Best man speech

kgry

I've got about 2 weeks till my best bud gets married and I'm the best man. I'm not going to give some long speech and I already have most of it worked out. But I don't really know her all that well. Are you supposed to say anything other then "she's a great match for so and so"? I don't feel bad spending 99% of the speech on my friend but I don't want to totally exclude her.

i gave a best man speech and i hadnt really even met my friends bride to be until a day before the wedding. your best bet is to talk about how happy she makes him and how his mood/life/etc has improved since she's been around. you can mention something they really like doing together, too.

there should be a brides maid giving a speech focused on the bride, so dont worry about not talking about her too much.

I was a best man once. When my friend asked, I told him that I was afraid of public speaking and wouldn't want to make a speech (sorta true). Thinking back, I should have just done it but it was something I was terrified of. When we were at the reception, the photographer called for the speech and I freaked out because I had nothing prepared. Turns out, we were just taking 'speech/toast' pictures, which were really funny because I was standing there saying, "I'm supposed to be acting like I'm giving a speech but I'm not" while half-posing for the photographer.

Just say nice things and don't ad lib too much. You might end up saying that you're the best man if there's an open bar.

Some weddings let the Maid of Honor speak as well. If this is the case then you are partially off the hook since she will speak primarily of the bride and you the groom. I've done this four times now and I've always related a personal story about the friend and I to show a new side of him to the family he is joining. I also think it's classy to show you at least know that the bride makes your buddy a better person in some way without being totally cliche.

Good luck and don't make it too long - everyone really wants to get to the drink they are holding in their hands.

i was the maid of honor at my sister's wedding and had to give a speech. her husband and i are pretty close (he practically lived at my house for the past couple years) and i still only mentioned how well they complimented each other. oh, and i did make a crack about him driving like a little old lady.

it's pretty standard for the maid of honor to give a speech along with the best man these days.