PRE-ORDERS...

It only ticks me off when it's for older releases. I can understand if there's a new album cause they're getting people excited for something with a set street date a few months in advance. But something that's already been released has no build-up. So why say, "You know that album you heard a year ago? Well get your orders in cause in 3 months you can listen to it again on vinyl!!" So we're just like... okay, what should I be getting excited about for 90 days?

EDIT: Okay the other thing that bothers me about pre-orders is when the only option to pre-order is to get the SUPER DELUXE BUNDLE!!! WHICH INCLUDES A T-SHIRT YOU DON'T WANT!! A 7 INCH OF A SONG THAT'S ALREADY ON THE ALBUM!!! LITHOGRAPH OF THE COVER SIGNED BY THE BAND THAT IS SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE RECORD COVER ITSELF AND SERVES NO PURPOSE!!! A 7 INCH OF THE BAND MAKING JOKES ABOUT ALL THE USELESS CRAP THEY'RE TRYING TO SHILL!! ONLY $89.99!!! HERE'S YOUR CHANCE TO BUY A TON OF SHIT CELEBRATING AN ALBUM YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU'LL LIKE!!

Please run for president. I'll vote for you.

i can understand for some smaller labels sometimes its easier to get things moving by doing pre-orders and i'm ok with that. Even if its get delayed and stuff as long as i'm updated somewhat frequently about whats going on i don't have a problem. but there's too many labels doing super long pre-orders and then not giving any real update besides "oh its delayed should be like 4 more weeks".

oh also another thing that really pisses me off now. labels do pre-orders and pretty much sell out the entire first pressing during it. why does this seem smart to anyone? i mean i understand having the limited variants or whatever as a pre-order but why not just do those? if i don't pre-order a record and i wait till the release date i shouldn't have to pre-order the 2nd pressing because said label decided to sell the entire first pressing before they even had the records.

and i agree with the poster above. why should i have to order a ton of shit i don't want just to get a limited variant? it jacks up shipping cost as well as just the cost of the package.

/rant

oh also another thing that really pisses me off now. labels do pre-orders and pretty much sell out the entire first pressing during it. why does this seem smart to anyone? i mean i understand having the limited variants or whatever as a pre-order but why not just do those? if i don't pre-order a record and i wait till the release date i shouldn't have to pre-order the 2nd pressing because said label decided to sell the entire first pressing before they even had the records.

/rant

I agree with your whole post pretty much, but wanted to add something about this. Usually labels who sell enough records to sell out a pressing quickly have distribution, and have to give a number of copies to their distributor to get into stores on release date and thereafter. Very often I will be completely sold out of a release the day it comes in, but that doesn't mean the record isn't available other places. I can't imagine it would be different for other labels, but maybe I am missing your point.