The Best Record Stores in the USA

not sure how Vinyl Fever made the list. not that it's a bad store, they just really don't have a big selection, especially in comparison to other stores in the area like Mojo Books and Music or Daddy Kool.

When they first opened, Mojo didn't hold a candle to Vinyl Fever. For the past several years, though, they've been the best record store in Florida. Daddy Kool is alright, but their new releases are waaay marked up.

This. Mojo for the win.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really glad to see Shake It made the list. That place is fantastic.

As for the Chicago stores (Laurie's and Dave's), I like them both. I made some ridiculous scores about both of them a couple weeks ago. Dave's usually is really expensive but sometimes he gets used stuff in and doesn't know what he has. Case in point, I nabbed an original Hectic by Operation Ivy, I Don't Want to Grow Up by The Descendents on red, an original Queen is Dead by The Smiths and a couple other things for under $50. It's definitely worth picking over.

Dude, I scored an Isis record at Dave's that usually runs about $75 on eBay for only $22. I looked up on the wall behind him and he had about 20 copies of it along with quite a few other Isis rarities in multiples. I found a copy of Pelican's City of Echoes for about $20 which normally goes for at least $40 on eBay. I think those are cases of "doesn't know what he has." All the better for me.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the Reckless stores out here in Chicago.

I don't even shop the Fetus anymore, never find much that's out of the ordinary there. Treehouse has a way better selection, get all kinds of oddball new releases and stuff I never see at any other local stores. Treehouse definitely beats out the Fetus.

Extreme Noise has a great selection too, haven't been there in so long though. Cheapo is decent, especially Cheapo Uptown. I just splurge on used cd's at Cheapo mostly though. Treehouse has a better selection and history than the Fetus, they should have made the list instead.

the real question: is Hymie's worth the trip for current records or are they strictly vintage? I've never been in there.

Yeah man...I think Treehouse is the best for me...especially for how small it is. I've found some pretty sweet deals there.

Electric Fetus never has any good used vinyl so I've never really found a good deal there. They did have like...every record for RSD x 100 though which was kind of sweet.

Cheapo is a few blocks from my apt so it's usually the place I go if I want to buy a record that just came out immediately instead of walking another 8 blocks to Treehouse. Haha.

I'm really glad to see Shake It made the list. That place is fantastic.

As for the Chicago stores (Laurie's and Dave's), I like them both. I made some ridiculous scores about both of them a couple weeks ago. Dave's usually is really expensive but sometimes he gets used stuff in and doesn't know what he has. Case in point, I nabbed an original Hectic by Operation Ivy, I Don't Want to Grow Up by The Descendents on red, an original Queen is Dead by The Smiths and a couple other things for under $50. It's definitely worth picking over.

Dude, I scored an Isis record at Dave's that usually runs about $75 on eBay for only $22. I looked up on the wall behind him and he had about 20 copies of it along with quite a few other Isis rarities in multiples. I found a copy of Pelican's City of Echoes for about $20 which normally goes for at least $40 on eBay. I think those are cases of "doesn't know what he has." All the better for me.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the Reckless stores out here in Chicago.

Yeah why isn't Reckless on there? That's stupid.

I'd say like....1 in 10 times of going to Dave's I'd find some way good deal but usually it was just an hour of looking. I got the Friday Night Lights soundtrack for 15 bucks a couple years ago and was pretty excited about that.

i used to love reckless in the early 2000's. but the last couple times i went there a year or two ago all the prices on used stuff had shot up quite a bit. Plus its always picked over since there are a million people in there daily. So you can find some awesome stuff, but your timing has to be just right.

Vintage vinyl is absolutely terrible. Awful overpriced selection. I go in there to get sleeves and boxes and then continue on my way to PREX.

hmmm that must have changed since I was last there a few years back.. I remember the prices being reasonable and staff being pretty nice. and informative.

I ike VV but I feel prex has a way better selection/prices of things,I need to go there and VV soon. I wouldnt call VV terrible either, good but not great.

soundgarden is such a shitty store. very rarely do they have anything that is a legitimate "find". but yeah, if you want a new hipster record they sell it, but not for cheap. they are awesome when it comes to dvds/cds, but aside from that, fuck it.

true vine is cool. to be honest i've only gone once but that's because i don't remember there being a large punk section. i did get a sweet RHCP record there for cheap, i was pretty happy. guy was real nice too.

but really, if you're in baltimore and don't stop by CELEBRATED SUMMER RECORDS, you're truly missing out.

I was little disappointed with Soundgarden when I went there, except for their wall of photos of people from The Wire in the store. I didn't find any cool vinyl there, but I did steal one of their sign ideas ("Remember, all vinyl pressings are limited - buy now or cry later")

I found a lot of sweet stuff at True Vine the first time I was in Baltimore, but the second time they had moved to a smaller location and didn't have as much. There's a cool little antique shop down the block from True Vine, I can't remember what it's called but it's right off The Avenue, and I've found some cool stuff there before and the owner is really nice.

I'm looking forward to checking out Celebrated Summer's new Hampden location next time I'm down there. I got a bunch of sweet stuff at the Towson location a couple years ago.