YO AUSTIN TX

Guest errolwest

Barton Springs Swimmin' Hole

[image]

The "overlook" is pretty cool.

[image]

A lot of folks were bat watchers. I'm not that into bats, but I used to see them when I'd ride my bike across the bridge. I forget what time of year they're active...

[image]

You can rent canoes. I'd suggest not going under the bridge where all the bats hang out.

I saw Johnny Cash play at Emo's for SXSW... that is how long ago it has been since I lived there.

http://sxsw.mobi/node/3265

i wish i could have gone to this. i was there that year and couldn't get in. :( i use to love emos.. because it was free for 21+. saw so many shows there.

also the music scene is still rockin' been going to shows there half my life, the music scene hasn't changed, just moved around.

threadgills rolls are awesome, but there are tons of places with better food.

Barley & Swine (about $30-$70 a person), Odd Duck (slightly less), Olivias (about the same as B&S), Franks Bar (good hot dogs. and i hate hot dogs). there are tons of places to eat at Errol, it really depends on where you want to travel to do so or if you just want to eat in the vacinity. Here's a small List:

Torchy's: i'm still kinda undecided whether i like this place or not. it's what we call white boy tacos. it's as far as authentic as you can get, but they are good food.

Barley & Swine: I cannot recommend this place enough. they have sweatbreads (google it) and rabbit, foie gras, etc etc. its fine dining in small portions, but it's phenomenal food.

El Primo Tacos or El Delicias Meat Market: Probably the best tacos in town in my humble opinion. I'm a finnicky latino dude who grew up eating traditional mexican food and most stuff here doesn't do it for me. a few do, but these are probably 2 of the best places to get breakfast tacos in town. unfortunately, they are no where near downtown, but it's worth going nonetheless. if you decide to make the trek there from where you are staying, let me know and i'll give you directions.

Amy's Ice Cream - Just go to one.. they are awesome and the people that work there are cool as shit.

East Side Pies, Hoboken, Home Slice Pizza: all adequately good. nice atmosphere too. and it's reasonably priced. Hoboken is right on red river downtown. it's next to Headhunters and a block from Emos and Red 7. East side is on well, the east side of town off rosewood and angelina. it's also next to trailerspace records. Home Slice is this trendy pizza place off congress near where you will be at. it's good though.

The Hot Dog King - right of red river next to red eyed fly. it's a big trailer style place. they make some mean dogs and brats. and the lady there is a hoot. go there if you wind up going to a show on red river (which u probably will since most of the clubs associated with transmission and ffffest are located there).

24 Diner: Next door to waterloo records. decently priced fancier diner food. get the chicken and waffles. coincidently it's around the corner from amy's and next to waterloo, so you can hit up all three for the trifecta experience.

Franklin BBQ on east 11th. the best bbq i've had in austin. but you have to be there at 10am to be able to get bbq when they open. shit's nuts and they run out by 1pm. it's so good and my favorite.

i'd recommend bars, but you're too young and you won't get in.. luckily the transmission clubs are all ages. don't get caught drinking... and causing a ruckus, because the APD is right around the corner from those clubs and they are in full force around downtown.

Places to avoid:

Stubbs & IRon Works (touristy crap and ain't worth the time) Artz Rib house (so hit or miss it's not worth it), Huts (overrated Burgers) but everything else is ok. but it's a institution so go if you want to go to a old timey burger joint. i'd preferably recommend TOP NOTCH from "Dazed and Confused" fame. you walk in and you feel like you've walked into the 70's.

and for god's sakes, eat a whataburger while you're here or Thundercloud subs. they are everywhere and one is almost a block away from the event on south first. and Sandy's burgers and shakes and shit is next door to it.

I just liked threadgills because the owners were so nice to us.

I miss that vietnamese restaurant in North Austin... Kim Phung?

wow. great food.

As I originally mentioned the best places in Austin are the small, mom and pop out of the way locations. Perhaps I'm biased, but I really liked them.

When I lived in Travis Heights I used to ride my bike downtown to work instead of driving. I'd always stop at Los Manita's for breakfast. Not sure if they're still around.

I liked Guero's too but it was just down the street from where I was living.

Onward thru the fog. You don't have to worry about keeping Austin weird. It's like New Orleans. It is genetic.

:^/

Get a number 2 with double cheese, bacon, jalapeños, and extra pickles.

I miss Whataburger.

mmm whataburger is delicious. their new burger is a green chile double. i'm gonna miss it if i ever move up north.

I miss it. I moved to north new york from south south texas around a year and half ago, went to texas in june for a death in my family and well we hit the first whataburger in texarkana and it was like heaven. just delicious.

dont forget the toasted buns as well. no toasted buns = you're getting ripped off

Guest errolwest
yeah also, when we take you to whataburger don't go "i'm a vegan" because you're killing our burger/chicken biscuit time. and that is sacred.

dude, i am the farthest from vegan.