What's your Health Insurance Situation

I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 5 and went without insurance during college, but I'm amazed that I only came out with a detached retina. I took horrible care of myself back then. After I graduated I got a shitty job and got insurance after 3 months. Then I quit that job, and became an independent contractor, but was eligible for Cobra, which was $300 per month and the stimulus ended up paying 6 months of that. Now I'm self insured with some cheap insurance until I'm eligible at my new job.

I definitely think I got my money's worth with Cobra. I had a lot of work done on my eye and got on the pump. The pump is so much easier and I hate my parents for being such cheap bastards.

Damn man, thats crazy. so did you take insulin at all during college? or just when you could afford it? I had an insurance lapse one time and humalog was like 60 bucks a bottle without coverage and that usually only lasts like 10 days or so.

I too am on the pump and couldnt live with out it. It just sucks the supplies are so fucking expensive. I have a great doctor and last time i was there i told him i got laid off and he gave me 7 bottles of insulin for free. i was stoked!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL health insurance. What's that?

Seriously. I haven't had health insurance since high school and the only reason I had it then was because I was in sports and they gave me shitty free insurance. My mom hasn't had insurance since she was in high school and hasn't been to a doctor since she had me 20 years ago. About 7 years ago she had the flu and had to go to the hospital for two days where she got exactly 3 IV things of fluids and laid in a bed. She won't ever be debt free because she's still paying off bills that totaled more than 100K.

[image]

Damn man, thats crazy. so did you take insulin at all during college? or just when you could afford it? I had an insurance lapse one time and humalog was like 60 bucks a bottle without coverage and that usually only lasts like 10 days or so.

I too am on the pump and couldnt live with out it. It just sucks the supplies are so fucking expensive. I have a great doctor and last time i was there i told him i got laid off and he gave me 7 bottles of insulin for free. i was stoked!

I was buying the Relion R from Wal-Mart, sometimes I'd get the N. They were about $20 each and would last about a month. I would re-use syringes until they wouldn't go in my skin anymore. It doesn't really sound that expensive now, but that insulin sucks (the type, not the brand). Plus I think the biggest cost is strips, right?

It was nothing like we do now. I'd take some R and N in the morning and that was supposed to last all day. Then I'd take some N at bedtime.

My doctor gave me three bottles when I told him my insurance was running out. I'm down to my last one and then we'll see how this new insurance is.

LOL health insurance. What's that?

Seriously. I haven't had health insurance since high school and the only reason I had it then was because I was in sports and they gave me shitty free insurance. My mom hasn't had insurance since she was in high school and hasn't been to a doctor since she had me 20 years ago. About 7 years ago she had the flu and had to go to the hospital for two days where she got exactly 3 IV things of fluids and laid in a bed. She won't ever be debt free because she's still paying off bills that totaled more than 100K.

I didn't realize how lucky we were in Canada until I read this. It's fucked that things like this can occur and theres nothing that can be done about it.

You are extremely lucky.

A friend of mine had to be rushed to the ER about 10 years ago because he was on the verge of dieing from an asthma attack. He spent the night in the ICU so they could keep an eye on him. His tab for 5 hours in the ER and one overnight stay? $36,000. $36,000!! And they knew he didn't have insurance.

How the fuck can someone think that is an acceptable situation?

When he did finally start making enough money to buy himself insurance, his premiums and deductibles were so fucking high (because of his "pre-existing condition"), it was really only beneficial if something catastrophic happened.

Guest eriathomas

My health insurance went up like $25/mon. because of asthma, even though when I had the astma test, my lung function didn't drop enough for it to be asthma. It's really annoying that I'll now be labeled as having asthma for future health insurance, which makes everything more expensive.

on the disaster-stories... my friend that was almost murdered a few weeks back doesn't have any health insurance. He was awake enough at the time to refuse an ambulance ride to save himself roughly a grand. Then he spent 18 hours in the hospital. That racked up some huge amount, he hasn't told me what it is, but he hasn't gone back for any of the MRIs or anything he should go for. And considering he had a grade 3 concussion, he really needs to have follow-ups on his brain.

Fuck, hearing these stories make me so glad for my healthcare here in Canada. Sure, I may have to wait a bit longer at the doctors or hospital and I might pay more taxes, but I'll never have to worry about medical bills like some of you guys mentioned.

My job's coverage goes further as well, so myself and my family should be able to keep healthy for a while!

on the disaster-stories... my friend that was almost murdered a few weeks back doesn't have any health insurance. He was awake enough at the time to refuse an ambulance ride to save himself roughly a grand. Then he spent 18 hours in the hospital. That racked up some huge amount, he hasn't told me what it is, but he hasn't gone back for any of the MRIs or anything he should go for. And considering he had a grade 3 concussion, he really needs to have follow-ups on his brain.

The U.S. healthcare system is fucking bullshit... I feel really sorry for all of you, having to deal with this shit.

The U.S. healthcare system is fucking bullshit... I feel really sorry for all of you, having to deal with this shit.

You mean a system where profits are put before helping people be well isn't a good system? That's such a weird concept. :)

Since I left school in january I've been uninsured. I use to be on my dad's insurance because i was in school. It's pretty scary being uninsured. I'm always afraid i'm gonna get sick or in an accident and be fucked. I'm hoping I get into grad school or get a teaching job in the fall so I can be insured again.

Guest eriathomas

I wish I had eye care on my insurance, because I've had the same prescription of glasses for like 6 years and REALLY need new ones. It's way too expensive to go without insurance though. Maybe I'll stop buying some stuff for a while to pay for a visit, since my eyes are really bad.