records damaged in a basement flood....

....sucks balls.

i lost about 155 records when my basement flooded and didn't get shit for them from the insurance company because they are considered collectibles.

alot of them were oldies from my step dad that i didn't bring into my collection yet. alot of todd rundgren, utopia and led zeppelin shit. i am kinda bummed.

is there any way to get records insured before a disaster? i understand that they are considered a collectible and could be worth me to me and vise versa, but is there a way to tell the insurance company i have this many records and say they are worth a flat 10 dollars per lp and 5 dollars for 7" or something like that so i get something for them? making sure i don't have a complete loss in the future.

When I was moving I left 3 milk crates of records in my car when it was broken into, and were stolen. I have renters and auto insurance with State Farm, nothing with my car was covered (only a window was shattered) but my renters insurance covered an iPod, a suit, glasses, and about 100 or so records ( I believe I claimed $10 or 12 per record). I provided a spreadsheet of the records stolen, and they didn't question anything, so I would imagine a homeowner insurance covering property would be similar. Even though their collectible, there is still a real replacement value.

it'll be different from company to company and policy to policy.

just need to ask your insurance company if it will be covered. if not, they should cover it (for additional fees of course) if you have the collection and appraised. even if the company will cover it, at say a flat rate per lp, 7" etc, if you have a large collection with high value items, might be worth having it appraised and going that route.

Company to Company varies but Allstate offered me a rider if I provided a list, values, etc. My collection is constantly changing and I have no confidence that reimbursement would be made so I instead purchased three waterproof, fireproof safes for my most prized LP's. The larger one holds about 30 records + other stuff, a second about 20 LP's and a smaller version for a few boxes of 7's.

When I was moving I left 3 milk crates of records in my car when it was broken into, and were stolen. I have renters and auto insurance with State Farm, nothing with my car was covered (only a window was shattered) but my renters insurance covered an iPod, a suit, glasses, and about 100 or so records ( I believe I claimed $10 or 12 per record). I provided a spreadsheet of the records stolen, and they didn't question anything, so I would imagine a homeowner insurance covering property would be similar. Even though their collectible, there is still a real replacement value.

yeah i kept insisting 5 dollars a record and he wouldn't budge.

yeah i am going to try and call and see if i can do this for the ones that were damaged. if not i hope they can insure the rest of my collection for some type of value. lots of years invested in those things.

In Soviet Russia record covers you!

My buddy here (Ohio) had his house burn down and they appraised he LPs for around $11 I believe, His cans of Coca Cola were appraised $40 a case lol. Home insurance or renters insurance should cover the damaged records. Different policies cover different items and I'm sure they will use every trick in the book to keep expensives low.

I insured my record/cd collection as an add on to my house insurance about 10 years ago, I believe most insurance companys value record collections at around £500, I insured my collection for £7000 and it only costs me a few quid extra each year, only bind was at the time I had to list everything, but I havnt had to re-do that ever since , and in a foot note on my re-newed policy every year it says record collection valued at £7000, kind of stops me changing insurance companys lo.