes the #1 spot. While many aspects of Pinkerton are a bit depressing the chorus to this song really hits me as River’s croons “It’s time I got back to the good life / it’s time I got back / it’s time I got back / and I don’t even know how I got off the track / I wanna go back.” It’s silly, it’s simple, but they’re uplifting lyrics to pave the path to being at the top of my game.

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - “Me and Mia”

I’m forming this list mentally and I’m sure most of the songs will be the first track on their respected record. That’s where this one falls, it’s not so much the lyrical content here, but the music and the pure beauty that is Mr. Leo’s voice. I love the soft build up as the guitar is gently strums, but you can feel the imminent breakout coming. Then with a sly crash of the drums there it is a full fledge upbeat rocker in your face for the next three minutes that rekindles the spirit of the beginning of the song throughout its adventure.

The White Stripes - “Door Bell”

I think the essence of a feel good song is one that you get so caught up in singing/humming along to that you forget that it even just played and you insist on repeating it a few more times. “Door Bell” is that perfect song for me, even though it pushes the four-minute mark in length I hardly realize it even played by the time I’m hitting the back button to start the track again, only this time I’m singing a little louder.

Saves the Day - “Shoulder to the Wheel”

There’s nothing more exhilarating than driving down the highway well over the speed limit on a sunny day with the windows down. In my head I have compiled playlist of roadtrip songs, and the first one that pops into my head is always this song by Saves the Day. It’s been on many of trips with me and I always comeback to it experiencing the same spark it gave me the first time I heard it as I drove home from the mall when I first purchased Through Being Cool.

Exploding Hearts - “I’m a Pretender”

The tragic fate that fell upon several members of the Exploding Hearts is quite the downer, but it does not undermine their allure. This song is ridiculously uncomplicated, but that’s what makes it so captivating and powerful.

Paul McCartney - “Dance Tonight”

This is probably the most recent song on my list. There are so many gems I could pull from McCartney’s extensive discography -- his solo work, the Beatles, or even the Wings, but I opted for this simple tune. There are no major components to this song, just subtle strumming and humble whistling from Sir McCartney’s lips but it works so well in stirring up my charm. Who doesn’t get excited by dancing?

None More Black - “Oh, There’s Legwork”

It’s not easy to put a hardcore/punk song on a list of delightful tunes, but this post-Kid Dynamite adventure works exceptionally well. Perhaps it’s the strutting guitar, the “whoas” and the “heys” or the infectious lyrics. Despite the gruff in Jason’s voice this is a pleasurable pop-song that can counter the gloomiest of days.

The Hold Steady - “Hot Soft Light”

I consider The Hold Steady the greatest rock band of the decade so I had to pick a song by them. The toe-tapping guitar line that introduce the song and that crazy solo have made this my favorite song of the aforementioned era. Craig Finn’s voice is quite quirky and it might not fit the ideal description of a “feel good song,” but if you want to see excited just look for me singing-a-long and playing air guitar whilst stopped at a traffic light.

Edna’s Goldfish - “Veronica Sawyer”

I had to pick a ska song, I’m almost certain that the poppy genre makes an inclusion permanent. I’m in my mid-twenties now and ska is not something I go out of my way to listen to, but I will always revisit this song if I’m down and out. The opening horn riff is an incredible way to kick this song off. The chorus, which is repeated several times speaks so well to me on a busy and stressful week -- “Friday night / you’re not gonna get Saturday / you try to give me one more Sunday morning / just waiting for the afternoon so I can be a kid again.” During this band’s last show in Pittsburgh I got on stage, front and center and got to sing that chorus over and over along with the lead singer as the song and band faded away – it was an incredible experience for a chipper teenager to go through and I’m always reminded of it when I hear this tune.

Ramones - “Do You Remember Rock ‘n Roll Radio”

The Ramones wrote a lot of catchy songs, this is one of them and my favorite from their discography. It kind of has that Beach Boys feel too it, it starts with that clapping beat that everyone has tapped on their desk a hundred times, and most of all its danceable!

Pixies - "Here Comes Your Man"

Not sure if this is suppose to be happy but its always worth some good head-bobbing and stays stuck for days.

Planes Mistaken for Stars - "Copper and Stars"

"Won't spend my life wishing on copper and starssssssss!" is just a good refrain. It always works to remind me you can't live your life in your head waiting for stuff to happen our your dreams to come true. I still hold to this being one of the best songs Planes has written.

The Gaslight Anthem - "We Came to Dance"

I literally scream the vocals in my car when this song comes on. Again, not sure if it should be happy but it makes me happy.

http://www.myspace.com/notjenslekman

go there and listen to the first track (Kanske....something...)

Cheesey as hell? Maybe. but it still makes me smile

I just heard Jens the other day and I really dig him. All I can think when I hear him is "I wonder what he would sound like if Phil Spector was his producer". But yeah, he has a couple of mp3's on stereogum that are cool.

as this seems like something to be written properly, i will write properly.

Big D and the Kids Table - Chicago

This song always seems to relax me. Every time I listen to it, I imagine myself walking alone in a park on a warm day, with lots of couples/kids/peeps just hanging out, having a good time. It's just a carefree, uplifting song. Kinda like, we don't have much, but who gives a shit? Let's enjoy life. Life is good. "We're just as good as them, if not better."

Toots and the Maytals - Pressure Drop

I'm in love with the gospel like "Mmm"'s in the song. Plus if I get tired of this one, I'll just listen to the Clash's version.

Descendents - When I Get Old

I'm still young, but these thoughts still cross my mind all the time. It's comforting to have that perspective put in a song that's just a good listen.

The Lawrence Arms - Like A Record Player

It just has an overall good feel. It's catchy, about having a good time, not wanting to go home.

The Slackers - Come Back Baby

If you haven't heard this song, find it. Listen to it, and love it.

man, that new jens lekman is so awesome. some really good choices in this thread.

off the top of my head, a couple of contributions would be:

~ "god only knows" by the beach boys -- one of the best songs ever written

~ "no action" by elvis costello -- speedy and cathartic

~ "let down" by radiohead -- the subject matter totally isn't 'feel good' but it's just the prettiest damn thing ever

~ "16 maybe less" and "flightless bird, american mouth" by iron & wine -- totally uplifting love songs

Not sure if this is suppose to be happy but its always worth some good head-bobbing and stays stuck for days.

I agree the song sounds happy and everything however it is actually about when the US dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki. Kinda brings the song to a whole new level.

I agree the song sounds happy and everything however it is actually about when the US dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki. Kinda brings the song to a whole new level.

lyrically, "Me and Mia" is about a tough topic too...