Significant others (vinyl and human)

To all of you who aren't destined to be single and loserish forever, say you are dating someone who has their own record collection. Would you combine (alphabetical or whatever) or keep seperate.

I was dating someone two years ago who got all pissy at me that I wouldn't combine collections with her. My reasoning was that I spent a lot of time and money in my collection and that it was something I was proud of (also, she had some records I didn't want touching mine, ha!). For her, it was proof I would never fully commit to her (we were both right! Fortunately I found someone a thousand times radder with a way better collection and we share a shelf but have vowed to never combine - although I guess it could happen sometime).

What would you do?

This is why I cringe every time I see Jeff's sig on here that says "Our records." I hope he and his girlfriend are together for a long time and get married and have kids and all that, but man, if something goes south, I would not want to be in the same room as them when they divvy up the record collection.

Guest scriptedrain
This is why I cringe every time I see Jeff's sig on here that says "Our records." I hope he and his girlfriend are together for a long time and get married and have kids and all that, but man, if something goes south, I would not want to be in the same room as them when they divvy up the record collection.

Me too, man, me too. We started collecting together though, and we have a strong relationship (not just saying / imagining that), so I don't worry about it. I bet we can remember 95% of the reasons behind purchases since we just started collecting in 2006 (Ex: For ourselves, gift, add to one another's collecting [my Death Cab, her White Stripes]). We've also combined CDs, DVDs, etc., so I can see where the worry would come in. I don't think there is a universal answer to the original question, I mean at some point you'll tie down with someone and if you're both into collecting something, it feels good to put it all together. Just make sure they're the one before you do.

until you wed this significant other... never combine.

That's my vote. However, I would probably still keep them separate after the marriage, but can share them. Like, I can listen to hers and she can listen to mine.

Aggreed. However I would say never combine, but share. You can listen to hers and she can listen to yours, but only under supervision. The sucky thing about washington is the moment she uses anything that belongs to you, it becomes 50% hers, including your house the moment she moves in. So if you let her listen to your records, they become her records also. Which means that if you guys break up, and she smashes your records she wont be in trouble with the law, because they were technically her records also. Fucked up if you ask me. Point being, dont let her move in.

i dont think i would ever combine my records with a girlfriend. fortunately, my current girl [2+ yrs running] has no interest in records whatsoever. should we end up living together, i could see combining cds/dvds/books, but i mean records??? that shit is personal, man. its like combining underwear drawers or something.

My wife doesn't care about records so it has never impacted me. Actually, she doesn't have much of anything. She doesn't buy DVD's, she doesn't buy many CD's (most of what she listens to are mine). She's not super media heavy. I probably wouldn't combine anyhow as I'm insane like that.

That said, she did buy most of the prints we have in the house. This is my favorite:

[image]

It's awesome!

Guest baseball

Dante, please tell me she got that online somewhere.

My girlfriend will flip her lid over that and we have a 2 year anniversary coming up in 2 weeks.

My girlfriend will flip her lid over that and we have a 2 year anniversary coming up in 2 weeks.

We actually got a really nice framed print at a Home Goods on our way to Fresno. That said it seems to be easy to find prints of it online.

Just google "Pug Orange Juice" or this place has some:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Pug-Orange-Juice-Posters_i2102951_.htm

Just a note, we did not pay nearly as much as they're asking for a framed print.

Pug Orange Juice: Spread the love

Guest baseball

We actually got a really nice framed print at a Home Goods on our way to Fresno. That said it seems to be easy to find prints of it online.

Just google "Pug Orange Juice" or this place has some:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Pug-Orange-Juice-Posters_i2102951_.htm

Just a note, we did not pay nearly as much as they're asking for a framed print.

Pug Orange Juice: Spread the love

Really, Home Goods. That's excellent because there's one right near my office here. I'll check that out, thanks!

My wife doesn't care about records so it has never impacted me. Actually, she doesn't have much of anything. She doesn't buy DVD's, she doesn't buy many CD's (most of what she listens to are mine). She's not super media heavy. I probably wouldn't combine anyhow as I'm insane like that.

That said, she did buy most of the prints we have in the house. This is my favorite:

[image]

It's awesome!

holy shit im ordering that ASAP. my little pug got spayed today.