How's my setup, and how can I improve it?

So I recently started getting into vinyl since my dad had a record player that he never used. It's a Technics SL-Q2 with some sort of Grado cartridge. I was wondering how good this is, and if you guys could tell me more about the cartridge, here's a pic:

[image]

And I'm running it through a Behringer PP400 pre-amp and logitech z-2300 speakers. I'm guess I'm going to get better SQ with a receiver and speakers, but how much would that set me back? Any info is much appreciated! :)

The cartridge is from the Prestige series by Grado, but I cannot make out the exact model, since it seems the needle was replaced (If I remember correctly the stock needles all have black housings, this one appears brown/beige in the picture, kind of like this: http://www.oldtownrecords.com/servlet/Detail?no=293 ).

If the turntable and the cartridge are in good working order, they're quite solid performers, especially compared to the popular USB turntables like ION, Audio Technica etc that sell for upwards of $200. The weakest link are definitely your speakers.

There are infinite options for upgrade, primarily depending on your budget, room size an listening preferences/demands.

I'm no expert, but everything's been playing without a hitch, so I'd say they're in good working order. And as for the receiver/speakers, could I stay around 400? As for room size, my room is quite small, around 10'x11'. As for listening preferences, it's usually hardcore (just Touche right now, but I'll probably be getting La Dispute, Defeater, etc.), punk (Menzingers), prog (Mars Volta, Yes), Radiohead, and indie (Felix Culpa, Bon Iver, of Montreal), so a bit varied.

For up to $400 I'd definitely recommend some active speakers if you're strictly buying new. If you don't mind getting used gear, you could find a pretty nice amp/speakers combination within your budget. Steer away from receivers, you get a much better sound quality with an integrated amp in the same price class. According to your room size, some nice bookshelf/standmount speakers will be more than enough.

For used gear often check listings on audiogon, if you find something that you like ask here for any info or comments.

Look here for speakers:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?spkr&1&ctg&st1

and here for amps:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?inta&1&ctg&st1

If you'd rather buy something new, like I said some active monitors would be the best bang for buck.

For $400 I'd look for something like Yamaha HS50M or KRK RP6.

I'm a junior and I had my records in my dorm during my freshman year. Honestly, I didn't find it worth the hassle at all, and I had to use my father's Crosley player because my single was very small. Moving records is a huge pain, too. I really didn't play my LPs that much because I am busy throughout the year with my job at my university's academic library, my classes, girlfriend, etc.

I'd say it's up to you. It really depends on how badly you want your records in your dorm and how much you trust your roommates. For me, I'm okay with a good pair of headphones and some high-quality files while I'm away - I can always listen to my records when I'm at home. :)

Ya, it just seems like a hassle overall. And since I'm just starting out, my collection is pretty small overall. Trouble is I want nicer speakers, but I'm only gonna be here for 3 more months, so I dunno if I want to spend so much. Maybe if I could get a decent upgrade for more like 200-250 I could justify it. And my college won't be too far from home, so I suppose I'll have some decent opportunities to listen at home.

i use grado too.

i cannot imagine my setup sounding better.

though you can upgrade your needle, if you want. that one might be old.

needledoctor.com sells grado needles in 4 different flavors of awesomeness.

i have a green right now, and everything sounds wonderfully great to me.

The KRKs have a built in amp, so you just hook them up to your Behringer preamp and you're good to go. You could get the smaller KRK RP5 for $300, anything for less is too much of a compromise. But it's best if you find a local store that has studio equipment and ask them if you could hear some active monitors. It's the only way to really know what you like and how much you have to spend for it.

So a little bit back it was said that I could use a new needle, and that's probably true considering the age of it. As I was looking at needles, I was a bit surprised that most of them were around the price of a cartridge. That's when I stumbled upon the Shure M97xE, which seems to be a fairly common budget cartridge (which is on Amazon right now for 55 bucks). Would it be better to get a replacement Grado needle or the Shure cart?

I think I'm gonna end up going with headphones for my setup rather than speakers. I use headphones more anyway, and it seems that you get better quality for your money. As for the needle, my only concern is that I'm unsure of the model of the cartridge, so I could be spending a fair amount on just a needle for a cartridge that isn't as nice, or I could just get the Shure cart. If I posted more pics of the cartridge, could someone id it for me?