Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra) - Daytrotter 7"

The part that doesn't make sense to me is why Daytrotter would want to team up with an unknown, brand new label called Smelly Beard to release their first vinyl release that they would sell in their store. Daytrotter is a pretty well-known company so I'd assume they would just do it themselves or team up with a more proven label.

Also I think it's pretty unprofessional for the guy from Smelly Beard to come on here and complain about how long it's taken Daytrotter to respond to his emails and try to shift the responsibility onto them. Something just doesn't seem right to me here.

I was not complaining, I was stating why this is taking as long as it has. Sean and the dudes at Daytrotter are cool, and I'm glad they are wanting to get this out there but they are busy and do Daytrotter everyday so it's not surprising that they don't refresh their email constantly waiting for my replies.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why all these kids are getting their panties in a bunch. I only see one person here putting their money, time and effort into releasing a record, regardless of how long it's taking. If it comes to fruition, that's great. If it doesn't, are you going to lose any money, sleep, tampons? No. More bizarre things have happened than an obscure label releasing a well known artist's music.

Edit: I know I'm a bit late to the game but it's a free bump nonetheless

I don't get why all these kids are getting their panties in a bunch. I only see one person here putting their money, time and effort into releasing a record, regardless of how long it's taking. If it comes to fruition, that's great. If it doesn't, are you going to lose any money, sleep, tampons? No. More bizarre things have happened than an obscure label releasing a well known artist's music.

Because everyone wants everyone else to fail, natural human disorder! Hope you get this out sometime pal

Because everyone wants everyone else to fail, natural human disorder! Hope you get this out sometime pal

Agreed.

Completely fucked up but I think it is because people find comfort for when shit goes wrong in their life and they subtly have to feel better that they are not the only ones.

And to this coming out good luck, but honestly I would be/am scared to mention things until they are set in stone and at the press. Just seems to be the safest bet anyway to not mention things or take pre-orders until 100% certain they are green light and in a timely manner.

Do not get me wrong I love pre-orders and wish they would all just charge once shipped but pre-orders too early are bound to problems and bumps in the road pushing them back. Majority of people don't like that and thus bickering and complaining ensues, in some cases rightfully so.

In the oilfield it is called CYA, cover your ass; thus my shinfo of an opinion to wait and make sure everything is in stone before making anything public.

Money - None

Time and Effort - Sending some tweets and thinking up color schemes

Obscure Label - No music has been released it isn't a label

I won't be buying this because I'm not interested in the music. I saw Manchester Orchestra once and that was all I need from them. I just think it is pretty funny when someone announces a pre-order date before finalizing everything and then two months later, nothing.

Money - None

I won't be buying this because I'm not interested in the music. I saw Manchester Orchestra once and that was all I need from them. I just think it is pretty funny when someone announces a pre-order date before finalizing everything and then two months later, nothing.

how do you know how I stand financially? you're the one complaining about buying a $10 7" in the Valencia thread.

I agree that I made this thread a bit too early. I guess I was overly excited as It was going to be my first release. I set that date and when it got closer to the date and they still hadn't sent over a contract I took it down and just said that I would post info as it comes. After over 2 months of talking with them and getting all these fine details worked out they stopped emailing me. It sucks yeah, but what can ya do?

Money - None

how do you know how I stand financially? you're the one complaining about buying a $10 7" in the Valencia thread.

I agree that I made this thread a bit too early. I guess I was overly excited as It was going to be my first release. I set that date and when it got closer to the date and they still hadn't sent over a contract I took it down and just said that I would post info as it comes. After over 2 months of talking with them and getting all these fine details worked out they stopped emailing me. It sucks yeah, but what can ya do?

I am saying you haven't spent any money on the label. And what you could do was not announce a release/label that doesn't exist.

Someone who has a label and has had a lot of releases once told me "waiting game" and that the music industry is a lot of patience and waiting. Thus why my previous comments were suggestions of having things set in stone and covering your ass not only for business reasons, but also building any kind of relationship with potential clientele before every saying anything publicly. Sometimes shit happens and you gotta be smart about it cause everyone is gonna be looking at you and blaming you cause its got your name on it.

Hopefully you get the point of the above (I tend to needlessly ramble)

No biggie just learn from any mistakes for the future. Doesn't bother me none, but it does to a lot and if it happens repeatedly or deadlines are never met etc etc (even if not your fault or whatever the case may be) people are still going to have a tarnished outlook on you and any label effort....

Someone who has a label and has had a lot of releases once told me "waiting game" and that the music industry is a lot of patience and waiting. Thus why my previous comments were suggestions of having things set in stone and covering your ass not only for business reasons, but also building any kind of relationship with potential clientele before every saying anything publicly. Sometimes shit happens and you gotta be smart about it cause everyone is gonna be looking at you and blaming you cause its got your name on it.

Hopefully you get the point of the above (I tend to needlessly ramble)

No biggie just learn from any mistakes for the future. Doesn't bother me none, but it does to a lot and if it happens repeatedly or deadlines are never met etc etc (even if not your fault or whatever the case may be) people are still going to have a tarnished outlook on you and any label effort....

I do appreciate this advice, and I'm going to hold to this in the future. thanks!

Anyone who actually expects this release to come out is a little more then out of their mind, here in L.A. the character releasing this is well know, mostly for his shady business dealings and flakey incoherent booking practices. If these preorders ever make it up, I would never trust my hard earned money in the hands of Smelly Beard Records.

• 2 weeks later...