FS: Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

thievesdont

I know these go for outrageous prices on eBay, but I'm not looking for anything big.

Selling some super old records for my father in law.

It's in damn good condition for being 28 years old, completely playable. Insert is slightly fragile for being old. Both the gatefold and vinyl are in really good condition with very slight storage marks on the sleeve.

throw something small at me.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Now then, here is a bit of interesting info: not all Thrillers are the same :)

True, a gazillion have been pressed and out there. Plenty played until the grooves are as smooth as the sea, BUT! only some Thrillers deserve to be high priced and this copy could very well be one such gem.

A very small run of Thrillers were pressed where Quincey was the lone producer. Michael 1) saw his name omitted and didn't dig it and 2) he listened to the pressing and felt it needed some super fly sizzle.

The end result? A co-production credit for MJ and a bleeding hot top end for about 110 million 990 000 copies world wide. If this is the QJ without the MJ, this bad boy demands a premium. It sounds super sick in comparison to anything out there, including the much raved about SACD.

Now then, here is a bit of interesting info: not all Thrillers are the same :)

True, a gazillion have been pressed and out there. Plenty played until the grooves are as smooth as the sea, BUT! only some Thrillers deserve to be high priced and this copy could very well be one such gem.

A very small run of Thrillers were pressed where Quincey was the lone producer. Michael 1) saw his name omitted and didn't dig it and 2) he listened to the pressing and felt it needed some super fly sizzle.

The end result? A co-production credit for MJ and a bleeding hot top end for about 110 million 990 000 copies world wide. If this is the QJ without the MJ, this bad boy demands a premium. It sounds super sick in comparison to anything out there, including the much raved about SACD.

Thanks I never knew that. I looked at both the copies I've got which I picked up for $1 each and one is produced by Quincy alone and one is the co-production credit.

Now I'll have to listen to both to hear the difference.

thats some random ass knowledge...well done.

We've gotta spread the word on stuff like this so that folks are able to acquire the very best sonic piece for their collection. A few years ago I was looking for a nice copy of Thriller. I started hunting and finding hacked up copies for $.25 - $1. I wanted something really nice and since he hadn't died yet, it was pretty easy picking. After enquiring at a really knowledgable forum, one guy mentioned the production bit to me and told me to forgo the SACD and hunt down a Quincy Jones only copy for $5-10. He figured I could find one NM, and in fact, I did! I found a NM and a sealed copy. Both for about $10. The SACD at the time was selling for $50. A year later MJ dies, all copies go through the roof, but so far, no one seems to know about the better mastering on the first small run.

Stuff like this makes the hobby interesting and it also makes it a bit more rewarding when one can find a really nice sounding copy. Not that the other Thrillers are dog poo, but they sure aren't stellar either.