Newbury Comics "no future?"

Well, here's to hoping they figure it out.

I love Newbury, for records, cds, dvds, and comics. I hit one up at least once a week

And anyone in the Massachusetts area needs to check out the Norwood one. I recently discovered it.

Not only is it huge, but i'm pretty sure they're the only one that buys/sells used records. I've gotten some pretty great deals there on long out of print stuff.

If the worker-people in the individual stores had the power to order the records that would sell in their particular branch, as opposed to what might sell at another location, AND in the proper quantity... well, they would have sold a lot more records. Granted, running a group of stores that big is daunting. Salute to NC for remaining active this long. If they trim a few stores in order to make the remaining ones stronger, then right on. The world NEEDS places like this. I say, positive vibes and big ups to the thriving future of (at least some) of the NC stores.

If the worker-people in the individual stores had the power to order the records that would sell in their particular branch, as opposed to what might sell at another location, AND in the proper quantity... well, they would have sold a lot more records.

This is a big issue of mine with them. Also the lack of store to store transfers and being able to see what other stores have in stock. While they do have a lot of stores, it isnt hard to have a network to see what others have in stock and get transfered. Bullmoose had this down to a science in 99 for christsakes.

If the worker-people in the individual stores had the power to order the records that would sell in their particular branch, as opposed to what might sell at another location, AND in the proper quantity... well, they would have sold a lot more records.

This is a big issue of mine with them. Also the lack of store to store transfers and being able to see what other stores have in stock. While they do have a lot of stores, it isnt hard to have a network to see what others have in stock and get transfered. Bullmoose had this down to a science in 99 for christsakes.

If the owner(s) are genius computer programers and they designed their own system, how come humans can still render it useless? Too bad the robot revolution did not happen. Terminator 6000 would have made a great sales person. "You will buy this crappy new CD... or else I will terminate you."

I was wondering how long this thread would take to mention Bull Moose. I actually prefer Bull Moose, bought most of my first records there back in high school.

I was wondering how long this thread would take to mention Bull Moose. I actually prefer Bull Moose, bought most of my first records there back in high school.

Although I have never set foot in a Bull Moose, I will forever love them as they had the goofiest method of ordering records ever, yet they also were one of the largest buyers of some of the most obscure hardcore music imaginable. What a bunch of freaks must live in that one city in Maine. Personally, I love the stuffing out of Maine and I like to think I will return there someday, before long. So near Canada, yet so far away.

Interesting. I've been a newbury comics fan since I was a kid. my dad would take my sister and I to the original store (when it was the only store) and it always had the coolest stuff. I was excited for them when they began to expand, but perhaps they would've been better off remaining an independent one-off store.
All of these closures make me relieved that I'm within walking distance of four different record shops with a great selection of both used and new stuff. I almost never buy new records unless I absolutely can't wait for them. One of the things that led to Criminal ATL's downfall was their move to a much larger space several years ago - had they stayed where they were, they'd probably be in a bit better shape.

Sounds like the story of both these stores is too much expansion. I hope it works out for both of them. In newbury's case, closing a few stores and in criminal's moving to a smaller space. I've heard (but don't quote me on it) that Criminal should be ok and won't be closing although they do have some changes to make. I bought a bunch of stuff at one of the Newbury Comics on RSD last year. Awesome store, awesome staff. My dad was there and did the shopping for me (specifically the souls jersey pride 7" since no stores in atlanta got it) but he was on the phone and the guy helped him find everything in 15 minutes he was in and out and got me everything I wanted - Souls Jersey Pride and HWM - Live in Chicago #1 to name a few.

Although I have never set foot in a Bull Moose, I will forever love them as they had the goofiest method of ordering records ever, yet they also were one of the largest buyers of some of the most obscure hardcore music imaginable. What a bunch of freaks must live in that one city in Maine. Personally, I love the stuffing out of Maine and I like to think I will return there someday, before long. So near Canada, yet so far away.

If it means anything to you, there are 10 stores over Maine and New Hampshire. They have 99% of the stuff they order sent to the warehouse in SouthPortland/Portland and then sent from there to the other 9 stores via van drivers. Made shit so easy as an employee there to get stuff. They did invent their own software though so I am sure thats what helped so much. They do sell it though to other stores and I know that some in Nevada use it.

You mean the two cans and the 1500 mile piece of string? Ah, those were the good old days.

Chris from Bull Moose here. Thanks for the kind words, everybody. It's all much appreciated by everyone here.

Bullmoose is awesome for a bunch of reasons. One being that they have punk/hardcore/metal sections for both vinyl, cds, and used cds which made finding awesome stuff so easy. I do wish they'd carry more of our releases but I can't hold it against them.

Newbury Comics is awesome too, I would be really bummed to see it go. Spent most of my life getting music there. They seem to take a good variety of releases but don't seem great at keeping them in stock.