Gatsbys vinyl now shipping + discount code

overdue

Can you fill us in on how this ended up costing you $18K or whatever?

Sure. I did the 180 gram, with the gatefold and the liner notes to make it a bit worthwhile; I want people to get their money's worth. Maybe it sounds a bit crazy because of the extra costs, but I appreciate that kind of attention as a collector.

Here's the crude breakdown expenses for two releases.

$3950 for 2000 gatefold jackets

$1932 for 2000 8-panel liner notes

$2000 for master use

$1100 for remastering of analog reels

$1070 lacquers and plating (plant required extra plates for the heavy vinyl)

$8600 for the 180 gram vinyl

I knew how much it would cost the whole time. I don't think I would have hit my Kickstarter goal if I set it for $18k. At least the goal I set could get me started and I figured out the rest. Either way, it's done and I'm working on fulfilling every order.

And I will still be donating 100% the profits to Water.Org, despite these financial troubles I've encountered.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, So I know everyone has given this guy crap and I'll probably be given crap as well. When I saw the kickstarter I was somewhat excited, and tempted. But ultimately I didn't touch it and was glad once I heard all the issues that I hadn't done the kickstarter. Then on the 20th I saw there was the 10% code until October so I figured now was probably a good time to go for it.

Well I got my copies today, so less than 1 week to get it to my house from CA, on top of that the packaging was really good, records shipped out of sleeves, extra cardboard padding.

I'm listening to Why We Fight? First and I have to say the sound quality is pretty awesome I don't really remember this album sounding this good. The overall package I would say is top tier and he really took the time on both releases to make them the best they could be. The liner notes booklet was pretty impressive with the full on interview from the band on both albums.

I feel like $18.70 I spent on the record was worth it. Do I feel like somethings could have been cut to get the costs down, yes. I'd say the gatefold jacket isn't entirely necessary, nor the records being 180 gram(I feel like Ribbons & Sugar is a lot thicker than Why We Fight) a normal record thickness would have cut costs considerable especially since lacquering and plating cost so much more than normal as well as the pressing.

But overall I am not disappointed in this purchase, for the fans of Gatsbys American Dream I would say definitely buy this. If you're just a casual listener or have never heard of the band, I'd say check them out then decide how much you truly like them.

The only thing I can hope for is that the $9ish profit that he is gaining from these record will go to Water.org and I do hope that he is able to press the Ep.

I really wish the records number was not put on the resealable sleeve, because they are fucking cheap ones, and mine ripped when I put the record back in it.

Yeah I thought the same thing plus resealable ones are little annoying, but I do like the sticker on the front saying what pressing number it is and the number of the record, it was kind of a nice touch, but it sucks that your sleeve is ripped now.

yeah if not only so the records would be cheaper for the consumer, the records would have been cheaper for him to make and not gotten all this negative attention toward him. I do feel like these are solid releases and people pay this much and more for bigger bands records. I just feel like he paid a lot of attention to the details and they came out super awesome, just wish maybe he didn't get so detailed he'd turn people off of this release by not really coming through early on.

Oh and I did get delivery confirmation on this record the day after I bought it.

First off, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who is speaking up for me and thank you to Steviex2Shoes for sparking that discussion. Everyone makes mistakes, and I am willing to admit when I'm wrong. I've been wrong about a lot of things, but I'm glad that many of you have enjoyed what was delivered. The ultimate goal is deliver a quality product, and help out a good cause.

For some of the packaging criticisms, I'm definitely keeping all comments in mind for the next release. The sleeves are the same as the ones I use for the my personal collection. Personally, I like the clearness of the sleeves and the resealable factor. But I can see that many of you dislike how thin they are, so I will definitely avoid these for the next run. If you'd like to keep the sticker of a ripped sleeve, I recommend cutting it away from the sleeve. I like to do that with promotional stickers on shrinkwrap sometimes.

The stickers were actually very cheap, and I didn't spend a lot on them. I thought they would be a fun touch. It was easier than hand-numbering 2000 pieces. But it was still time consuming nonetheless, and I am looking into other options for numbering on the next run. If I choose to do numbering at all, that is.

