sufjan - illinoise 2xLP w/superman on cover?

i don't see any of these listed on ebay - is there a reason why there aren't any, i see some of the cd's with the superman artwork - if they have been on there in the past, does anyone know bout how much people are paying for it

i dropped the e from illinoise and found one with a buy it now price of $150 - is this somewhat accurate?

Balloon sticker covers Superman on the first 5000 copies.

I've seen this number listed before, but I really don't think it's accurate. Before this album was released Sufjan wasn't even selling out 500-seat venues. I find it very hard to believe that Asthmatic Kitty started out with a press of 5,000, especially when overall vinyl sales were way below what they are now. Plus, I pre-ordered the record, got the Superman, ordered for a friend's birthday about 6 months later and got a second press. Wouldn't that have been an insane amount of vinyl to sell in a few months? I mean, we're not talking Nirvana.

Balloon sticker covers Superman on the first 5000 copies.

I've seen this number listed before, but I really don't think it's accurate. Before this album was released Sufjan wasn't even selling out 500-seat venues. I find it very hard to believe that Asthmatic Kitty started out with a press of 5,000, especially when overall vinyl sales were way below what they are now. Plus, I pre-ordered the record, got the Superman, ordered for a friend's birthday about 6 months later and got a second press. Wouldn't that have been an insane amount of vinyl to sell in a few months? I mean, we're not talking Nirvana.

It sold 9,000 copies in its first week of release, which means they probably shipped at least twice that (I'll assume 20k), and it sold 100k before 2005 was over. I'm sure the label did a big pressing in the beginning; 5k seems accurate. You have to remember, it's cheaper per unit to press 5000 records than to press 500. Most indie-rock labels aren't too hung up on colored/limited vinyl, nor are their fans, so you press a bunch and try to keep the price relatively low.

It sold 9,000 copies in its first week of release, which means they probably shipped at least twice that (I'll assume 20k), and it sold 100k before 2005 was over. I'm sure the label did a big pressing in the beginning; 5k seems accurate. You have to remember, it's cheaper per unit to press 5000 records than to press 500. Most indie-rock labels aren't too hung up on colored/limited vinyl, nor are their fans, so you press a bunch and try to keep the price relatively low.

Why is the Foo Fighters re-releases so expensive?

Pretty sure I got this in 2009 for about 25 PPD off eBay. It's worth more than a regular pressing but not worth $150. Eventually, after many years, and if punk and hipster kids alike continue to appreciate his legitimately brilliant musical offerings, than I bet eventually the first press with the superman image would be worth something. We're talking like 10 years though (from the release).

Why is the Foo Fighters re-releases so expensive?

Foo Fighters released records on RCA and Capitol. Not really "indie-rock" labels. Majors have dollar signs in their eyes when they look at vinyl.

also, when you look at cost of cds vs vinyl to manufacture, its more than 4x the price in some cases, so selling the vinyl at 2 or 3x the price of the cd makes perfect sense to them (on paper). That goes for most vinyl out there though.

Eventually, after many years, and if punk and hipster kids alike continue to appreciate his legitimately brilliant musical offerings, than I bet eventually the first press with the superman image would be worth something. We're talking like 10 years though (from the release).

well there's only 4 more years to go for that, so here's hopin'

Foo Fighters released records on RCA and Capitol. Not really "indie-rock" labels. Majors have dollar signs in their eyes when they look at vinyl.

also, when you look at cost of cds vs vinyl to manufacture, its more than 4x the price in some cases, so selling the vinyl at 2 or 3x the price of the cd makes perfect sense to them (on paper). That goes for most vinyl out there though.

Dreamover's right—the cost per unit for vinyl is waaaay higher than CDs/digital (obviously). Major labels also have to pay out royalties to the band members from each copy, and I'm sure other people have points on those records, too (i.e. producers, A&R men, etc.). They all have to get paid. So those costs are built into the vinyl price. It's kind of like how Ticketmaster sells a $40 ticket that actually costs you $55, because they have to pay all these venue fees and stuff. It's built into the price.