PO: Opeth-Heritage

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just brought this home, listening now. I wish Roadrunner would ease up on their prices, there's no reason this needs to be upwards of $30 as the packaging is nothing special and it has no download code. However, it is a really fantastic album.

They emailed us a download code a day or two ago. :)

Just brought this home, listening now. I wish Roadrunner would ease up on their prices, there's no reason this needs to be upwards of $30 as the packaging is nothing special and it has no download code. However, it is a really fantastic album.

i assume that's with a pre-order? i got mine at the record store today. i figure for $30 a download code inside would be a no brainer.

i assume that's with a pre-order? i got mine at the record store today. i figure for $30 a download code inside would be a no brainer.

I pre-ordered the deluxe version...not sure if anyone who pre-ordered the standard vinyl got one or not. Anyone?

EDIT: oops...someone earlier in the thread suggested the deluxe was the only pre-order. I'm all confused this AM.

Pretty disappointed with this album.

That tells everyone a lot.

Why?

I don't know, it just doesn't really go anywhere for me. It doesn't have the dynamics that the other records have. It feels like it's just one long blah. It's not like it's bad; there are solos, etc., and the drums are excellent (as usual). It seems like Mike just needed to get this prog shit out of his system and this is what we got. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it's not doing much for me after the first 4-5 listens. Two word summary: boring, uninteresting. This is coming from a huge Opeth fan, btw.

i had the same reaction. i love Opeth, and i listen to prog and jazz, but for some reason, this just didn't stick with me. i couldn't even make it through the entire album. i may have to give it another chance.

Yeah, Heritage took me about four or five listens until I got into most of it. I Feel the Dark and Folklore are awesome, but Slither and Nepenthe are pretty weak. I think the jarring transitions were what threw me the most at first, but once you get to know the songs everything seems to flow better. Definitely not another Blackwater Park, but better than most new releases.

I agree with a little bit of all of this. For what it is, it's truly a great album. I'd just prefer it to be a little more of Opeth's sound. Don't really care about the growls, but rather the mood, guitar tone, edge, etc. I do love the album though...I think it's a great front-to-back listen and can't wait to hear it live.