Jack White Tri-Color

otto802

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the one that handled the ordering and processing of the tri-colors for Reckless in Chicago at all three stores.

Like the Saddle Creek shop, we only got 10, had a million calls, and they were gone immediately.

End of story!

So where did the other 4 go?

I'm not sure where this "6 copies" thing came from. My guess would just be a confused employee. Maybe there was only six left when someone called?

I was off today but was told that there was no crazy rush for them and they just sold quickly in the first hour or so we were open.

So where did the other 4 go?

I'm not sure where this "6 copies" thing came from. My guess would just be a confused employee. Maybe there was only six left when someone called?

I was off today but was told that there was no crazy rush for them and they just sold quickly in the first hour or so we were open.

there were five of us in line. at 9:20 the guy let us in (which we were very thankful for) and the five of us checked out. i asked the guy that checked me out, how many they got. he said "we only got six". when i was walking toward the door, a kid was knocking and the other guy working said "there's your six!" and let him in. they did not let anyone else in after that.

Hey Dave, make sure you put in an order for the RSD release of Phish - Junta. Hopefully I'll be first in line at your store like I was last year to pick it up along with many other releases! Also make sure to try and get the Pollock poster version of Junta which is limited to only 2,500 of the 5,000 copies being made available. Thanks!!!

I got one at Waterloo today!! It was tough, they were staggering out when they put them out, there were people hovering over the 7" section like vultures! One slipped away b/c I didn't want to be pushy, and then the next time I grabbed a second before another guy. Very intense!

My Crosses 10" finally showed up today too, so all in all a great vinyl day!

there were five of us in line. at 9:20 the guy let us in (which we were very thankful for) and the five of us checked out. i asked the guy that checked me out, how many they got. he said "we only got six". when i was walking toward the door, a kid was knocking and the other guy working said "there's your six!" and let him in. they did not let anyone else in after that.

Well - I looked at the sales and there was definitely more than six sold, so I have no idea what they were talking about! Whatever! Glad you got one man!

Hey Dave, make sure you put in an order for the RSD release of Phish - Junta. Hopefully I'll be first in line at your store like I was last year to pick it up along with many other releases! Also make sure to try and get the Pollock poster version of Junta which is limited to only 2,500 of the 5,000 copies being made available. Thanks!!!

We'll do our best, as always!

Well - I looked at the sales and there was definitely more than six sold, so I have no idea what they were talking about! Whatever! Glad you got one man!

You should probably ask your employees how many they bought, then. Given as how we have firsthand accounts of three of the six people Reckless allowed to buy this morning, it's pretty obvious that Reckless staff bought the remaining copies before the public had an opportunity.

me too!

Scott - I can guarantee that's not what happened. Even if an employee or two DID buy one, why is that a problem? We got 10 copies and they're gone!

I personally have minimal issue with employees buying stock before it hits the floor (I know I did it plenty of times when I worked at a record store in high school). But obviously there's some level of discrepancy here between what customers were told and what you know. That's what's weird.

If these are really just ending up in the hands of the record store employees and owners, thats pretty poor. I mean, isn't the point of all this to be a bit of a "thank you" for those of us who still buy physical music? I mean, it takes a pretty big fan to go stand out in the cold at 6am for a 7'' single. I really have no horse in this TMR race, but I've dealt with record stores on RSD that have pulled the same stuff.

Maybe TMR should just auction all the tri's for charity to begin with? Seems like a good way to do it.

Working at a record store is just like working anywhere else.. sometimes you get perks as an insider that outsiders don't get. I worked at a small record store once and sometimes we only got two copies of something.. I think I made 8/hr but I definitely was paid in records more often than dollars. Sucks that this was such a ltd edition.. tmr shit is insane. If you worked at the store you'd probably do the same.

What's incorrect?

But obviously there's some level of discrepancy here between what customers were told and what you know.

I won't check this thread anymore.

Dave,

This is pretty easy to understand:

a) Your store got 10 copies of the Tri-Colors---FACT

B) 3 people on this forum, were in line and let into the store before it opened to buy the Tri-Color--FACT

c) The number of Tri-Colors available for those 3 people and others that were in line to buy was 6 COPIES---FACT

d) Therefore, 4 copies were held back or purchased by Reckless Employees, since they were not made available to the public---FACT

e) You stated earlier in this thread that you were "off today but was told that there was no crazy rush for them and they just sold quickly in the first hour or so we were open."--FACT

Therefore, it is very clear that whomever handled the opening shift, flat out lied to you. Now maybe they lied because they could get fired for holding back the Jack White single. Maybe they lied because they held one for a friend who was at work and couldn't pick up the single until lunch time.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that only 6 copies were made available to the public, 4 copies are "missing" or purchased by Reckless staff, but since you weren't there, you can't personally verify that.

In the end, nothing is going to change, what is done is done; it just would have been nice to know for those who waited in line at 6am and were turned away without a single that Reckless employees were going to either purchase/hold 40% of the singles Reckless received.

No biggie if Reckless employees were going to get 1 or 2...I know of stores that will hold back stuff for employees who have been there for years (not necessarily for someone who started 2 weeks ago however), so it is part of the game. It is obvious that TMR should have sent you more than 10, so more customers could have been satisfied.

End of story.