Against Me! Leave Sire Records/Tour/New Drummer

patron

George can't tour because of Hot Water shows I believe.

Against Me will forever be Tom and friends.

I don't know about that, the Tom, Andrew, and James trio have been there longer than any other.

Also, were Hot Water Music shows confirmed?

Very true, but I thought I read the only record they actually collaborated on was Searching for a Former Clarity. It just kind of seems like Tom really runs the show. I'm not complaining and I'd be surprised if Andrew or James ever left. I love this band, just saying that's how it seems to me.

I think the dates have been confirmed. HWM and the Bouncing Souls are playing together and have that new 7" coming out. I'm sure George will need some time off to write and record (and hopefully tour) for the new HWM record in 2011.

Now im interested to hear the new album. I bet it will contain a lot less suck
This. I loved most of New Wave but White Crosses is near unlistenable, really.

Damn, I'm kind of the opposite. (While I didn't find New Wave anywhere close to unlistenable, I hold it far behind White Crosses)

this is a weird move for me. seeing as either tom gabel, or someone close to him, or the producer of white crosses or someone came out a while ago saying that that was the album that would "get them playing arenas" (or words to that effect), they clearly want to be a big band, which is fine, but it seems like leaving a major isn't the the way to accomplish that. it's also weird they're doing it so soon after white crosses came out, which he's clearly proud of.

edit: i guess their contract ran out so it was kinda likely they were gonna leave anyway, i'll be interested to see where they end up

this is a weird move for me. seeing as either tom gabel, or someone close to him, or the producer of white crosses or someone came out a while ago saying that that was the album that would "get them playing arenas" (or words to that effect), they clearly want to be a big band, which is fine, but it seems like leaving a major isn't the the way to accomplish that. it's also weird they're doing it so soon after white crosses came out, which he's clearly proud of.

edit: i guess their contract ran out so it was kinda likely they were gonna leave anyway, i'll be interested to see where they end up

Well he never said they weren't going to sign to a different major. Just that they won't be with Sire anymore.

Well he never said they weren't going to sign to a different major. Just that they won't be with Sire anymore.

yeah thats what i realized after i posted

honestly, I don't see the difference b/w signing to a major or a big indie label like Epitaph or side one. It seems that most of the majors are working in an indie model now anyways, am I wrong?

I'd say it's more like Epitaph and Side One are working in a major-like model.

Off topic... What are the "rules" for being an indie label these days? Amount of records sold? Distributor? Working out of your basement?

Not trying to call out the punk police, just looking for some opinions.

Epitaph and Side One are still totally indie labels.

Some "indie" labels, like Fueled By Ramen, have just turned into major label "feeder" labels. They basically are owned by a major and then once one of their artists become big enough they just get upstreamed to the major that owns that "indie" label.

Also I assume this AM! announcement means Sire dropped them right? I cant imagine they wanted to sign AM! to a new contract and AM! saying no to that.

...and speaking of Epitaph I wouldnt be supirsed at all if Epitaph signed AM! now.

Epitaph and Side One are still totally indie labels.

Some "indie" labels, like Fueled By Ramen, have just turned into major label "feeder" labels. They basically are owned by a major and then once one of their artists become big enough they just get upstreamed to the major that owns that "indie" label.

Also I assume this AM! announcement means Sire dropped them right? I cant imagine they wanted to sign AM! to a new contract and AM! saying no to that.

...and speaking of Epitaph I wouldnt be supirsed at all if Epitaph signed AM! now.

Well said Travis. People forget that indie doesn't mean good. Epitaph might put out some shitty mall rock but they do it in a non-corporate way. And they use the Mall money on Nick Cave. Which is awesome.