FYI - CANADA POST STRIKE

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will get legislated back to work, and a binding mediator will likely be assigned while they work. Hell, Air Canada is going to be legislated back and they are a private company.

I actually supported the strike action, there aren't many jobs like this left in Canada. The lockout was just a move by Canada Post to force the government to intervene. Just like everyone else I have a couple of records, an amazon order (sent Tuesday afternoon before the lockout), and a Disney print sitting in a warehouse somewhere. It'll get to me at some point, along with a shitload of bills and a couple of Rolling Stones.

The problem is really our country is too big and sparsely populated. To be honest, we should have regional pricing and hopefully that would bring package prices down. It shouldn't cost the same price to mail a letter to the Yukon as it does to send it up the road. The prices aren't a reflection of the workers, they are a result of the profits required. Apparently CP is trying to do some pretty shady stuff with the pensions too. Defined pensions traditionally have allowed the company to skim off the profit from the investments made with the money, as long as they pay out the defined cost. Well, some of the pension plans now have a deficit (Air Canada's is 2 billion) and companies want to shirk their responsibilities and put control in the hands of the workers.

They will get legislated back to work, and a binding mediator will likely be assigned while they work. Hell, Air Canada is going to be legislated back and they are a private company.

I actually supported the strike action, there aren't many jobs like this left in Canada. The lockout was just a move by Canada Post to force the government to intervene. Just like everyone else I have a couple of records, an amazon order (sent Tuesday afternoon before the lockout), and a Disney print sitting in a warehouse somewhere. It'll get to me at some point, along with a shitload of bills and a couple of Rolling Stones.

The problem is really our country is too big and sparsely populated. To be honest, we should have regional pricing and hopefully that would bring package prices down. It shouldn't cost the same price to mail a letter to the Yukon as it does to send it up the road. The prices aren't a reflection of the workers, they are a result of the profits required. Apparently CP is trying to do some pretty shady stuff with the pensions too. Defined pensions traditionally have allowed the company to skim off the profit from the investments made with the money, as long as they pay out the defined cost. Well, some of the pension plans now have a deficit (Air Canada's is 2 billion) and companies want to shirk their responsibilities and put control in the hands of the workers.

(Y)

Guest Admin

I was just told as of YESTERDAY USPS is no longer accepting any Canadian mail :( So I guess we are not shipping any more Canadian orders until this settles. Sucks the Menzingers are shipping Wednesday and there are a lot of Canadians who ordered

"MPs have been surviving on pizza and water with a little lemon squeezed in it. There was also some Scotch about."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/poli....rt icle2073925/

They went all night in the House of Commons and are going to sit until they reach and agreement.

AMAZING!

http://www.globalmaritimes.com/world/story.html?id=5006936

As much as it's cool that I may have my (only) 1 order coming through (Converge/Dropdead split, compare to some of you that has a whole bunch), I'm kinda mixed on the fact that the government is forcing them back to work... your thoughts?

The problem is: The Government deal was worse than what Canada Post was offering, therefore Canada Post had no reason to bargain. The bill brings in binding mediation - the two parties bring their best offers and a mediator chooses one, with no bargaining at all.

The NDP delayed the legislation for a couple of days, they didn't win any changes, but probably saved collective bargaining in Canada in the long run.

Guest deathbydrums
I hate Canada post with a passion with their overpriced services and their slow ass international delivery, it's really hard to feel sorry for them.

Yay looks like it be over. The union was a bit greedy on this one. The workers already get 10-15% more than people in similar jobs elsewhere, the deal Canada Post offered reduced starting wages and pensions, but increased benefits. In my opinion it serves them right. I can't understand why in situations like this the two parties wouldn't just split the difference.

Yay looks like it be over. The union was a bit greedy on this one. The workers already get 10-15% more than people in similar jobs elsewhere, the deal Canada Post offered reduced starting wages and pensions, but increased benefits. In my opinion it serves them right. I can't understand why in situations like this the two parties wouldn't just split the difference.

I understand where they are coming from, I wouldn't want to give up a solid wage or pension either but the organization just need some real restructuring. When they went down to every other day mail delivery I barely noticed. If they could eventually do this full time through employee retirements, I would sacrifice daily delivery for more competitive prices in a heartbeat.