Flying

So i've got a random question about flying and I wondered if anyone has had a similar issue with it. In May I need to fly home to Rochester for my best friends wedding so I've been looking at flights. My wife and I are flying out there on separate dates so I don't think we'll be able to do round trip tickets and fly back together at least from what I've seen. Either way I'm planning on doing 2 one way tickets. This is where my question comes in:

1 way ticket from Milwaukee to Rochester is $129, however the flight has an hour and 45 minute layover in Chicago. If I were to buy this ticket and "miss" my flight in Milwaukee would I run into any issues for my connecting flight in Chicago? (my reasoning for missing the flight is because I'm only about an hour from Ohare anyways and only like 45 from Milwaukee so basically it'd be saving me a vacation day at work, the flight leaves mke at 1:30pm and the flight from chicago leaves at 4pm) Im fairly certain it would be 2 separate boarding passes I just dont know if I'd be flagged or my seat would be given away on the other flight because i missed the Milwaukee one.

Before anyone answers I have looked the direct flights from Chicago to Rochester and for the time frame I'm looking at its about $230.

Thoughts or experiences?

1 way ticket from Milwaukee to Rochester is $129, however the flight has an hour and 45 minute layover in Chicago. If I were to buy this ticket and "miss" my flight in Milwaukee would I run into any issues for my connecting flight in Chicago?

Yes, this is called throwaway ticketing. If you do not show up for your first leg (MKE-ORD), the airline will cancel the rest of your itinerary. So when you showed up in Chicago, your reservation would already be canceled, and you'd have to purchase a new ticket.

1 way ticket from Milwaukee to Rochester is $129, however the flight has an hour and 45 minute layover in Chicago. If I were to buy this ticket and "miss" my flight in Milwaukee would I run into any issues for my connecting flight in Chicago?

Yes, this is called throwaway ticketing. If you do not show up for your first leg (MKE-ORD), the airline will cancel the rest of your itinerary. So when you showed up in Chicago, your reservation would already be canceled, and you'd have to purchase a new ticket.

The same might not be true for your return. Some airlines consider each leg "one way" even if you've book a round-trip ticket. So while you'd be cancelled in Chicago, your return flight may still be valid.

Not sure if this information helps you in this scenario but there it is.

Thanks for turning me on to Throwaway ticketing I knew there had to be a term or other people would have had to have done what I'm thinking. Seems like definitely not the way to go since I'm missing the 1st flight instead of the 2nd (which would be easier to get away with). Seems like I just need to either find another flight or stick with this one and deal with the layover.

And this is why the airline business is so terrible. They don't use common sense. My girlfriend was in Chicago, drove to the Milwaukee airport. Took a plane back to Chicago and then to Oregon. It was $60 cheaper each way to fly out of Milwaukee then Chicago despite being an additional flight.

And this is why the airline business is so terrible. They don't use common sense. My girlfriend was in Chicago, drove to the Milwaukee airport. Took a plane back to Chicago and then to Oregon. It was $60 cheaper each way to fly out of Milwaukee then Chicago despite being an additional flight.

Lemme guess, American or United? Airlines charge more for non-stops out of their hubs, so you see seemingly non-sensical situations like that a fair bit. Likewise, it's usually cheaper to fly out of the smaller airports near Detroit and Minneapolis than to fly out of those hubs.

Yeah it just doesnt make any sense and it sucks because the 2nd flight from chicago would allow me to stay at work for an extra 2 hours as opposed to practically taking the entire day off just to get the 1st flight. I just found a different flight that leaves at the same time from Milwaukee as Chicago layover in Cleveland just end up getting to Rochester about 2 hours later than I had hoped. But I can't pass up the price.

Yeah it just doesnt make any sense and it sucks because the 2nd flight from chicago would allow me to stay at work for an extra 2 hours as opposed to practically taking the entire day off just to get the 1st flight. I just found a different flight that leaves at the same time from Milwaukee as Chicago layover in Cleveland just end up getting to Rochester about 2 hours later than I had hoped. But I can't pass up the price.

I'd rather layover in Chicago than Cleveland, fwiw.