PO: Protest The Hero 'Scurrilous'

Yeah Kezia is easy to find.... also sounds like shit :(... I was so dissapointed the first time I spun it. CD sounds waaaaay better.

Totally dude! I almost got another copy from UO but I forget why I didn't. Side B sounds good, Side A sounds like they tried to fit too much on it.

I think it would have made a great double 10 inch. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the new album is pretty decent. There's no screaming or real "heavy" moments, but the instrumental work is still top notch. Lyrics are significantly weaker; no conceptual story to tie them altogether... and I believe Rody wrote most of them, this time around. After only three or four plays, I'll say it's probably the weakest of PTH's albums. Which is still quite enjoyable, personally speaking. I plan on buying the vinyl, but it falls short to Fortress and Kezia. At least thus far.

In my opinion, the new album is pretty decent. There's no screaming or real "heavy" moments, but the instrumental work is still top notch. Lyrics are significantly weaker; no conceptual story to tie them altogether... and I believe Rody wrote most of them, this time around. After only three or four plays, I'll say it's probably the weakest of PTH's albums. Which is still quite enjoyable, personally speaking. I plan on buying the vinyl, but it falls short to Fortress and Kezia. At least thus far.

Thanks for your thoughts. So compare this album to say, Incubus. Let's say Kezia is their S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Fortress is their Make Yourself. Is this new album as bad as

Morning View - More mainstream sounding but not as good as previous works

A Crow Left Of The Murder - Trying to sound artsy-ish and it's just terrible

Light Grenades - Full blown fuckin garbage.

Hah, nice analogy.

In my opinion, I'd say it's definitely the band's Morning View. They traded quite a bit of originality for accessibility, I feel. What I love about Kezia and Fortress is that each and every song on those albums - more or less - has an utterly brilliant moment (or three). A completely unexpected bridge, a particularly sweet riff, a surprisingly awesome bass or drum segment, and so on. Moments that knocked me on my ass on the first listen, and continued to get better and better over time. And where the first two albums were riddled with them, I feel like I can count the number of standout instances with one hand, on Scurrilous.

Had this been their debut album, it would have been fine. It's a fun listen, but I feel like it's watered down when compared to everything else Protest has done. I try very hard to look at an artist's new release for what it is... and not compare it to past material. But when a band has only released top-notch albums, their first so-so attempt is going to stand out like a sore thumb. And that's exactly what this album suffers from, in my opinion.

That, and... some atrociously bad lyrics.

Maybe it'll grow on me. I'd probably give it a C+ so far.

Thanks for your response. For an entire summer at the record store I managed, every employee and some regular customers could and would sing-along to:

"Maybe someday when, when this bloody skull has dried.

Though our city is ruins, when our greatest source of pride.

A monument of dicks and ribs, and the gender crown we wore.

Where underneath a plague will read, will read

MAYBE SOMEDAYYYYYY"

Catchiest part to any song I've ever heard.

Loved Fortress and have it on purple vinyl, liked Kezia but I think I like scurrilous better than Kezia. It's definitely not better than fortress, but I'll welcome this refreshing PTH release with open arms amidst the endless regurgitated metalcore bands flooding the scene these days. Heres to hoping for a US vinyl release.

• 1 month later...