Rep your hometown/where you live...

I haven't seen a thread like this yet, so here goes...show some love (or hate if you want) for some of the local bands in your neck of the woods. You never know, you may find a new band or two you like. I won't include links because I am lazy, but I am sure you can google all of these.

Tampa and the surrounding areas:

* Worldwide Zoo (shameless plug haha...instrumental funk/acid jazz/bullshit)

* Cult Ritual (noisy hardcore)

* Merchandise (post punk/goth...new 12" is sick)

* Green Sunshine (hip hop/soul/funk)

* Neon Blud (noisy hardcore...should be on tour now)

* Auto! Automatic!! (instrumental prog/math rock)

* Devout (hardcore)

* Red Room Cinema (post-rock, though I haven't heard their new stuff yet)

* The Grecian Urns (indie folk)

* Nazi Dust (hardcore)

There are tons more, believe me...

Edit: Such as: The Beauvilles, Candy Bars, Volcanic Slut, Pugfort, Elysium, Criminal Culture, The Tim Version, New Bruises, Guiltmaker, Centuries, Cellgraft, Dads, Slave Scene, Month Mind, and on and on...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen a thread like this yet, so here goes...show some love (or hate if you want) for some of the local bands in your neck of the woods. You never know, you may find a new band or two you like. I won't include links because I am lazy, but I am sure you can google all of these.

Tampa and the surrounding areas:

* Worldwide Zoo (shameless plug haha...instrumental funk/acid jazz/bullshit)

* Cult Ritual (noisy hardcore)

* Merchandise (post punk/goth...new 12" is supposed to be sick)

* Green Sunshine (hip hop/soul/funk)

* Neon Blud (noisy hardcore...should be on tour now)

* Auto! Automatic!! (instrumental prog/math rock)

* Devout (hardcore)

* Red Room Cinema (post-rock, though I haven't heard their new stuff yet)

* The Grecian Urns (indie folk)

* Nazi Dust (hardcore)

There are tons more, believe me, but I figured I would stop at 10.

you are so lucky to live in an area with a thriving music scene. wilmington, delaware here...there's the spinto band who i saw a few times at this hole in the wall coffee shop before they went on mtv2. other than that, i just look to the philly scene...used to really dig the teeth from over there.

Hey, you can always start a band and make the Delawacore scene. ;D

How far is Philly from you?

its about 30 miles. but the way i drive i get there like its across the street. the scene there seems to really be on the rise lately with more venues and what not..there used to be what some could call a delacore (haha) scene, but a lot of our venues have closed down. my old band practically broke up out of boredom afterward...and two of the guys claimed it cost too much to drive to philly. bummer for me

Las Vegas....

Uhhhh we used to have this sweet band Curl up and Die...

Panic! at the Disco and the Killers are from here soooo.....

Yeah... :-/

you don't like panic? or did something go over my head? i guiltily spent hours listening to their first album. pretty odd was...pretty odd though. when panic played wth fall out boy and blink182 in summer 09 i thought they were by far the best of the three

Hey, you can always start a band and make the Delawacore scene. ;D

How far is Philly from you?

its about 30 miles. but the way i drive i get there like its across the street. the scene there seems to really be on the rise lately with more venues and what not..there used to be what some could call a delacore (haha) scene, but a lot of our venues have closed down. my old band practically broke up out of boredom afterward...and two of the guys claimed it cost too much to drive to philly. bummer for me

Hey nowadays you can do it all yourself on a laptop and then find band members after the fact. I am probably going to end up doing a throwback hardcore/thrash project that way.

Hey nowadays you can do it all yourself on a laptop and then find band members after the fact. I am probably going to end up doing a throwback hardcore/thrash project that way.

so incredibly funny and oddly reassuring that you said that...that's exactly what i'm doing at the moment. create the whole thing, market it to the right musicians, go to them or have them come to you, profit.

Good luck with your endeavors! ;D

MILWAUKEE!

