LA record stores

never been to vacation or freakbeat but origami kind of sucks. most of it is hipster junk that is readily available online and their used section is thrift store vintage records. IMO.

Vacation is more of a metal/hardcore shop. I agree with you on Origami. very rarely do I find something cool there. Freakbeat is pretty cool, a bit of everything.

Freakbeat is where I went for RSD last year. Pretty good store, 7"s aren't in any sort of order but I've always found a couple good ones in there and they don't take too long to go through.

Dr. Strange is really fairly priced...TONS of stuff, esp 7"s

Rhino in Claremont is pretty much a hipster place now and I hardly find anything in there that's worth the trouble.

Soundsations by LAX is pretty good. I've found some good deals there and I feel like their vinyl section is expanding between each of my visits.

so we ended up making it to:

Record Surplus (w. La)

Amoeba

Cadbury (pasadena)

Penny Lane (pasadena)

Poo Bah (pasadena)

nothing too exciting to report tho...

Freakbeat was too far out of the way. Atomic was going to be next but they were closed by the time we were headed that way. Same with Grady's (ventura) and Warbler (santa barbara). we were going to hit those on the way back. would like to hit freakbeat, atomic, rockaway, and cd trader next time.

yea, i'm still not sure how those stores w/ the musty smelling beat up records (usually not cheap either) stay in business...there is one in sac that i dunno who buys from...

Let me guess, are you talking about the store called "Records" that has piles of shit laying everywhere and is entirely covered in cat hair/piss from the cat that lives in the place?

I wrote about record stores in LA over here: http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43907&start=60#941304

never been to vacation or freakbeat but origami kind of sucks. most of it is hipster junk that is readily available online and their used section is thrift store vintage records. IMO.

Vacation is more of a metal/hardcore shop. I agree with you on Origami. very rarely do I find something cool there. Freakbeat is pretty cool, a bit of everything.

I go to both Origami and Vacation to buy new records and they usually do a pretty good job spotlighting local and obscure indie music in their stores. They aren't really places to look for a lot of variety of used records (they buy pretty strictly to their taste when it comes to used records) but I have a lot of love for both stores and usually end up there once a week.

yea, i'm still not sure how those stores w/ the musty smelling beat up records (usually not cheap either) stay in business...there is one in sac that i dunno who buys from...

Let me guess, are you talking about the store called "Records" that has piles of shit laying everywhere and is entirely covered in cat hair/piss from the cat that lives in the place?

Yep

The only thing that's kind of a drag about Rockaway is you have to ask the guy behind the counter for a specific box of 7"s and then he stands there staring at you while you flip through them. They are an excellent place for really rare records though. It's fun just to look at their shit in the glass cases.

Also, Burntwolf. I'm sorry you wasted your time at Poo Bah and Penny Lane. I could have told you to skip those. Hopefully you found something worth your time there!

Ended up just going to freakbeat. Pretty cool store. Their used vinyl wasn't terribly overpriced and they had a lot in there considering the size of the store. It kinda sucked that the new vinyl section was so overstuffed you could barely thumb through it. Picked up a Smiths - Strangeways uk import for $20