9:30 club parking info

brandnew

I'm taking the trip up to DC to see the brand new NYE show, and I'll be trying to see mewithoutyou and make do and mend at the 9:30 club in DC on the way up.

In check-out, you can buy $12 parking tickets online. Is there any cheaper (or free) parking anywhere around? I know parking is crazy in DC, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Also could use a cheap place to stay near DC for a couple nights, on another note.......

There's tons of street parking around the 930 Club/American University. But you run a pretty big risk of some shit happening to your car. V Street and the surrounding area isn't the greatest of neighborhoods. Maybe stop at a metro station in Maryland and ride it in. Driving in DC is shitty anyway. Have fun. I grew up in that venue.

I definitely recommend the metro route. I'll be at the Thursday/MDAM show... it should be over before metro closes and NYE is a weekend so metro will be open to 3am. If you're coming from the south, you can park at the Franconia-Springfield metro station, which is just off I-95. It's about a 35 minute ride to the U Street stop, which is closest to the club. Parking is only $4.50 on a weekday.

The area is still not great, but it's better than it used to be. In 2002, I ended up driving to a show there (one of the few times where I had to) and at a red light a few blocks away on 7th street, just north of the Convention Center, a prostitute walked up to my car and threw herself onto my hood and then rolled herself off the car, screaming that I drove into her. I had read about that ruse to get people of their cars so they could then rob you. I floored it out of there.