PO: Set Your Goals - Burning At Both Ends

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say I thought this was better Suburbia, just that on first listen it was more enjoyable. Parts of this album actually stood out to me.

But, there is way too much harmonizing on this record, and makes the vocals fairly annoying at times. Also, "Product of the 80's" has to be one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Way too silly to be anything more than a bonus track.

I don't get the hate for TWBTDOU. That album was leaps and bounds better than Mutiny, which essentially was two or three killer songs and a whole bunch of transition tracks.

The new one, I'm sort of on the fence about. I wish they would've kept pushing to be more experimental within the hardcore/pop-punk boundaries like they did on TWBTDOU but instead it seems a bit by-the-book, musically. Lyrically, it still delivers, though.

TWBTDOU through and through is 10x the album mutiny was, they expanded their songwriting and starting pushing themselves into new bounds lyrically. the new one seems like they took about 8 steps backwards. i've heard they were writing this one to be more like mutiny but it seems like they went backwards even past that.

Part of my "meh"-ness on this record is the production. Usually a band I like + Brian McTernan = audio gold, but this time, it just doesn't seem to line up.

Agreed. I really don't understand the vocal production, and how some of the guitar leads sound. McTernan killed it on Gospel and Separation (as well as just about everything else he has done), so I really don't know what went wrong here.

I don't get the hate for TWBTDOU. That album was leaps and bounds better than Mutiny, which essentially was two or three killer songs and a whole bunch of transition tracks.

The new one, I'm sort of on the fence about. I wish they would've kept pushing to be more experimental within the hardcore/pop-punk boundaries like they did on TWBTDOU but instead it seems a bit by-the-book, musically. Lyrically, it still delivers, though.

man, i could try disagreeing more but i dont think it would work. to each his own though. have yet to listen to this album i'm worried how much it'll suck (in my opinion, of course)

Part of my "meh"-ness on this record is the production. Usually a band I like + Brian McTernan = audio gold, but this time, it just doesn't seem to line up.

yup.

and travis, any clue on when those will be in? sorry for the bugging, i got a collection to keep up, haha

Vinyl should be in stores and online for street date

product of the 80s... really syg? REALLY???

Ugh, that song is just bad. Not digging it.

I like probably 3 songs off this atm. Hopefully it will grow on me when I get it on vinyl