This whole american election thing

so is it all actually over yet ? it seems to have been going on forever !

this is just the election to elect the people who will run to be president yeah ?

Also , is there actually any republicans in this thing ? all i ever seem to hear about is the 2 democrats . when i was out there in jan , all i saw on news programs was stuff about Britteny spears / Hillary and Obama .

Guess people just cant wait to get old George out of the white house.

yeah, whats going on now is to determine who will be running for president. They are called primaries. each party votes for who they want to represent the party (democrat or republican) in the main election in November. Right now, its Barrack Obama and Hillary Clinton running for the Democrats and John McCain and Mike Huckabee running for the Republicans.

Guest baseball

Also , is there actually any republicans in this thing ? all i ever seem to hear about is the 2 democrats . when i was out there in jan , all i saw on news programs was stuff about Britteny spears / Hillary and Obama .

We like to treat our elections like sporting events here!

Ahhhh i see , i just found it very strange that all i saw/ see is about the two democrats .

is there much of a difference in policy's between the democrats and republicans ?

I only ask because over here both main political parties have more or less the exact same polices

there use to be a huge difference, with conservative been for the toffs / rich people and labor were all for the working man / women

But now there is really nothing that makes them different , and for our next election we have to choose between a stupid rich kid or a boring old sottish guy

The political parties and politics in general is slowly lurching towards massive change. A lot of people see Obama as a start to a more progressive Democratic party. Republicans seem to be split between those who like McCain and those who want someone far more conservative. Though the meaning of being a conservative, namely tight spending, has gone by the wayside.

Guest baseball

There's no difference in the end.

The Democrats play the 'change' card but are too incompetent to get anything done. Then they just blame the Republicans for said incompetence.

The Republicans play the 'values' card to distract their party members from their dysfunctional economic and social policies. When said policies don't turn out well, they blame the gays, minorities, and liberals who hate America.

Everybody wins! Well, except the general public.

The Democrats play the 'change' card but are too incompetent to get anything done. Then they just blame the Republicans for said incompetence.

The Republicans play the 'values' card to distract their party members from their dysfunctional economic and social policies. When said policies don't turn out well, they blame the gays, minorities, and liberals who hate America.

Truth. As Lewis Black said, Democrats have no ideas, republicans just have bad ideas.

This is what gets me about Hillary and her "I have a million jillion years of experience", shit like I want another fucking lifetime politician running my fucking country. We've had nothing but lifetime politicians for the last 100 years. If Hillary were to win it would mean that we've had a Bush or a Clinton in the white house (in some fashion) for over 30 fucking years! That's a fucking monarchy.

I don't think Obama is the light and the truth but he's at least five fucking degrees different.

cynicism ftw!

You saved me a bunch of typing.