{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's awesome that you mention HPSCD, because that's one of the first pieces i heard from him. When i first heard it i wasn't a big fan of the harpsichord sound, but on some weird level it dug deep for me.

I can understand what you mean pertaining to the technology catching up with the greats and fans of newer stuff overlooking them. I was like this for awhile, until i watched a documentary on frank zappa and how Edgar Varese had had a major influence on him in his composition. So i decided to go back to older Composers of the sort and am really glad i have.

Yeah i sometimes forget Nonesuch also has a bevy of amazing back catalogue from great artists, haha

It's all great though because not a lot of people on this board are really into the more abstract in things involving music and its good to know that there's some people that do love that music

I always thought it was cool that Zappa cited Varese so often - I'm sure that gave the composer a listener base he would have likely never had otherwise (though confession time: I've never cared for Zappa. oof!) - do you like Morton Subotnick at all? His most famous composition is Silver Apples of The Moon which the band Silver Apples later got their name from obviously - his stuff is a bit less abstract than Varese in the traditional compositional sense - it's more in line with the room sized synthesizer recordings being made at the time. Raymond Scott is another one - his stuff was often used in 50's and 60's television ads and radio jingles, really futuristic sounding stuff that got by the public's ear due to being put behind Sprite or laundry detergent.

I got a chuckle out of this. +1

One of my favorite Cage quotes talks about sound and how musicians hear/play with the relationship between sounds as opposed to the sounds themselves. Blew my mind...

That's a great quote! I'm starting to work my way through a book called For The Birds that features extensive interviews with Cage on all manner of subject including his compositions, mushroom obsessions amongst a multitude of other things - http://www.amazon.com/Birds-John-Conversation-Daniel-Charles/dp/0714526916

man, i haven't heard of Morton Subotnick, but have heard of Raymond Scott. I've always really like his stuff. I'll certainly be checking out that silver apples piece when i get a chance.