Tattoo Problem

So here it is for those that were wondering. If anyone has any fucking clue about this please let me know.

I got it done Saturday night. This is what it looked like Sunday Night

[image]

This is what it looked like Monday night after washing it.

[image]

The last time I got tattooed it got really bad. I talked it over with my artist and the only things we could think of to try and fix it was to use nitro gloves. I also thought that I might be allergic to the vasaline used while tattooing so this time we used KY lube since it's water based. All three of my tattooes have reacted. Black and yellow are the only two inks that are in all three. I may be allregic to all inks or just one of those colors. I've been reading about people who are allergic to ink and although I'm sharing some symptoms this one seems a lot different than a general allergy to ink. Not a single person at my tattoo shop has ever seen a tattoo react this way. Anyone ever seen this?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off your shit looks dried out in the first picture. lube that shit.

second off, I would recommend using Aquaphor since it's a gift from the tattoo gods. it's basically vaseline so you shouldn't have any allergy problems with it.

I'm going to have to imagine that you have an allergy to the ink. The redness and irritation seems to be only around the tattoo in a short little ring and not where gloves/A&D/lotion would have touched it which would have made a much larger red area.

are those blisters up top????

the red area around the tattoo looks like minor bruising. I really dont think you should be that worried about it. when you apply A&D dab the tattoo'ed area with a paper towel so its not soaking.

oh and Iv'e been tattooing for a few years now. If the area starts to look infected you should let your tattoo artist know about it and then consult a doctor.

on average 2-3 weeks. 3-5 days after you get work done you should treat it as an open wound and show your tattoo lots of love

yeah, but I meant for him personally. With mine I am usually completely healed in 1 weeks time. With my trad Japanese body suit I went every Saturday, and had no problems with overlapping healing time. Everybody heals at a different pace.

on average 2-3 weeks. 3-5 days after you get work done you should treat it as an open wound and show your tattoo lots of love

yeah, but I meant for him personally. With mine I am usually completely healed in 1 weeks time. With my trad Japanese body suit I went every Saturday, and had no problems with overlapping healing time. Everybody heals at a different pace.

yeah, everyone does heal at a different pace. and some people dont take ink well. at all. if this is #3 with problems I would consider not getting anymore tattoo's

I found using aveno lotion worked wonders with the healing process.

Also If that is an alergy I would consider you to be a luckier one. I knew this guy that had an allergy to red ink and when he got this big red piece it dried up and cracked. It looked like his skin had been in the oven for a while.

No those are not blisters. Just the hair growing back. The first two tattooes got hives on them. This one doesn't so far.

The first tattoo I got it looked fine for the first week and a half. It was almost done healing when I got a rash/hives around the tattoo area. I followed all the correct directions on how to care for it and I used Curel lotion. Same tattoo shop different artist from the second and third.

The second one looked great the first day 1/2. I started using Curel lotion again and it broke out. I talked to my artist and we thought that maybe it was the patroleum in the lotion so I switched to Johnsons and Johnsons. I tried using a&d on it because of recommendations. It BURNED when I put it on so I washed it off right away. The tattoo got very bad hives and raised up off the skin. It eventually turned into a really bad scab, flaked off and healed. The tattoo looks good, especialy for how bad it got but the colors are a little faded. Same tattoo shop different artist from the first.

third tattoo looked good the first day. Woke up and it was swollen and looked like it did in the first picture. I didn't use lotion the first day because I was worried that it may irritate it even more. The second day it started to leak a clear fluid which dries up looking yellow/brownish. I still haven't used lotion becuase last time it started to do this and I kept trying different stuff and it all just made it worse. Same artist and shop as the second one. as far as the bruising goes I have heard from other people that he's pretty heavy handed although I can't really tell. This one isn't as bad as the last one.

Oh another thing. Everyone's first question is am I allergic to red ink or other colors. All the colored parts of my tattooes heal the quickest and look the best so I'm wondering if it may be just black ink.

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but I'll add my two cents. If there's as much vasoline/goop/etc. on it as it looks like there is in the second picture, it could possibly be that the skin isn't breathing properly and can't heal or is slightly infected. If that's leakage from the tattoo itself I don't really know what to think. I've had tattoos leak out inky stuff for the first 24-48 hours, but once I get a couple days in and really feel comfortable washing it all it's normally stopped.. Maybe your skin is just super dry and the tattoo is just a lot to handle for it being so sensitive. Like I said, I can't be sure, but something in there might help.

i've used bag balm on my last two and they have healed fine. For the first few days though, they looked red and puffy like that, but i think thats just due to the fact that you had a needle constantly being used on you and it was irritated. When my girlfriend wakes up, i'll ask her what she thinks, as she is a tattoo artist as well. I know you've already heard from one artist, but i guess you'd like as many opinions as possible. i know i would on something like this

which brand of bag balm do you use? I've never heard of that one before. i'm pretty open to trying whatever at this point. If I can keep from getting hives than the swelling will be my main problem. I just want to figure out what the best way for me to go about this since I don't want to stop getting ink.

Dude, I'm not sure if you're allergic, but I use Palmer's Cocoa butter and listerine. The listerine for when I wash it, to avoid infection, and I have sensitive skin, and the cocoa butter is awesome for me. That's just my suggestion. Which makes about 17 suggestions for you so far. But, good luck.