musical moments that give you a chill.

I find this happening less and less as I get older...when I was a kid, every new album I'd get would have at least one moment that set my hair on end. Now, it mostly happens when I see bands live.

Before Reunion Tour came out, the first song The Weakerthans leaked was "Night Windows." I was already geeking out because of the title - it's an Edward Hopper painting - and I was instantly hooked on the song. When I saw them on the Reunion Tour Tour shortly after that, the first thing that happened when they came onstage was some tape-loop like noise, and they played the song. Every hair stood up, I think, and I felt all warm inside. That bassline, it really gets me where I live.

I saw Glassjaw in a big theatre, and after waiting forever between set times, the stage went completely dark and they just started playing "Tip Your Bartender." I've never seen a room that big transform like that before. It went from calm to fucking apeshit in an instant. A thousand people just going off. I was awestruck.

Another great moment was seeing Ozzy in Cobo Hall. My father-in-law bought us tickets for Christmas once, and it was really fun. But when they played "No More Tears," and I realized I was in a huge room with thousands of people singing along... as corny as it might sound, I really did feel it.

Share some of yours, either on record or seeing a band live.

i saw mewithoutYou play at a fest with thousands of people in attendance. they were one of the headliners, so it was night by the time they played. their song 'o, porcupine' has a part in it where the singer goes 'SSHHHHHHHHH' with a long pause of silence, then 'listen to it' and starts playing again. when he said 'SSHHHHHHH', i swear you could have heard a pin drop in this huge field in the mountains, and he paused for longer than usual before starting again. it was just insane, because you could literally feel all the people there holding their breath just waiting for them to start playing again.

The first time i saw Tool play Wings for Marie, a little side story to this. a year before i had seen them play and Maynard had a sore throat or whatever. so they couldn't play this song. the thing with Tool shows up to this point was that they'd always not play one song i really wanted to hear. that night it was Wings For Marie.

Anyways, They played Wings for Marie and i'm gonna say it sort of cheesy, but it felt like the music entered me, and it was beautiful, and everything was connected and there was nothing but the sound echoing throughout that entire venue. it was really fucking intense. and i've always remembered it.

Another story was when i saw Iron Maiden for the first time, and this was on the "somewhere back in time tour" which was basically a hits tour, and it was classic song after classic song, but at the end. oh man, Hallowed be Thy Name. running around in circles and jumping around like i was 10 years old again. so much fun. just being able to hear the song live that i used to waste countless quarters into at the jukebox in the old arcade i used to go to in Michigan. fuck what a show that was.

I saw Alexisonfire at this small club called The Wave that has this cool second floor balcony surrounding the pit. The year was 2004 I think, Watch Out! was just about to come out. The place was FULL. I was right up front. When they started playing, they went balls out, it was so loud and awesome, and everyone in the room was jumping. We were shoulder to shoulder and EVERYONE moved. It was religious, I will never forget it. The energy in that room.... man. I get shivers thinking about that.

Another thing that gives me shivers is the song Sink to the Beat by Cursive. There's this silence before the chorus "...let it burst and bloom" that makes my hairs stand on end. And everytime I hear the chorus I have to scream along with it either out loud or in my head depending on where I am :P.

i saw mewithoutYou play at a fest with thousands of people in attendance. they were one of the headliners, so it was night by the time they played. their song 'o, porcupine' has a part in it where the singer goes 'SSHHHHHHHHH' with a long pause of silence, then 'listen to it' and starts playing again. when he said 'SSHHHHHHH', i swear you could have heard a pin drop in this huge field in the mountains, and he paused for longer than usual before starting again. it was just insane, because you could literally feel all the people there holding their breath just waiting for them to start playing again.

i have to second mewithoutYou. i've seen them four times, and each time they play "Messes of Men," the point where Aaron sings "Oh my GOD" and everyone is singing along is amazing. Also, when they play then ending of "In a Sweater Poorly Knit" and they fade out with a refrain of "i do not exist," it is incredible.

Definitely happens less as you get older since you are desensitized. Off the top of my head the last shows this happened to me at were Blink 182 and Rage Against The Machine. Blink because they were the first concert I went to and it was at the same venue. Deja Vu. Rage was because I never thought I'd see them and being at such a big venue with everyone having waited so long to see them the place was just so electric.

I've had some of these while listening to music and live shows, but the one that topped it off for me was when i went to see Jonsi in Austin. Everything about the stag set up and him and his bands performance was simply stunning. the theatrics he managed to have along with the songs was just amazing. I've had chills during certain parts of shows, but never had i had them the whole way through. To me, it'll probably be the best concert i have ever been to

When I saw Sigur Ros a few years ago at the Saltair in SLC was probably the most unforgettable live experience to date for me. Those dudes really know how to pull at your heart strings. Not to mention the incredible ambiance they create throughout their set. The most amazing part about it was when they hit the climax of one of their more popular songs from their newest album SO much confetti come pouring down from everywhere and a few people from the opening band came out to play extra percussion. It was simply amazing I remember being so happy.

edit: This is it exactly.

[image]