scooters

im thinking about getting rid of my car and getting a scooter. i owe $9500 on my car, which im pretty sure the dealership will buy it back and sell it for roughly $14000. with my car note, insurance and 4-5 tanks of gas a month im spending about $700 a month. a scooter would be $2000-$4000 and with 70mpg on gas i cant really beat that. the thing is i dont know anything about them. i know some of you guys have to have them out there. what should i be looking for?

If you're not interested in insane top speeds look into your chances of getting a used Honda Ruckus.

I own the EU version of it (Zoomer) and it's the best thing that has happened to me in a long while.

Absolutely fun and easy to ride everywhere, there's a crazy amount of customizations you can have fun with. But yes, the stock one is slow but you'll forget about gas.

A 50 cc scooter will work for you, BUT, I guarantee that if you get that, in a week you'll want something that goes faster and has more power. I started with a 50 cc and it got me there, but it took a while to get to top speed and would usually have a cars go around me. I think top speed was 35-40. Once I got my 150 cc, it was night and day. Top speed on that is 60-65 and I can actually keep up and even pass traffic on those side streets. There's a lot of straightaways here where the speed limit is 50 and I'd never make it on my 50cc scooter.

My 2 cents, get a 150cc scooter or above :)

i will mostly be driving atlanta streets. i drive sixteen miles round trip to work from my apartment and that is really the only time i drive outside of the city. no interstate.

There comes a point, deciding on scooter size, where you may just be better off buying a small motorcycle. It really depends on your needs, the traffic you'll be in, the quality of the roads, and so forth. There are parts of Ann Arbor where I'd rather be on a 250cc Honda Rebel than a 125cc scooter. Both have their advantages and drawbacks to consider, and there are definitely licensing considerations.