DIY Project: Display vinyl for around $5 / record

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

While stumbling around LimitedPressing's Hoverboard http://limitedpressing.com/hoverboard , I found a post detailing how to make inexpensive frames to display your records. The displays look fairly easy to make, are very inexpensive, and they look very sharp. Most interesting though is the fact that you can easily pull the record out of its frame to give the record a listen.

We once sold record frames on the VC site that were kind of bunk. I also bought some really nice picture frames from IKEA that display records nicely and aren't terribly expensive, but this is a great way to cheaply frame a bunch of your records.

Display vinyl for around $5 / record [Analog Apartment]

http://analogapartment.com/blog/2010/4/16/display-vinyl-for-around-5-record.html

I also recommend browsing the site, Analog Apartment have a number of interesting vinyl blog posts and seem to have a product for managing your record collections. Has anyone used this? What do you think?

definitely gonna check this out. LP frames are easy to find - target, michael's have them for $5 a piece and I usually just take the actual record out and keep it in an sleeve and plastic. As for 7" frames, I've tried rock art picture show and they are basically pieces of plastic w/ a "matting" that frames the record and hobby frames. Hobby frames are nice, but the majority of the covers did not fit in the frame

definitely gonna check this out. LP frames are easy to find - target, michael's have them for $5 a piece and I usually just take the actual record out and keep it in an sleeve and plastic. As for 7" frames, I've tried rock art picture show and they are basically pieces of plastic w/ a "matting" that frames the record and hobby frames. Hobby frames are nice, but the majority of the covers did not fit in the frame

I've only ever framed one of my records, and that's what I did. The Michael's frames are pretty decent for doing this, and I just took the record out and left it in the sleeve/plastic.

definitely a cool idea. though the idea of my jackets getting faded bugs me a little.

I assume you mean cause of the plastic, correct? If so I thought of this as well. But when I looked at a brand new plastic sleeve it did look pretty clear. I also thought that if in a month the plastic started to get a little grey from dirt and dust flying around, I could swap it out for a new one and use it for the shelf. So it's worth considering I think.

On a side note I have seen deals at michaels for the 12x12 frame and glass extremely cheap. The only benefit I see doing it this way is you can buy a 60" stretcher for 5.75. So 11.50 plus 2 bucks for the sides makes 13.00 plus some shipping. This should save you about 5 bucks I think. This might be a cool collection display.