White vinyl sounds worst?

burntwolf

has anyone listened to icky thump on vinyl?

i have it but i haven't got around to cracking it yet.

it was the first one made from 1" analog tape or something like that. i can't remember where i read about how that was made either now.

a guy at my community radio station told me they did a separate mix for the vinyl release, so it sound completely different from the cd.

Guest falloutcollapse

i was wondering, how much does the average LP weigh? i know that 140-160 is pretty good, and i've heard of records being up to 220, but how much does the average one weigh?

• 3 weeks later...

i love the coloured vinyl but, and this might be just me, i find very little difference between colour variations - i do find a lot of difference between the actual labels that are pressing them. for instance, i rarely get any dodgy sounding vinyl from temporary residence however hydrahead are iffy. and every single swami vinyl release i've bought sound pretty terrible, colour or otherwise. the major labels bite - epic, columbia, warner all have horrendous inner groove distortion (i dont have the bucks for a mega expensive deck but the one i have is widely regarded as one of the best in its price range).

the southern lord pressing of altar pales in comparison, sound-wise, to the japanese daymare release. every daymare release i have sounds incredible.

so, for my limited knowledge and experience, i would be more inclined to think the pressing and production process are the major factors when talking about sound quality.

i love the coloured vinyl but, and this might be just me, i find very little difference between colour variations - i do find a lot of difference between the actual labels that are pressing them. for instance, i rarely get any dodgy sounding vinyl from temporary residence however hydrahead are iffy. and every single swami vinyl release i've bought sound pretty terrible, colour or otherwise. the major labels bite - epic, columbia, warner all have horrendous inner groove distortion (i dont have the bucks for a mega expensive deck but the one i have is widely regarded as one of the best in its price range).

the southern lord pressing of altar pales in comparison, sound-wise, to the japanese daymare release. every daymare release i have sounds incredible.

so, for my limited knowledge and experience, i would be more inclined to think the pressing and production process are the major factors when talking about sound quality.

I agree with you on many points. I just got the new American Steel on white and it sounds incredible, better than most Fat releases. And the vinyl is nice and thick and sturdy. I also agree that most major label stuff is pretty bad, however, Sire's pressings of the new Against Me! LP and the two 7"s have some of the best quality I've heard in a long time. The 7"s have a very crisp sound.

My thoughts on quality is: you go cheap, you get cheap. I don't think it matters much what color it is. Cheap vinyl will sound worse.

I can tell the difference between a 192 and 320 kbps mp3, but I can't tell with records.

- Jeff

I'm not being rude, but I'm willing to bet $ that you actually can't. I argue this point a lot all over the place. If someone sets up a blind taste with about 3 different compressions and about 5 songs you will fail to notice the better ones. You need several songs and compressions to eliminate 50/50.

It has to be setup by someone else and not yourself, because if you know what you're listening to you're going in with bias.

2 or 3 years ago Maximum PC did this test with 5 people. They had an average music fan, an audiophile, and an audio engineer, I think some dude's mom, and a guy from a band. It was all guesswork, they all failed.