OFWGKTA East Coast Tour

Part of me is mildly skeptical that they're just something the "industry" cooked up, but whatever, they're a lot of fun and there are some genuinely great songs. I do loathe how much Tyler uses "faggot" in his lyrics and on his Twitter though.

They definitely arent something the music industry cooked up. My cousin owns Fucking Awesome (clothing company) who kinda sponsors OF and he's good friends with the OF guys and has told me about how DIY they are. They seem to have control over all their own stuff.

I agree with the over use of the word faggot by these guys but its really not that much different from what Eminem was doing back in the day. These guys are just more vulgar with it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also that Earl video is awesome, his whole album is pretty amazing. Its even more amazing when you consider how young he was when he made that.

This. Earl's flow is brilliant, when you consider he's almost 10 years younger than Eminem was when he released his debut it's made all the more impressive.

And what you said before, I also have friends from California who are good friends with them, they're definitely not put together.

What a well-reasoned and mature counter-argument! I've certainly seen the error of my ways. Huzzah, internet!

Oh, shit, was this supposed to be a civilized debate? My bad, I thought this was a VC thread about rap music.

I never implied that you expected people to care about your job, nor do I care what you do for a living. I was taking the piss, something you really should come to expect by now. Seriously though, you seem to care less about the music and more about the fact that people who live in Williamsburg and wear ironic Scottie Pippen jerseys are into them. Who cares if hipsters like them, is their subculture really any worse than any other self-indulgent subculture, many of which are celebrated on this board? This is a group that exudes raw talent and potential, and they're all super young. You can try and deny that, but to throw around terms like "near-unlistenable", "minstrel show*" and "Forgive me if I don't want to enjoy something so phony, empty and without any sort of merit" demonstrates the same self-importance and ignorance you deride these so-called "hipsters" for.

*which for real is a stupid comparison. Why? Because they're black performers with a lot of white fans? All successful rappers, be it mainstream, "underground", or "indie", have a lot of white fans. You could make a better argument for Lil Wayne or Lil Jon or rappers along those lines being "modern day minstrel shows". Considering that minstrel shows were created and performed by white people in blackface and exploited black stereotypes, you could make the argument that all the "getting-crunk-in-the club-bitch-i'll-shoot-ya-in-tha-face" rap/R&B artists, funded by white-owned record labels and played on white-owned Top 40 stations for white people, is a modern-day minstrel show. This, on the other hand, is a group of friends who have self-released a billion mixtapes for free and maintained complete creative control over everything they do, working only with friends and people they know. People recognized that it was cool and started paying attention to them. I realize this was probably some tossed-off comment, but with all the actual racist shit that goes down even in this day and age, people can get so sensitive about it that they start calling it out when it doesn't exist and that bugs me.

I guess I mad now.

Also that Earl video is awesome, his whole album is pretty amazing. Its even more amazing when you consider how young he was when he made that.

Earl is a big reason for all of Odd Future's hype. The kid came out of nowhere at age 16 with a solid record that shows a ton of promise. It's kind of like a 5 Tool Baseball Prospect. Then he DROPPED off the map. The story is interesting, fun to speculate, etc...

Glad to hear they're not something created, thanks!

It's a pretty creepy article but still interesting. I was under the impression the rest of the group were pretty pissed about him being sent away so maybe the mother is hanging something over their heads as he isnt 18 yet? I don't know. Either way I am real excited for him to get out and to see where they all go from here.

boston did too. my friend was on ticketmaster, couldnt believe it when it said sold out, checked twitter, and it was a shit show of "#soldout?!?!?!?!"

i suppose the good news is that when he was ready to buy, he forgot he was supposed to buy me one too. so at least i dont get shafted out of a show that my friends do go to.