But the positive response has inspired me to push on as quickly as I can for the next release. The EP will definitely be more cost effective. They will be 10" records, and I will be doing a standard jacket. I'm still working on pre-production, and I've got a rough draft done of the interview questions. The record won't be out for a bit, but I won't start pre-orders until everything is at the plant. I'll post a thread about those as soon as I launch it.

To invinylwetrust, definitely don't lump me in with Broken Circles. I admire that he is a good designer, and can put out a quality product. But his words to me have been pointedly vicious and vindictive. It really sucks to have someone you admire say such lame things about you, even if it's over the internet.

I've been looking at price sheets from various pressing plants, and sometimes that is the case. It varies from plant to plant, and the difference isn't too extreme. But it's definitely a format I'm looking into. It's just a thought, though. Nothing set in stone.

I'd just say for this next release figure out the pricing and if its too high for you figure out where you can cut. I did like the stickers they were a nice touch to it and if they weren't expensive or added too much to the cost keep them for your future releases. I would say you didn't have to do gatefold for the records, but they do look really nice as a gatefold. I'd say definitely keep the booklet the way it is, I thought it was really well done. I mean I'd say dont do 180 gram next time that would massively cut down the costs, unless you're in a more financially viable situation now and can do it go for it but I'm not sure its entirely necessary for people to want to buy a record. Just my thoughts.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Neither weight of vinyl nor speed prove your concern for fidelity.

While the analog tape for Why We Fight was lost, I did source directly from the analog tape on Ribbons & Sugar. I did it a lot to make sure it sounded as best as it could.

And as far as the examples I've stated, the speed of the vinyl ensures clarity in playback. The weight of the vinyl makes it durable. It's related, just not as directly you are citing.

"Sit tibi vita longa et omnia bona. Pacem et vitam longam"

I'd just say for this next release figure out the pricing and if its too high for you figure out where you can cut. I did like the stickers they were a nice touch to it and if they weren't expensive or added too much to the cost keep them for your future releases. I would say you didn't have to do gatefold for the records, but they do look really nice as a gatefold. I'd say definitely keep the booklet the way it is, I thought it was really well done. I mean I'd say dont do 180 gram next time that would massively cut down the costs, unless you're in a more financially viable situation now and can do it go for it but I'm not sure its entirely necessary for people to want to buy a record. Just my thoughts.

I totally agree. I'm weighing different options, and we'll see how things progress.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Neither weight of vinyl nor speed prove your concern for fidelity.

While the analog tape for Why We Fight was lost, I did source directly from the analog tape on Ribbons & Sugar. I did it a lot to make sure it sounded as best as it could.

And as far as the examples I've stated, the speed of the vinyl ensures clarity in playback. The weight of the vinyl makes it durable. It's related, just not as directly as you are citing.

"Sit tibi vita longa et omnia bona. Pacem et vitam longam"

Acta non verba

I haven't taken offense, I've simply been critical because of what was done, how it was handled, and the backlash you and your significant other gave the interwebs when things didn't go your way. I'm just voicing my opinion.

And since you are either being facetious or just using Google haphazardly, I'll switch languages.

To dìs examartein ouk andros sophou.

You're entitled to your criticisms and opinions. They're mostly right. Mistakes were made on our part, and I'm attempting to make things right. I had always planned to fulfill the subscription orders as promised, and that final record promised is the EP.

After that, I'm going to stop releasing records. At least until I can afford to personally bankroll a record the way I want, immediately. And that may never even happen. So you're in luck!

I was referencing Rushmore, by the way. That's the extent of my Latin. That and "Sic Transit Gloria", for the aforementioned reason. I'm very glad you know Greek proverbs as well. "An error made twice does not fit a wise man." I suppose I'm not as wise as you, but I'm trying to fulfill what's expected further from me.

My Greek is better than Latin. I actually took Koine Greek in grad school. I just studied and learn some articles and vocab for Latin

Do whatever makes you happy. Just deal with the criticisms. Sometimes you don't have to defend yourself. Let your product speak for itself. That's more where Acta non verba came from.