Sundowner "4152" on vinyl and LP release party...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine in the mail from Interpunk today. New black and white packaging for some pretty black vinyl. Very nice.

Would be nice to have actual numbers though because there doesn't look like there are any other variants, and numbers would help people on the fence or those who may be waiting to buy it sooner.

It's actually a sepia tone!

In regards to numbers, why would that affect people's desire to buy it? Vinyl nerds hassle me day and night about how they NEED to have this on their turntable, and now you're telling me that it's collectibility is a factor? So confusing.

It's definitely safe to say that these will sell through, so buy one of you want one. And hopefully you'll want it for the music...

Never said it was about "collectibility." I only said numbers help in terms of people who may want to buy other records first before coming around to this. The more there are available the more likely they'll wait to pick it up. Hate to break it to you but this isn't the only record out people want to buy, so with what limited money many of us have, people may want to know how long they could sit on it before they buy it (especially since you sat on pressing it for years.) Call up other labels and tell them do them to do the same thing your doing since you seem to be stuck with a particular mindset.

I have it on CD as well, but figured what the hell this albums awesome. The albums been out for 4 going on 5 years. I think by now people know whether they like the album or not and for the most part would buy because they appreciate the music, so there really no logic behind keeping the numbers a state secret other than you just wanna be you (and thats a nice way to say it) which really irks a lot of people. If vinyl collectors and ebay flippers really annoy you that much, just license your records out to labels that care so they could field questions and complaints.

Not gonna live or die whether I know the numbers or not because if I was all about "collectibility" I wouldn't have bought it. You're welcome. Really don't get you man.

/rant

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually a sepia tone!

In regards to numbers, why would that affect people's desire to buy it? Vinyl nerds hassle me day and night about how they NEED to have this on their turntable, and now you're telling me that it's collectibility is a factor? So confusing.

It's definitely safe to say that these will sell through, so buy one of you want one. And hopefully you'll want it for the music...

I think he was referring to people who would be waiting for financial reasons, though some people are certainly asking for collectability reasons

Understood...I think? I guess I just never thought I had to take each individual's finances into consideration when releasing an album. I'm still stuck in the old days and thinking that if you like the music/wanna support the band, feel free to buy the record.

I think he was referring to people who would be waiting for financial reasons, though some people are certainly asking for collectability reasons

Understood...I think? I guess I just never thought I had to take each individual's finances into consideration when releasing an album. I'm still stuck in the old days and thinking that if you like the music/wanna support the band, feel free to buy the record.

yeah, I wasn't arguing that you need to consider anyone's finances, I was just making the point that there are reasons other than collectability that knowing pressing numbers are beneficial. if people really wanted this and were that concerned about their finances, they could have been saving for over a year since this was supposedly going to be released last summer at the same time as the new sundowner album.

anyhoo, not trying to tell you how to run your label, I just don't understand how going out of your way to alienate (a subset of) the fans of the bands on your label makes sense. I bought the record for the "old days" reason of liking the music/wanted to support the band, and if variants/test presses were available, I'd buy them for the "new days"(?) reason of liking the music, wanting to support the band, and wanting to support the label.

all that said, I'm glad this finally got pressed, so I'm appreciative of that, and I really don't care what the numbers are on this--I'll just put "/~500" on my record list and call it good

anyhoo, not trying to tell you how to run your label, I just don't understand how going out of your way to alienate (a subset of) the fans of the bands on your label makes sense.

I'm not trying to alienate anybody, I just fail to see how production details relate to the music. I guess maybe people would like to see manufacturing invoices and art proofs too, but that's really not for public consumption. And when compared to the tunes, it's just plain boring info.