Vinyl Collector of the Day,Titus Haag/Vinyl Junkie

Guest admin1338560633

ive never been to sids, but from what ive seen online, or heard from friends its mostly soul and dance and disco stuff, which is not really my bag.

i should probably check it out for myself.

Vinyl Edge isnt bad. but they ebay price, so it takes forever to check out while they scour the internet to tell you how much the records you picked out are. and nothing is organized.

Vinyl Edge sounds horrible! Thanks.

I think I have a soft spot for Sid's because when I went his kid was there too, and I felt bad. He has a lot of other stuff besides records like toys and old Houston posters, but I could only find one record I wanted and I think the only reason he had it was because it's a Houston band. I think the reason I like it so much is because of the way it looks.

It was the Something Fierce LP.

Vinyl Edge sounds horrible! Thanks.

i wouldnt say horrible, but i wouldnt lump it in with "good" stores. Most people i know or talk to dont go out there often or at all. its pretty far out for most people so it requires a special trip. You can occasionally find something decent in there, but since there is no organization there are literally just boxes and boxes of unpriced records. you flip through 500 old 60's and 70's 45's just to find 3 punk records randomly in there. If you find something obscure enough that flies under the radar of ebay you can get a good score. It has the most selection in town though. problem is, without organization there is no "whats new" section. anything new gets randomly stuff in an unpriced/unorganized box with jazz and oldies, so going there often is pointless since you have to start all over looking through EVERYTHING. the new stuff is mixed in with the used, etc.

I feel like I don't need to fill one of these out now because Titus said a lot of what I wanted to. Good job.

im with you. i now can totally erase my vcotd/m/y/holiday/etcetc.

The only thing about Vinyl Junkie is it's a overwhelming list. I can't help but even skim through it without saying 'fuck it, i'll do it later". next time i'm in town Titus, i'd be up for a burrito and looking through your records if you're available.

titus runs the best distro,i scored a bunch of old school emo records that i couldent afford when i was still at school,where else are you gonna find mainspring and inkwell records??.if the kids wanna take photos of their records to show their mates, all power to them,i think we need to document everything that goes on in our hardcore/punk scene so that in10-20 years down the line we can look back on each record that was released and know the pressing info without scratching our heads,for example how many copies of the hoover/lincoin split were on clear blue,how many were on gold??? i really only buy one of each record and play it to death mostly but each to their own,....we need record nerds ...nerd out.

for example how many copies of the hoover/lincoin split were on clear blue,how many were on gold???

as a Hoover nut, I would like to know this.. but really, I don't care. I have both of those because I got them for a good price. will I keep them both? probably not. in fact, I am in the midst of looking through all of my records and doing the keep/sell piles.

The only thing about Vinyl Junkie is it's a overwhelming list. I can't help but even skim through it without saying 'fuck it, i'll do it later".

It took me about a week to go through them all. I clicked the new titles button and that gives 100 results per page. I bookmarked the stuff I want and now I just click the new title button to see what he got. I'd much rather do it on a computer than in person.

clicking on the new titles is good if you are only looking for the new distro items. If you are keeping an eye out for used stuff clicking on the "whats new" only is pointless. Cause ive had most records in at least once. And if i originally added it 3 years ago, and sold a copy, and just got a new copy and put it up today, it wont show up in the new releases, cause technically its a restock, and it still thinks i added it 3 years ago.

so the used items that show up in the "new releases" are items i have never had in the store before, which at this point is less than 10% of the used records that i put up every day.

all i can say TITUS is if you ever come across UNION OF URANUS vinyl, think of me when you do. i've been looking for that crap everywhere and have yet to come across any except on ebay and i always get sniped.

so good. I need more of their records. Last time I checked the price really came down on that HHIG split lp. I still need to get a copy of that.