PO: Flaming Lips *Heady Nuggs 1992-2002 Box Set

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does everyone realize the colored version of the boxset was only available from the band's website store yet?? ??? ::)

no one should have even received a copy if they ordered it yet, people just started mentioning that it shipped.

I read some people who ordered a expedited shipping option have received it.

perhaps it's only for the colored edition... not numbered. no promo stickers on the shrinkwrap. anyone notice the text on the lip of inside the box?

and yes... i'm in awe of the colored vinyl. mine looks a bit more marbled/splattered.

i've read that some who ordered the colored edition received black copies of "Transmissions...." rather than white.

i'm not a fan of white vinyl... but this one is amazing...

perhaps it's only for the colored edition... not numbered. no promo stickers on the shrinkwrap. anyone notice the text on the lip of inside the box?

Oddly enough, you're right - not numbered and no RSD sticker. I don't really care about the sticker but would've liked to have a numbered copy for sure.

and yes... i'm in awe of the colored vinyl. mine looks a bit more marbled/splattered.

i've read that some who ordered the colored edition received black copies of "Transmissions...." rather than white.

i'm not a fan of white vinyl... but this one is amazing...

This happened to me and I'm pissed.

This happened to me and I'm pissed.

So, what happened? All discs were color except for Transmissions? Or was everything black vinyl?

Yes, all were on colored vinyl except Transmissions. I emailed Warner Bros. and they are going to replace it with a white version after I send the black back.

It looks like most/all of the colored copies of Clouds Taste Metallic in the box set are defective to varying degrees and have constant surface noise on every rotation.

If you have a copy of the colored box set, could you listen to yours and let me know how it is?

It looks like WB was at first offering a $10 refund or telling people to ship back the whole box at their own expense for a refund, but now they're saying this:

"Dear Flaming Lips Fan:

We apologize, but the distortion sounds are in the original master tapes and we produced the best quality recording we could.

Sincerely,

Warner Bros Records Online Customer Support"

Which is total bullshit.

on "clouds taste metallic" there is some surface noise which is barely audible on my copy, thoroughly listened to via headphones and thru the loud speakers. upon reading your comment (surfingelectrode), i wanted to listen to the highs and lows (good example would be "bad days")... i have no complaints. better than the original green translucent vinyl...

while the pressing of this set would not be considered "audiophile quality" in my opinion, i could honestly say that i am quite pleased with the sound quality of all the albums... to say the least.

prime example of a flaming lips "audiophile quality" recording and a decent quality recording would be the two versions of "at war with the mystics", one on "180 gram high performance vinyl".... and the other on colored. i did purchase both versions and the difference is quite obvious... i no longer have the colored version.

overall, i give the colored version of the heady nuggs box set a 9 out of 10. 10 would have included zaireeka, but that's another story...

as for that response from the brothers at Warner... i agree 100%.

bullshit.

It looks like most/all of the colored copies of Clouds Taste Metallic in the box set are defective to varying degrees and have constant surface noise on every rotation.

If you have a copy of the colored box set, could you listen to yours and let me know how it is?

It looks like WB was at first offering a $10 refund or telling people to ship back the whole box at their own expense for a refund, but now they're saying this:

"Dear Flaming Lips Fan:

We apologize, but the distortion sounds are in the original master tapes and we produced the best quality recording we could.

Sincerely,

Warner Bros Records Online Customer Support"

Which is total bullshit.

Mine seems to play fine.