FSF: Where Are They Now?

kriss

The Moon Is Down is my favorite album of all time.

We don't need to discuss the pro's and con's of FSF versus DC but let me posit a theory: if Chris had stayed with FSF, wrote a lot of those same songs as those first three good DC records, I bet FSF would have been bigger than DC. Moon is Down just had such a great sound and the songs were perfect. I think they would have made a followup record as good or better than TMID.

We don't need to discuss the pro's and con's of FSF versus DC but let me posit a theory: if Chris had stayed with FSF, wrote a lot of those same songs as those first three good DC records, I bet FSF would have been bigger than DC. Moon is Down just had such a great sound and the songs were perfect. I think they would have made a followup record as good or better than TMID.

I just wish they'd get off their asses and tour more now that they've "reunited." I even loved the post-TMID stuff. How To Start A Fire is one of my favorites from my high school years. I still listen to it, and don't cringe.

I missed them at Bamboozle, so I'd like to see them do the tour that Chris mentioned. (I don't think they played the same day I went, though I could be wrong, as I stayed at one stage the entire time to be up front for Alk3, NFG and Gaslight.)

I just wish they'd get off their asses and tour more now that they've "reunited." I even loved the post-TMID stuff. How To Start A Fire is one of my favorites from my high school years. I still listen to it, and don't cringe.

I missed them at Bamboozle, so I'd like to see them do the tour that Chris mentioned. (I don't think they played the same day I went, though I could be wrong, as I stayed at one stage the entire time to be up front for Alk3, NFG and Gaslight.)

I'm not sure that they'd have been *as* big - the lone guy with an acoustic played a large part in DC's success - but certainly, they would have last longer and would probably still be around to some extent had he stayed with them.

I just want to see a re-press of TMID.

I'm not sure that they'd have been *as* big - the lone guy with an acoustic played a large part in DC's success - but certainly, they would have last longer and would probably still be around to some extent had he stayed with them.

Just to play devil's advocate: it could be argued that DC's success only took the rise it did from the clubs to the stadiums when he added a consistent band and when his records went from mostly acoustic to full band.

I admit, it was the charm and appeal of [what I heard it dubbed many years ago] his "campfire sing-a-long" shows early on that put him over. But when he did the MTV unplugged, he was accompanied by a band. And ever since the "A Mark, A Mission..." record, he hasn't toured extensively as just an acoustic act (I know he did a few tours, but they weren't nearly the length as the shows that were paying the bills; they opened for U2 at one point in 05!).

FSF, given the right push that T&N is so clearly capable of doing for certain artists, they could have shined him as the handsome front man and FSF could have been the next big thing.

*This is all predicated on the fact that the band continue to make great music and Chris would have written a lot of those tearjerker ballads to swoon 14-year-old girls and mid-twenty-something guys.

Just to play devil's advocate: it could be argued that DC's success only took the rise it did from the clubs to the stadiums when he added a consistent band and when his records went from mostly acoustic to full band.

I admit, it was the charm and appeal of [what I heard it dubbed many years ago] his "campfire sing-a-long" shows early on that put him over. But when he did the MTV unplugged, he was accompanied by a band. And ever since the "A Mark, A Mission..." record, he hasn't toured extensively as just an acoustic act (I know he did a few tours, but they weren't nearly the length as the shows that were paying the bills; they opened for U2 at one point in 05!).

FSF, given the right push that T&N is so clearly capable of doing for certain artists, they could have shined him as the handsome front man and FSF could have been the next big thing.

*This is all predicated on the fact that the band continue to make great music and Chris would have written a lot of those tearjerker ballads to swoon 14-year-old girls and mid-twenty-something guys.

As Andrew mentioned above, that tour was more a set of shows in their home state before playing at Bamboozle, certainly not cross country or extensive.

I can see this viewpoint and I agree that they could have been pushed - thing is, wasn't Chris already out the door or near to it by the time TMID was released? Maybe that timing was the lynchpin in T&N not giving them that push.

For me personally, I stopped paying attention to Dashboard somewhere in 2004 and not because he released anything I didn't like, but just because my interest in his music had gone as far as it could have so from my view (albeit one where I didn't pay attention to sales numbers, show attendance and such), I always figured his popularity post Mark, Mission, Brand had taken a steady dip. Is he still as big now as was in the mid 2000's?

As Andrew mentioned above, that tour was more a set of shows in their home state before playing at Bamboozle, certainly not cross country or extensive.

I can see this viewpoint and I agree that they could have been pushed - thing is, wasn't Chris already out the door or near to it by the time TMID was released? Maybe that timing was the lynchpin in T&N not giving them that push.

For me personally, I stopped paying attention to Dashboard somewhere in 2004 and not because he released anything I didn't like, but just because my interest in his music had gone as far as it could have so from my view (albeit one where I didn't pay attention to sales numbers, show attendance and such), I always figured his popularity post Mark, Mission, Brand had taken a steady dip. Is he still as big now as was in the mid 2000's?

Ive been a big fan of his since 01. I would say that he reached his peak on his Dusk And Summers album. It featured Stolen, which had some chick from the OC or One Tree Hill in his video, and also had Vindicated (the spiderman 2 single) as a hidden first song then rereleased with it with a proper track. Vindicated was a huge song for him. That is when he did the headlining Honda Civic tour, was picked up by the major label (though vagrant didnt want you to know). His last two albums have not sold as well, and the shows have moved out of arenas and back to the ampitheatres/2000 seat shows.

Also Im pretty sure the FSF was a full eastcoast tour that just wasnt promoted much.

Ive been a big fan of his since 01. I would say that he reached his peak on his Dusk And Summers album. It featured Stolen, which had some chick from the OC or One Tree Hill in his video, and also had Vindicated (the spiderman 2 single) as a hidden first song then rereleased with it with a proper track. Vindicated was a huge song for him. That is when he did the headlining Honda Civic tour, was picked up by the major label (though vagrant didnt want you to know). His last two albums have not sold as well, and the shows have moved out of arenas and back to the ampitheatres/2000 seat shows.

Also Im pretty sure the FSF was a full eastcoast tour that just wasnt promoted much.