cystic fibrosis

just found out my daughter reagan has cystic fibrosis. considering my daughter's are identical twins i am assuming alexis has it as well. apparently they test for it on the newborn blood screening and reagan was in the top percent of babies born that day so more testing had to be done.

after 4 inconclusive sweat tests they drew blood and it came up positive.

just had to post this shit somewhere to get it off my chest.

man i'm so sorry. I know what i say can't really help but the prognosis isn't necessarily that bad, often times it presents in a relatively mild way (i dont mean to belittle the disease in any way here).

I actually am working in a CF/PCD lab this summer and my dad and boss have done a ton of research on it at UNC.

Again, i'm sorry and stay positive

My friend mike started a foundation called punk vs fibrosis and has raised thousands of dollars in donations to help find a cure . Most of the shows he's booked have been in the northern jersey / lower NY area . I know he has reached out to other folks throughout the country to try to make the foundation larger and spread awareness . I could give you his information if you wanted someone to talk to who is passionate about finding a cure .

man i'm so sorry. I know what i say can't really help but the prognosis isn't necessarily that bad, often times it presents in a relatively mild way (i dont mean to belittle the disease in any way here).

I actually am working in a CF/PCD lab this summer and my dad and boss have done a ton of research on it at UNC.

Again, i'm sorry and stay positive

yeah i am still trying to understand this disease. they said with the genetic mutation they found that it's more mild case and that they should lead a pretty normal life with having symptoms later on down the road. right now they are healthy as can be and its just hard to think that they may or may not have complications later on.

its crazy that only one had to be tested considering they are identical twins. they also said during the first sweat test that if they were born in another state that reagan wouldn't have to take the sweat test for CF. i guess percentages vary from state to state on the newborn screening.

Mark, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through with this now. I extend my sincerest best wishes and luck for everything to work out. We're here for ya to vent to, get it off your chest, and just anything else...we're still a community...at least the few old and jaded VC old-schoolers...and look out for each other in some way, shape, or form. Stay POSI my friend!

Real sorry to hear this. I participate in a local CF charity kickball tournament every year to support our local CFF's efforts to help find a cure and provide resources/quality of life for kids with the disease. Get to meet a lot of brave kids every year.

I'm sure you already know, but Ohio has a few chapters. Best of luck - the quality of life for people with CF is really improving and who knows, a cure might be just around the corner. http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/Locations/FindAChapter/index.cfm?state=OH

Real sorry to hear this. I participate in a local CF charity kickball tournament every year to support our local CFF's efforts to help find a cure and provide resources/quality of life for kids with the disease. Get to meet a lot of brave kids every year.

I'm sure you already know, but Ohio has a few chapters. Best of luck - the quality of life for people with CF is really improving and who knows, a cure might be just around the corner. http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/Locations/FindAChapter/index.cfm?state=OH

yeah thanks man. i know my wife has a gotten a ton of recommendations on websites from a board she posts on.