Pet Picture Post

chaps

I have to get a cat. I'm just afraid my dog would kill it or the cat would scratch his eyes out...and that would be upsetting. He's never been around a cat before.

What kind of dog is it? Some dogs are really good with them if you get a kitten, that way the cat doesn't get territorial.

I have to get a cat. I'm just afraid my dog would kill it or the cat would scratch his eyes out...and that would be upsetting. He's never been around a cat before.

as long as you get a kitten it should be fine. they tend to mellow as long as one of them (preferably the cat) is a youngster when they meet.

heads up on cats though, they're known to chew polyvinyl sleeves and sleep on top of record stacks. gotta keep an eye on them.

What kind of dog is it? Some dogs are really good with them if you get a kitten, that way the cat doesn't get territorial.

He's a little guy, a Wheaten Terrier (35 pounds). But he's insane and very territorial. And, he's solid as a rock and strong as hell for a little dog.

EDIT: Here he is (his name is Jack):

[image]

He's a little guy, a Wheaten Terrier (35 pounds). But he's insane and very territorial. And, he's solid as a rock and strong as hell for a little dog.

EDIT: Here he is (his name is Jack):

[image]

Is he always territorial around other animals, no matter what? That might not necessarily be a bad thing if he can be accepting of a new animal. Sometimes even the most territorial animals can end up welcoming a new one "into the family" after they establish that they're the dominant one. If you don't think he would eat a kitten, I say give it a shot. He might even end up being really protective of it.

He's ok with other dogs after a good warm up period. And he's fine with people he doesn't know (when he's not on the leash). But usually he's the smallest creature. I'd be worried that he would either attack a cat or have a Lenny from 'Of Mice And Men' moment and play too rough and accidentally kill it. It should also be noted that my dog hates children, which I've always found odd.

And, no, Scott, his middle name isn't Russell, it's Killian. I wanted to name him Valentino, because we got him on Valentine's day, but the wife wasn't down with it. Looking back, Valentino sounded quite lame.

He's ok with other dogs after a good warm up period. And he's fine with people he doesn't know (when he's not on the leash). But usually he's the smallest creature. I'd be worried that he would either attack a cat or have a Lenny from 'Of Mice And Men' moment and play too rough and accidentally kill it. It should also be noted that my dog hates children, which I've always found odd.

And, no, Scott, his middle name isn't Russell, it's Killian. I wanted to name him Valentino, because we got him on Valentine's day, but the wife wasn't down with it. Looking back, Valentino sounded quite lame.

Most dogs have a good sense of another animal's strength/weakness and unless he really intended to hurt a kitten, he probably wouldn't. I say try it out, if you really want a cat. They could end up being best friends.

That was my hope. When my wife and I are at work, he gets pretty lonely and I think having someone or something around to keep him company would be good for him. We don't have the time, money or room for a second dog and cats are pretty low maintenance. Maybe we'll give it a go.

Yeah, cats are amazing and can be really rewarding if you spend time with them/give them affection. I don't know what I'd do without mine.

i totally miss having a kitty. we had a gorgeous one when we lived in manitoba, so playful. she used to hang out in the dryer and hide under the couch when people came over and attack their ankles.

Yeah, my little one still does that. It can be annoying at times, but it's also pretty cute because they're only kittens for so long. What happened with yours?