Cheap Girls - Giant Orange

patron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool record. Something about it really reminds me of early alkaline trio for some reason.

Reminds me of a cross between Sugar and Replacements. So yea I really like this. Going to have to get their earlier albums

I find a huge resemblance to Gin Blossoms. Check out 'Find Me A Drink Home' if you haven't heard it yet. 'Giant Orange' really reminded me of that album, and I am really loving this new one. 'My Roaring Twenties' just didn't hit the same mark for me.

It's so weird when a group puts out an album, and you think 'This is the best thing I've heard in a long time, there's no way they can top it.' It's been years since this has happened to me(Reconstruction Site over Left and Leaving, SGtWotB over Life In General), but the Menzingers, Sidekicks, and Cheap Girls are doing it all at once. I really love music right now, which sucks, because I've never had less money.

Well, *expendable* money, I guess.

Reminds me of a cross between Sugar and Replacements. So yea I really like this. Going to have to get their earlier albums

I find a huge resemblance to Gin Blossoms. Check out 'Find Me A Drink Home' if you haven't heard it yet. 'Giant Orange' really reminded me of that album, and I am really loving this new one. 'My Roaring Twenties' just didn't hit the same mark for me.

It's so weird when a group puts out an album, and you think 'This is the best thing I've heard in a long time, there's no way they can top it.' It's been years since this has happened to me(Reconstruction Site over Left and Leaving, SGtWotB over Life In General), but the Menzingers, Sidekicks, and Cheap Girls are doing it all at once. I really love music right now, which sucks, because I've never had less money.

I actually was listening to Gin Blossoms the other day. they are a solid band

Do you know Menzingers, Cheap Girls and Sidekicks are touring together. Gonna be a great night

Do you know Menzingers, Cheap Girls and Sidekicks are touring together. Gonna be a great night

I do know that, but I choose not to cognitively recognize it. I live in the Bermuda triangle of tours, where no one comes anywhere near where I am. I'd love to check this out, but have gotten over my anger/jealousy of tour dates. I feel like I made up for it in the late nineties/early oughts, basically living at the Triple Rock. Live shows are a thing of the past. I live for albums now.

I do know that, but I choose not to cognitively recognize it. I live in the Bermuda triangle of tours, where no one comes anywhere near where I am. I'd love to check this out, but have gotten over my anger/jealousy of tour dates. I feel like I made up for it in the late nineties/early oughts, basically living at the Triple Rock. Live shows are a thing of the past. I live for albums now.

Oh yeah, and my kids. Whoops.

I know how you feel. I lived in NYC most of my life. Then moved to the midwest and than back to NYC and to Denver. We get decent shows out here but we miss our fair share. We are essentially 500-700 miles in every direction from another major city(salt lake, abq, kc) and those arent exactly thriving towns

So I do enjoy other things now that I am older than shows

Yep, with my daily life, there's no way I could make it to a show in Richmond, or Greensboro, It took around three or four years before I gave up the ghost, and stopped even checking for shows online, but I'm fine now as long as I can have the vinyl to listen to. I didn't even think I was aging until I got turned down from the Coast Guard Reserves because I was over the cutoff age of 27. I spend a lot of my time in the '[image]' moment.

I feel like I made up for it in the late nineties/early oughts, basically living at the Triple Rock. Live shows are a thing of the past. I live for albums now.

are you talking about the Triple Rock in Minneapolis? the venue side wasn't even open until 2002/2003. did they have shows bar side or is this another place?

i've cut way down on shows, mostly because i can't afford to do both anymore after my job tanked. i barely can keep up with listening to records either. i'm not sure how i had so much time to devote to music in the past, it feels like i never have enough time in the day anymore.

after listening to the new Cheap Girls, i get a huge Damien Jurado vibe vocally. when i saw them, i think i was thinking the same thing but i couldn't remember the comparison until last night. good album. the cream marble doesn't sound too terrible, surprisingly.

Yeah, that Triple Rock. And that's also correct. It was from somewhere around 2002 - 2005 that I was there. My mental timeline is disastrous. I would have sworn it was open before then, but you're right. It was around my sophomore year in college that they opened up.

Did you ever go to any shows at the Foxfire lounge? I think it was only open for a couple of years (98-2000), but they had a ton of great groups go through there. My favorite show to this day was seeing Slow Gherkin play there.

Yeah, that Triple Rock. And that's also correct. It was from somewhere around 2002 - 2005 that I was there. My mental timeline is disastrous. I would have sworn it was open before then, but you're right. It was around my sophomore year in college that they opened up.

Did you ever go to any shows at the Foxfire lounge? I think it was only open for a couple of years (98-2000), but they had a ton of great groups go through there. My favorite show to this day was seeing Slow Gherkin play there.

i remember how bad i wanted to see The Mountain Goats back in 2003, and how i couldn't because the opening Triple Rock show was a Lifter Puller reunion that instantly sold out. and i see this poster every time i'm there. http://www.aestheticapparatus.com/detail.php?subsection=&status=&uid=B6E20B

i'm still bummed i didn't see the first show i tried to see at the Triple Rock, because it sold out while i was in line. Cursive, The Blood Brothers, Eastern Youth. so bummed. the Triple Rock is easily my favorite place to see bands now though. i don't even get carded when i walk in. that's a good sign you've been to a place too many times in your life.

i lived at the Foxfire. hated their sound, but loved their shows and the cheaaaap covers. i was under 21 so i couldn't see half the Entry shows i wanted to see. saw some amazing bands at the Foxfire though. The Get Up Kids, At The Drive-In, Papa Roach (just for the fact it happened there haha), L7, Cadillac Blindside, Kill Sadie, Gnomes Of Zurich, Something Special Died, Rainer Maria, Selby Tigers, etc etc etc. i really miss that place. i moved out west for a few years and really missed a ton of things from 99-2002 too.

Got my order from Interpunk yesterday. Didn't even realize it came with an autographed poster. The record is simple yet awesome! :D

What color is it? And how limited? if you know. I ordered it from Interpunk with my Joyce Manor preorder so i wont get it for awhile :(

Pirates Press posted this recently. Gonna order this soon.

[image]

/800

• 2 months later...