record storage/maintenance question

so I've noticed the open part of lot of my record sleeves are pretty wavy (like a potato chip), and I'm not sure why this is happening, but it seems like a bad thing. my guesses are:

1) humidity (though I live in a climate-controlled building with windows that don't open (like an office building)),

2) too densely packed on shelf (seems counter-intuitive...),

3) nothing wrong, it just happens, or

4) something else that I'm not thinking of.

in any case, most of my records are not in plastic sleeves, so maybe that would help alleviate this problem. but yeah, I don't know, so I figured I'd ask all of you.

thanks

here's probably the least interesting record picture I'll ever post--a "behind the scenes" shot of my record collection, if you will. the records on the right are Banner Pilot's "Pass the Poison" and appear to be in much better shape (literally) than the ones in the middle, Banner Pilot's "Collapser". I'm guessing they're better because Fat uses those recycled cardboard looking sleeves, but yeah, I don't know

that doesn't look good at all :(

They look like they're not tight enough for some reason, like they're too lose on whatever the shelf is, not leaning one way or the other (which you don't necessarily want either) and in turn just kinda bowing on the shelf there. I'm totally guessing, I don't know but it might help to see a wider shot of the whole shelf. Whatever the case, hurry up and fix that before it starts affecting the wax inside the sleeves if it hasn't already.

Do any of your records have plastic sleeves? If so, are those covers fine? I would first try getting plastic sleeves for all your covers...all my records are stored in plastic sleeves, its a custom I learned from living and collecting vinyl in Japan. Some stores give them free with each used (or new) record you buy.

I think it's plenty (if not too) tight, as I could maybe only fit 1-2 more records in that cube of the expedit. I think it appears loose because the open part of a sleeve is less thick than a record, so there's bound to be less pressure there.

Good point. I guess I don't know what that side of the shelf should look like after all. Just out of curiosity, why do you store them with the spine facing away from you? Isn't it hard to know what's what that way?

Do you have multiple squares in your Expedit filled and if so, do some in every square do something similar? If they didn't look like that when you shelved them then there must be a good explanation.. maybe it is the missing bags, I've always used them so I'm not sure. If you value them then it might be worth getting some of those either way.

Do any of your records have plastic sleeves? If so, are those covers fine?

3 (of my ~250 records) do, and for the most part they look fine

Just out of curiosity, why do you store them with the spine facing away from you? Isn't it hard to know what's what that way?

oh, I just reached my hand behind the shelf and took a picture--all of the spines face the right way :)

Is there too much weight on top of them? How much room is there between the top of the records and the bottom of the shelf above them (is it an Expedit)?

'Cause that looks like either something is pressing down on them or humidity.

yep, it's an expedit, so there's no weight pushing down.

I think for the time being, I'm just going to assume it's a humidity issue and buy a bunch of bags. I haven't been using bags because I don't really like the way bagged records look on a shelf, but I also don't like wavy record sleeves, so... yeah, I'll error on the side of caution.

thanks for the help

Guest cewillm

I have some covers that aren't wavy but make an "()" shape when sitting out. It only seems to happen with new pressings that have very thin, flimsy cardboard. I don't worry about it much, but I do plan to buy plastic bags for each LP ASAP.

A little off topic from the original post but how hot do you allow the room you store your records in? I recently built shelves for all my records in a spare bedroom in my house in the winter. But I forget that this room is also the hottest room in the house in the summer. I could move everything into the basement but then there is always the threat of flooding.

If it is any help I keep all my records bagged and kept semi tight in the shelves.

A little off topic from the original post but how hot do you allow the room you store your records in? I recently built shelves for all my records in a spare bedroom in my house in the winter. But I forget that this room is also the hottest room in the house in the summer. I could move everything into the basement but then there is always the threat of flooding.

If it is any help I keep all my records bagged and kept semi tight in the shelves.

I used to store some records in a room that was built into what used to be part of the attic. It gets pretty hot up there in the summer and some of those records warped so badly I couldn't even play them. Luckily I had all my "good" records stored in the main part of the house. It served as a sort of experiment/warning to me, so I would suggest not leaving them in a room that's too hot to comfortably hang out in. If you wouldn't want to sit in there all day, neither do your records.

Also, maybe this should be a different thread, but do you guys get more warped records in the mail during the summer? I very rarely get a new record in the mail that's warped during the winter, but in the summer it's relatively common for records to arrive with a slight warp. I would imagine some of those mail trucks are like ovens inside.

in the summer it's relatively common for records to arrive with a slight warp. I would imagine some of those mail trucks are like ovens inside.

HOLY CRAP!!! I never thought about that. I live in Phoenix, AZ when I'm in the USA, and half my records live in Phoenix, AZ. I never worried about the heat cause our house has central air...but getting stuff sent to my parents house in the summer will worry me now! CRAP!!!

Guest cewillm

I used to store some records in a room that was built into what used to be part of the attic. It gets pretty hot up there in the summer and some of those records warped so badly I couldn't even play them. Luckily I had all my "good" records stored in the main part of the house. It served as a sort of experiment/warning to me, so I would suggest not leaving them in a room that's too hot to comfortably hang out in. If you wouldn't want to sit in there all day, neither do your records.

Also, maybe this should be a different thread, but do you guys get more warped records in the mail during the summer? I very rarely get a new record in the mail that's warped during the winter, but in the summer it's relatively common for records to arrive with a slight warp. I would imagine some of those mail trucks are like ovens inside.

It's definitely not unheard of. You'd be amazed at how hot the USPS/UPS/FedEx processing centers get in the summer, and the big feeder trucks are no coolers either.

Guest cewillm

I dunno about online man. I just buy them from my local store. I need to go pick up another 100 today but it's going to rain all afternoon :(.