Chinese Telephones, Get Rad, Goodnight Loving, The Midwest Beat (kinda), Eine Kleine Chinmuzik, Uh Oh, Enabler, Party By The Slice, Herds, Holy Shit!, The Daniel James Gang, Direct Hit!, Bored Games, Quest for Fire, and there is an ever rotating group of kids who start numerous different hardcore bands around here that I cannot even start to name.

so incredibly funny and oddly reassuring that you said that...that's exactly what i'm doing at the moment. create the whole thing, market it to the right musicians, go to them or have them come to you, profit.

Good luck with your endeavors! ;D

+1 fo' sho'

Guest errolwest

for being a shitty city, regina has some great bands:

mypace.com/invasionsk INVASION(me and my friends making hardcore!)

http://www.myspace.com/moltenlavamusic MOLTEN LAVA(drum and bass shredding!)

http://www.myspace.com/kleins96 kliens 96 (awesome skate punk!)

http://www.myspace.com/failedstatessk (super awesome cruust band that loves to ride bikes!)

New Bedford, MA

about an hour south of boston, 30-45 minutes north of prov

4th largest city in mass

historic as fuck, we were the whaling capital and richest city in the world during the late 1800s

thoreau even hungout downtown for a few years back in his day

the movie The Accused is based upon an '80s gang bang that took place in a new bedford bar

its a very crime ridden place now, the gangs refer to new bedford as "secret city" because no one snitches. except a few years ago like 40 latin kings were rounded up and arrested in one day. another time homeland security showed up and deported hundreds of illegal factory workers. we also have the oldest continously operating jail in the US, i actually visited it last new year's around 6am to pick my friend's girlfriend up after she spazzed out and went on a drunken rampage

now lets talk punk/hardcore-

birthplace of pat flynn (have heart), his dad actually taught me latin in high school rest his soul

xfilesx

smackin' isaiah/a wilhelm scream (if my avatar didnt make that obvious enough)

all chrome

et tu brute

sex positions

outrage

half hearted hero

breathing fire

wolf whistle

retaliation

so automatic

also

one of the guys in LFO was from the area, and kevin antunes who wrote for nsync/justin timberlame and toured in the backing band

the scene is kind of at a low point right now, not a lot of new bands or venues really. being away for the past three years has really made me miss the place, taco bell in boston just isn't the same.

Salt Lake. Nowhere near as shitty as you think it is, I promise. Our punk scene has always been pretty crappy, but I've been super into a bunch of local metal bands lately.

Eagle Twin (myspace.com/eagletwin)

Doom duo featuring Gentry Densley (formerly of Iceburn, 1/2 of Ascend). Signed to Southern Lord and toured with Sunn O))) for most of last year

Gaza (myspace.com/gaza)

Chaotic hardcore/death/grind. Toured the whole fucking world (minus Salt Lake, of course) with Converge this year, on the road with The Red Chord right now and on Metal Blade Records.

Reviver (myspace.com/reviverhc)

Melodic-ish hardcore that reminds me of a cross between This Is Hell and Defeater. Spend more time on the road than in Salt Lake. New EP is awesome.

Yaotl Mictlan (myspace.com/yaotlmictlan)

Black metal with indigenous Mexican instrumentation and lyrics inspired by pre-Colombian mythology. Way good.

St. Louis, Missouri. So much more than a stainless steel arch and Anheuser Busch.

Black for a Second – All Jawbreaker fans should check these guys out. http://www.myspace.com/blackforasecond

The Disappeared - Postpunk bordering hardcore. FFO Strike Anywhere, A Wilhelm Scream, Pennywise, etc... http://www.myspace.com/thedisappearedarecoming

Everything Went Black – Hardcore influenced by American Nightmare. http://www.myspace.com/everythingwentblackus

The Haddonfields – Punk/Pop-Punk that's a little more gruff than Teenage Bottlerocket, but not quite as gruff as Dillinger Four. They also have four singers. http://www.myspace.com/thehaddonfields

