Tattoo Problem

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight

I was actually told by my artist not to use A&D ointment because something in it could discolor the ink. it's always funny/odd how many different artists recommend different things.

I always use bacitracin for the initial scabbing process and then either Lubriderm or regular Vaseline Intensive Care cream (unscented), those always seem to get the job done. Though I was told that Aquafor works wonders as well.

I've never had a problem with any of my ink but lately I've had some weird allergic reactions to stuff I'm not normally allergic to, so I've been avoiding getting any new tattoos lately. I'm scared I'll have a reaction to either the tattoo ink or the stuff I use for the healing.

Guest genericinsight
yeah an even weirder thing is that I'm not allergic to anything.

you'd be surprised. I had this problem start last year and I'm not allergic to anything either. My doctor said sometimes allergies develop as you get older, even if it's something you weren't allergic to before - also stuff you could have been allergic to at one point in your life could go away somewhere down the line. I guess the body just works in weird ways.

possibly try another artist as well. something in the shop or something that they use in the shop may be irritating it or causing you to have this reaction.

It sounds like your just going to have to narrow everything down, try different things then determine whats causing this and avoid it

yeah an even weirder thing is that I'm not allergic to anything.

you'd be surprised. I had this problem start last year and I'm not allergic to anything either. My doctor said sometimes allergies develop as you get older, even if it's something you weren't allergic to before - also stuff you could have been allergic to at one point in your life could go away somewhere down the line. I guess the body just works in weird ways.

i've heard this as well

If work wasn't an issue, I'd have full sleeves. Technically I could still have them but would have to wear long-sleeve shirts everyday for work...and living and working in South Florida...outside in the heat and humidity, it would royally suck.

But sometime later in the year I plan on getting another full leg piece on my left leg. This time it will be done up completely traditional Japanese...a dragon to balance out the Koi on my right leg.

hey this is Nick's girlfriend. ok, first off, did you see the artist unwrap the tubes and needles in front of you? and did you see him wash is hands and wear gloves before he did so? it could be unproper sanitation methods. did you see him wipe hisstation with rubbing alcohol? in my experience working at a tattoo shop, the artists usually have there tubes all cleaned and sanitized together, and they can be difficult to clean. you have to first scrub them with antibacterial soap and alconox to get the ink you can see off and out of them, and if they let them sit around before they soak them, the ink is almost impossible to clean off. so maybe whoever was cleaning the tubes overlooked them a little. so that could be part of it.

as far as when you leave and take care of it on your own, what kind of soap are you using to clean it with? thebestones to use are regular antibacterial dial or ivory. after washing, pat it dry with a CLEAN towel, and let it air dry for 5-10 minutes. then apply your ointment in a thin even coat. the best ointments to use are bagbalm, and any bactration ointment. use ointment only until your tattoo gets to its itchy stage. do NOT use any lotion until it gets to the itchy stage. would you put lotion on an open cut? i dont think so. you should be washing it at least 3 times a day. also, its impotant you keep it out of the sun expecially while its healing. the clear discharge stuff you are seeing is your blood's plasma. this is a normal thing your body does to help itself heal, so dont sweat that part. it heals yellow or brown, because it is part of your blood, andblood usually dries brownish. a little brusing or muscle soreness can also be a normal thing. so be easy on any heavy lifting or activities that could put your muscles in any strain where the tattoo is. also, no pools or hot tubs for at least 2 weeks after you get a tattoo.

it might be in good interest if you go to a different shop and have an artist that hasnt seen the tattoo before look at it. that way, you get a fresh opinion about it. they might also know something about the shop you went to that you didnt notice or wasn't told about.

i think thats all i can think of. if it gets worse, deffently consult a doctor. that might be a good idea anyways. i hope i was of some help. good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I didn't actualy watch him clean/set up his station but I know a few people who have been tattoed by him. My girlfriend has been tattooed at the shop, one time on the same day and she hasn't had any problems so I don't think it's a sanitation issue although I can't be 100% sure. Everytime I'm there I do see people cleaning their stuff but like I said I can't be absolutly sure. I'm using antibacterial dial to clean it. I work it into a lather and then use my hand to clean the area. I'm going to get some bag balm tonight and try that out. The good news is that it hasn't gotten worse sense yesterday. I'll see how it does and let everyone know.

I think nicks girlfriend said it best...Lotion is probably the best thing not to use, as it's a tricky situation while some artists say to use lotion after a few days, others would say not too. Different lotions have different ingredients.. Some have lanolin (i think that's how you spell it) which can cause allergic reactions in people...other lotions contain beeswax which clog pores. Which is probably the thing you don't want...is too clog your pores and let you tattoo breath. first off, your tattoo needs to breath and be clean. if you're pores are clogged it's going to cause a infection.

I've been tattooed over the past 12 years and while i havent' heard of anyone having any reactions to this..Betadine PLUS (clear) works wonders for my tattoos. It's a ointment/pain reliever/moisturizer. My tattoos have healed in about 3 to 4 days using it, and i have not had any kind of complications whatsoever.

While it' may be hard to find at some pharmacies, an alternative is A&D. I use this when i can't find betadine plus. It's not meant to be gooped on...a small portion can be put on and rubbed into the tattoo 3 to 4 times a day to keep it moist, but that's it...

Also, do you have animals? as animal dander can be one cause of infection. Also when applying and cleaning a tattoo, make sure you clean your hands before touching said tattoo as it's very easy to cross contaminate a healing tattoo as it's basically like an open wound for a few days.

thats all i can think of as well...

more 2 cents to add..

i know when i get my tattoos done i dont even use lotion. the first 3 to 5 days i wrap it with saran wrap and wash with dial soap 3 times a day. once i notice that no more skin or thin film is coming off from washing i start putting curel lotion on pretty much regularly. i was told putting the saran wrap on is a healthier way for your tattoo to heal. i dont know.

hope everything works out.

My last tattoo...which will be two years old this upcoming Mother's Day...was a huge piece. I used A+D (before I was told about Aquaphor) and then when it was ready for lotion I used Johnson & Johnson Grins & Giggles baby lotion w/ Aloe...you can laugh...most of my friends did...but the shit worked fantastic. The piece healed with no problems...except when I scraped a part of it running down the stairs...I let it heal and then my guy re-touched and thankfully there was no scar or anything from the scrape.