Any illustrators out there?

jeffbo

Not sure if this pertains to vinyl exclusively, but post art you've drawn for bands! Doesn't matter what band, doesnt matter if its drawn either I guess, I just would like to see. I'm working on my bachelors in illustration currently and I want my thesis to pertain to music in a way. This might help a bit

Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one of these is technically for a band but here. Have some doodles and stuff.

[image]

Lot of people have seen this already but poster I did for Deadhorse.

[image]

Teaser image I did for a zombie webcomic I was going to start that I'm never going to finish because I'm lazy and have more important things to focus on.

[image]

If I haven't already made my rampant fanboyism of Dead Space clear...

[image]

Cover for an ambient horror album I made a year or so ago.

[image]

Cover for an electro/dubstep/etc album I just put out. This is more design/photomanip than illustration but I really dig it so yeah.

[image]

Lyric art I did based on Where Two Bodies Lie by Moving Mountains.

Again, more design than actual drawing involved with this but I really like it.

I work on stuff basically all the time but I'm overly critical of a lot of it. I'll have to dig around and see what I have that I like enough to post other than these. I have a few more things linked in my sig and I just started a lyric typography blog if anyone digs crap like that (more stuff like that moving mountains thing). http://typographybreakdowns.tumblr.com/

PS: Goddamn Allison those are A+++

[image]

If I haven't already made my rampant fanboyism of Dead Space clear...

[image]

Cover for an ambient horror album I made a year or so ago.

[image]

Cover for an electro/dubstep/etc album I just put out. This is more design/photomanip than illustration but I really dig it so yeah.

PS: Goddamn Allison those are A+++

these remind me a lot of jake bannon's stuff! i dig 'em all! :]

and thank you!

Appreciate the nice feedback everyone :) Kriss, it's nice to experiment with different techniques but whatever makes you comfortable is always best. Some artist prefer to illustrate with traditional materials and then scan into their program of choice. I prefer to illustrate everything right into Illustrator with my tablet. I still love to illustrate with traditional materials, but I find this way is much faster for merchandise work etc.

Let's keep this thread rolling! Here's an Christmas present I made for my guy because he loves Breaking Bad and tattoos.

http://cassiepodish.tumblr.com/#14343623901

I prefer to illustrate everything right into Illustrator with my tablet. I still love to illustrate with traditional materials, but I find this way is much faster for merchandise work etc.

Same pretty much except I never really learned Illustrator other than using Live Trace because I'm dumb. Paint Tool Sai and Photoshop for me. Still prefer my Intuos to paper right now though. I've actually been working with my tablet for so long that I'm completely out of practice traditionally and all of my supplies I've stocked up on just sit around. Kinda a shame considering I have a ton of Copic markers. :/

This was pretty much the only traditional thing I really did worth posting like. All year. Got really bored while I was working at that telemarketing place and decided to turn an anatomy practice sketch into a zombie self portrait ...thing?

[image]

Crap quality photo because I've been too lazy to screw with scanning it from my sketchbook.

Appreciate the nice feedback everyone :) Kriss, it's nice to experiment with different techniques but whatever makes you comfortable is always best. Some artist prefer to illustrate with traditional materials and then scan into their program of choice. I prefer to illustrate everything right into Illustrator with my tablet. I still love to illustrate with traditional materials, but I find this way is much faster for merchandise work etc.

I've actually been looking at tablets quite a bit lately (Wacom, etc) and have seriously debated getting one but judging by the pens, I assumed my efforts on one would be clumsy at best given the level of detail I put into my stuff (lots of dots and minuscule lines and whatnot) but all of the line work in that Mixtapes cover looks super clean - what would you suggest I look into? Could I retain a moderate degree of the detail I already have in my stuff by supplementing with a tablet?

I've actually been looking at tablets quite a bit lately (Wacom, etc) and have seriously debated getting one but judging by the pens, I assumed my efforts on one would be clumsy at best given the level of detail I put into my stuff (lots of dots and minuscule lines and whatnot) but all of the line work in that Mixtapes cover looks super clean - what would you suggest I look into? Could I retain a moderate degree of the detail I already have in my stuff by supplementing with a tablet?

I use the Wacom tablets. I mostly use this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Silver-Tabl....07997&sr=8- 110

I prefer the smaller tablets, not sure why. It just feels a lot more comfortable for me.

Your work does contain a lot of detail but honestly you shouldn't have a problem achieving the same results with a tablet. It will probably take some time to get comfortable with the tablet pen but you can get the same effects as a pen on paper. I would even suggest you use a custom brush for your effects...it could save a lot of time. I use a custom brush for my stippling. Like in the Circa Survive butterfly (above). Certainly it's not at the same level of detail you use but you get the idea.

Let's keep this thread rolling! Here's an Christmas present I made for my guy because he loves Breaking Bad and tattoos.

do you have any prints of the a wilhelm scream/heartsounds one you made ? also I envy all of you're work if I could ever put down on paper what i want to put out these would come close to my vision.

@Kriss I totally back Wacom, that's what I use. I have an Intuos4 but I lost the pen so I'm using my old Intuos3 right now. The Intuos4 has 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity which basically means it can detect a lot of minute details and strokes more easily but it's also $200 so you may want to start with a cheaper model just to get started with. In all honesty I've gone from using their Graphire models to Bamboo to Intuos and the difference in pressure levels hasn't made too much of a difference to me other than going from something with only 512 directly to 2048, then it's somewhat noticeable but for a starter one I think you'd be okay with a Bamboo.

Also yeah, I prefer smaller tablets, I'm too lazy to make pen strokes that are the size of my desk. I like being able to do quick wrist movements since that helps keep inking/line work cleaner and that's way easier to do on smaller tablets.

@cassiep and edgedestroys: The Wacom linked is just a pad sans screen though - is it awkward to translate drawing on physical paper to drawing on a pad while looking at a disconnected screen at the same time? Seems like it'd be disorienting. I'd like to try my hand at a tablet that is basically the screen self contained so that I can travel with it if I want to like I do with my physical paper pads.

do you have any prints of the a wilhelm scream/heartsounds one you made ? also I envy all of you're work if I could ever put down on paper what i want to put out these would come close to my vision.

Thanks so much :)

I have a few digital 11 x 17 prints left over. PM if you want one.

@cassiep and edgedestroys: The Wacom linked is just a pad sans screen though - is it awkward to translate drawing on physical paper to drawing on a pad while looking at a disconnected screen at the same time? Seems like it'd be disorienting. I'd like to try my hand at a tablet that is basically the screen self contained so that I can travel with it if I want to like I do with my physical paper pads.

Most of the time I sketch right into Illustrator with my tablet. I'll sketch in a light blue and then lock that layer and continue. If I have a piece that I did with traditional materials I'll scan it, reduce the opacity, and trace over that. So, I'm looking at just my screen when I work.

I've never used a screen tablet before so I can't really speak first hand on how those perform. But I know some people do prefer them because they are closer to using traditional materials. Those types of tablets are on the pricey side, and I don't know of any that are portable.