Mac Mini

Does anyone here have any experience with a mac mini?

I have a macbook pro that just died. Five months ago the video card chip on the logic board burnt out and I got it replaced for $300 and I'm pretty sure the exact same thing happened last night. The mac book is about 4 or 5 years old so it's probably not worth fixing again.

I'm debating going the route of a mac mini, does anyone have any experience with them?

Also I don't want this to turn into a mac vs pc debate.

We have a couple at the office to power things like scanners and presentation flat screens and they all work just fine, but not a lot of horsepower. If your not designing, editing video or anything like that you should be fine. With a new on you might even be fine doing that stuff.

Problem is by the time you buy a monitor, keyboard and the other stuff you need you almost to the price of an iMac or laptop. Plus, no CD drive. Personally, I'd spend a little more on another product. But if you go with the mini I don't think you'll be having a lot of problems.

The new ones seem fast enough. I do audio editing. But I just realized your right it doesn't come with a superdrive. I could in theory buy a separate one but that will add a bit more money.

I can also get a monitor and keyboard and mouse for $100 so it doesn't bring the price up that much.

This sucks.

Do the new mini's not have a CD drive?

I had one for 3 years and it was honestly the best desktop computer I've had, I'd say I had less issues with it than my 20" iMac I got right after. I did recording with it so it was great for moving around and I never had any issues flopping between Photoshop and Illustrator on it. I just upgraded the ram to start and it was fantastic. Honestly, can't say enough good things about them.

Do the new mini's not have a CD drive?

I had one for 3 years and it was honestly the best desktop computer I've had, I'd say I had less issues with it than my 20" iMac I got right after. I did recording with it so it was great for moving around and I never had any issues flopping between Photoshop and Illustrator on it. I just upgraded the ram to start and it was fantastic. Honestly, can't say enough good things about them.

same here. I used photoshop and illustrator extensively and never had a problem with mine. the only thing now is that the mac mini's don't have a super drive, but seriously, how often does someone use a super drive. i haven't used mine more than twice in almost 3 or 4 years. if you need one, external's aren't that expensive.

yet, i enjoy having a laptop more than anything though. that's just me.

The Mac Mini's are too bad now-a-days, that's assuming you are using it to dabble w/ web browsing and some other miscellaneous tasks. Sure they are not anything like the Mac Pros and iMacs, but they are still nice.

I say do it! or go for an iMac, not much more money and more power!

I work at a certified Apple service provider and we use a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard Server as our bench machine. I love it and I really want one to use as a media server at home.

As for the graphics processor in your MacBook Pro, if it's a 2008 model it may be covered under the Apple warranty extension for the nVidia issue. Basically nVidia and Apple used a bunch of faulty GPUs in 2008 MacBook Pros and they fail like crazy. If you are within 4 years from your purchase date and it turns on and chimes but gives no video, I'd take it in to an Apple store or a certified service provider and have them test for the nVidia issue. You might get logic board replacement for free.

Well I called apple and the model is still under warranty another two months and it wouldn't be though. I didn't mention I bought it used (which should really matter I guess) and I didn't mention I already had this fixed once from another computer company. Hopefully they either don't notice or it doesn't void the warranty.

Thanks a lot.

So I think I've settled on getting a hackintosh. I can get one for $800 and it's got a 4.1Ghz processor. 8 gigs of ram, it's a quad core, 1.88 Bus Speed (no idea if that's good but i'll assume it is). Comes with a monitor, keyboard mouse and speakers.

Also here's hoping my laptop gets the free repair.