White vinyl sounds worst?

burntwolf

I came across an article a while back that talked about different audio quality of vinyl and it said someone had done some kind of tests and determined that white vinyl sounded the worst.

Does anyone know what that was from and can point me in the direction of the article again?

I'm not sure if was total BS or what either. I don't remember if they said why.

I think we all say that on this board because Virgil wrote it once a few months back in one of his State of The Union pieces or something. I've never seen any "official" thing saying it, though.

I heard it from someone a couple of years ago. I'll have to go back and read that SotU again.

I just don't like it because it's tacky. If anything, I'd guess that clear is probably the worst and black is the best.

We talked about his on the Deathwish site a while back. A guy I know runs a label in Atlanta and he never puts out colored vinyl because he thinks it sounds like shit. Jake Bannon, who knows a lot about all of this, said there is some truth to the claims that white and clear sound worse because they are the most degraded form of vinyl. Black is supposedly the best because it is pure.

Now, can you tell the difference? I feel like I can. I prefer black vinyl. Some of the color vinyl DGC did in the '90s, for example, sounded terrible.

Color vinyl certainly wasn't developed for it's sound quality but rather it's aesthetic quality. If you want audiophile-quality music, buy 180 gram black. Honstly though, with the kind of music most of us listen to, it doesn't matter.

I got this bit of information about white being the worst fidelity from my pressing plant. I dont' have any data to support this and honestly, I don't have the ears to say whether or not this is the case. I think that you would need some really good ears and probably a killer record player to tell the difference.

ah, ok. that state of the union must be where i had read it, and what i was thinking of.

i've never noticed any diff between colors, i just wanted to find out where i read it so i could check it out again.

i must have got it mixed up w/ this other article i read around the same time about the whole remastering/loudness wars:

http://www.chicagomasteringservice.com/loudness.html

ah, ok. that state of the union must be where i had read it, and what i was thinking of.

i've never noticed any diff between colors, i just wanted to find out where i read it so i could check it out again.

i must have got it mixed up w/ this other article i read around the same time about the whole remastering/loudness wars:

http://www.chicagomasteringservice.com/loudness.html

yeah, i posted that a long whiles back. pretty interesting stuff.

I think weight of the vinyl is secondary to production / mastering and quality of vinyl. Just my opinion, but I'm sure people in the know would back me up. Or would they?

backed.

Yah, if the vinyl isn't mastered for 180g, it's gonna sound like shit. That's why I'm always leery of putting forth money for 180g records unless I know they've been mastered correctly.