The Humanoids – Do you like the Decedents? http://www.myspace.com/thehumanoidsruleearth

((Thorlock)) – Sludgy metal stuff that's not slow and boring. Amazing guitar player. Huge in Germany. http://www.myspace.com/thorlocktheband

The Wifflers – Poppy Punk with vocals that sound like they have a touch of Trevor Keith to me. http://www.myspace.com/thewifflers

Denver punk/hc/metal/etc:

-To Be Eaten (best metal band in D-town)

-Adai (currently killing it all over the US on tour with a new album)

-Green Fuse (no longer a band. still the best)

-Cannons (new band. kinda DC-ish in the sound, but more intense. slightly proggy. first recording kills it)

-I Sank Molly Brown (punk noodling, been around for a long time, new CD coming out in a few weeks

-Crawl (awesome intense hc)

-Eyes and Ears (punk and rock goodness)

-Collapse (new band with new recording released soon. Members of To Be Eaten and Cephalic Carnage, others. This shit slays!)

-Windows (varied and layered noise. dense. ugly)

-Big Timber (no longer a band. last CD was awesome college rock stuff)

Labels that don't ride the trends:

-Not Bad Records (since 1997. www.notbadrecords.com)

-Ash From Sweat (since 2001. www.ashfromsweat.com)

Weather report:

-Wintery. Cold. Grey. Bleak.

I'm from Delaware:

Jade Tree

Boy Sets Fire

Walleye

The Kill Quota

Stormwatch

Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganza

Zen Geurrilla

DuPont

Best beaches on the East Coast

convenient drive to DC, Philly, Baltimore, NYC

And the illest punks in the world

Notice I didn't mention George Thorogood or our beloved vice president. That's because I hate them and they suck.

Minneapolis or just MN in general. endless possibilities.

the obvious:

PRINCE!, Atmosphere, Low, Babes In Toyland, Soul Asylum, Semisonic, Husker Du, The Replacements, Bob Dylan, Dillinger Four, Off With Their Heads, Doomtree/P.O.S., Tapes N Tapes.

the rest: Mel Gibson And The Pants, Digitata, Lookbook, The Plastic Constellations, Cadillac Blindside, The Crush, The Evening Rig, The Cardinal Sin, Maps Of Norway, Red Pens, The Soviettes, Huge Rat Attacks, Song Of Zarathustra, Chariots, Chibalo, Building Better Bombs, STNNNG, Pretty Boy Thorson, Slow Death, Marijuana Death Squad, Seawhores, The Nina! The Pinta!, Buildings, Gay Beast, Kill The Vultures, Oddjobs, Kentucky Gag Order, Belles Of Skin City, The Book Of Right On, Malachi Constant, Volante, Hockey Night, Free Energy, A Whisper In The Noise, Martyr AD, Disembodied, Harvest, American Head Charge, Vampire Hands, Rivethead, Cave Deaths, Knife World, Sleeping In The Aviary, City On The Make, Bird Sounds, The Funeral And The Twilight, Claps, Zombie Season, Communist Daughter, Calvin Krime, Gnomes Of Zurich, Janitor Joe, Freedom Fighters, February, Deformo, Kid Dakota, Charlie Parr, Trampled By Turtles, The Black-Eyed Snakes, Haley Bonar, Ela, Cloud Cult, icollide, Koalas, After The Burial, The Swiss Army, Nomia, Daughters Of The Sun, Styrofoam Duck, The Millionth Word, Vox Vermillion, Eyedea & Abilities, The Umbrella Sequence, Dragons Power Up!, Gospel Gossip, Baby Guts, Suspect Bill, Umbrella Bed...

overload.

actors and shit:

Rachel Leigh Cook, Josh Hartnett, Dr. Demento, Nick Swardson, Jesse Ventura (ha), Louie Anderson, Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver!), Dave Ellefson (Megadeth), Judy Garland, Mitch Hedberg, Seann William Scott (Stifler!).

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':xvulwin8]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':xvulwin8]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');