needledrops/converting to mp3 etc

Guest jtk

I'm wondering if any of you guys do needledrops of your records, and if so, are you happy with the results? I have a number of records I'd like to have as mp3/aac so I can listen to them at work/in my car/etc but it seems like a lot of effort, especially if the results are lackluster.

My TT has a USB interface that I can turn on (not using it currently) and I know I can use Audacity to do the recording. Any other software I should be using? I'm using OSX.

I have a MOTU-828 firewire digital audio interface that I use for needledropping. The recording path is as follows

Turntable > Receiver > MOTU-828 > Computer > Garage Band

I usually just record a bunch of records in one go and then edit everything in Peak.

The results I get are really good. I keep my records faily clean so there's very minimal pops and clicks with the recordings. Most of the time, they're minor so I just keep them in the recording.

That MOTU looks awesome, but I suspect it's overkill for me at this time (I think I would want a better TT to start with, at least).

I try to keep my records clean but I've been battling a lot of static this year. Also some of my old used records aren't going to be quiet no matter what I do.

Anyway this is all good info... thanks!

is audacity the best bet for PC users?

Probably if you're on a desktop. My laptop and a lot of laptops I think have an issue with volume being maxed out going in. So it's already a garbled mess and there's no turning that down. If you don't have any of these problems to worry about audacity should be pretty easy. You can adjust the level input there and customize it.

I can't believe this thread has been up for ~5 hours and no one has said "lol. [something about crappy sound quality through a line-in/usb]"

I use audacity (and I'm using it right now), and I have no issues when I'm using my old desktop. recording on my laptop has the problem jeff mentioned--it's a line-in/mic dual input thing, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to work like a line-in. I do split up tracks and whatnot on my laptop, though

my only complaint is that regular mp3 files have a much louder volume than the files I create using audacity. I do "click removal" (first using the automated/default method, then manually if I see any big spikes that get missed) & "amplify", but that doesn't fix the discrepancy, it just standardizes my vinyl recordings

i use audacity with OSX.

TT>Receiver>Griffin iMic>USB port on Mac

i dont have any of those issues with the line-in because of the USB-connected iMic. the set-up and use is easy-as. I do have System Preferences>Sound open and the input selected as USB iMic, so i can watch the sound volume coming through the iMic. I have the input on audacity set on iMic too. Have perfect sound quality. Coupled with Audacity's good (entry-level) editing capabilities, recording vinyl to MP3 is a doddle.

I use Audacity with my laptop and a low end usb powered pre-amp. I use the line-in with no problem. You just have to make sure you not recording through the external mic. My first attempt accidentally recorded my running commentary. As alluded to, I do need to set the input volume low, anything over 2 is a mess. However, i have been pleased with the results.

I use line in with my MacBook Pro... and as far as lackluster results... you can easily get those from any USB Turntable using the USB interface which is locked at CD quality (16-bit 44khz). I also record at 24-bit 96khz, which is noticeably different even to the causal audio enthusiast.

My process is such- record the record at 24/96 with audacity and line in. Seperate the tracks with audacity and export individual tracks to WAV/Aiff then use Izotope RX to make them 24/48 (required for iphone/ipod/etc). Then convert those to Apple Lossless format for full iTunes compatibility/library integration/lyrics/etc. I usually keep a copy of the 24/96 in FLAC for home theater use too.

Sometimes I do declicking with ClickRepair, but usually the quality bump causes me to not care about the occasional click.. plus it's somewhat easy to rob some sounds.

Oh and be sure to throw away those audacity files when you're done exporting... they take up HDD space fast (about 4gb per hour of music).

The USB interface seems to be limited to 16-bit/48 KHz at the highest so I will probably just use the tape loop on my receiver instead. I have a Squeezebox Touch that can play 24/96 FLACs so I will try that.

I think I've used Max to convert higher-res FLAC (NIN free dwnloads I think) to Apple Lossless before so I know that works.

Still, lots more good info here... thanks!

I use this:

[image]

Novation Nio 2/4 in between my mixer and my laptop when transferring vinyl. It's actually way too fancy for what I use it for, but I found it for half off and couldn't resist. Have also used it for cassette transfers and found it to be a big improvement over the line input because I can adjust the incoming signal so easily.

If you're using GarageBand and your mp3 tracks are too quiet/loud after importing them, you can adjust the volume level on the track in GB before exporting it.

I've done over 100 vinyl rips on GB and now that i have a set method for basically remastering the tracks, i'll take the pepsi challenge with any ol' 320mbs mp3 or cd!

If you're using GarageBand and your mp3 tracks are too quiet/loud after importing them, you can adjust the volume level on the track in GB before exporting it.

I've done over 100 vinyl rips on GB and now that i have a set method for basically remastering the tracks, i'll take the pepsi challenge with any ol' 320mbs mp3 or cd!

Assuming I'm reading this correctly -- but I wouldn't be remastering those mp3's if I were you. Every time you edit an existing mp3 and save it, you are deteriorating the quality of the file (just like dubbing a copy of a cassette to another cassette or making a photocopy of a photocopy). FLAC or bust.

Assuming I'm reading this correctly -- but I wouldn't be remastering those mp3's if I were you. Every time you edit an existing mp3 and save it, you are deteriorating the quality of the file (just like dubbing a copy of a cassette to another cassette or making a photocopy of a photocopy). FLAC or bust.

Right, you should be ripping and editing in WAV or FLAC. Converting to MP3 should be the very last step.

I use:

Denon DP-60L turntable / Denon DL-160 Phono Cartridge (with Orsonic Disc Stabilizer DS-250) -> Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB preamp -> SupremeFX X-Fi discrete Audio Card -> Audacity WAV

don't get sucked into the tired old FLAC vs mp3 debate here. it's a vinyl rip. i can't play FLAC on my walkman.

Neither can I and there is nothing to debate. If you edit an already lossy file, you are losing more information when you re-save it.

I edit everything in Wav. Save to FLAC for storage and MP3 for portability. Pain in the ass sure, but at least I know I'm not listening to a turd file. And if I want to edit anything I can always convert my FLAC back to Wav without losing any quality.

don't get sucked into the tired old FLAC vs mp3 debate here. it's a vinyl rip. i can't play FLAC on my walkman.

Neither can I and there is nothing to debate. If you edit an already lossy file, you are losing more information when you re-save it.

I edit everything in Wav. Save to FLAC for storage and MP3 for portability. Pain in the ass sure, but at least I know I'm not listening to a turd file. And if I want to edit anything I can always convert my FLAC back to Wav without losing any quality.

Most iPods play Apple Lossless. Don't be stupid. The difference is quite noticeable.

Also bear in mind you're not losing the vinyl sound... because the record nearly always uses a different master than the CD version.