Hey Travis....

So I went into the Hot Topic that I usually pick up my HT exclusives from and noticed they no longer carried vinyl... Not only that, they didn't even carry cds anymore either. I asked a girl that worked there and she informed me that HT would no longer be selling vinyl or music that wasn't on the top 40... This didn't sound right to me, surely she is just an ill informed HT underling. Can you please give me the low down on this? Are some stores just going to no longer carry vinyl? and if so, why?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went into the Hot Topic that I usually pick up my HT exclusives from and noticed they no longer carried vinyl... Not only that, they didn't even carry cds anymore either. I asked a girl that worked there and she informed me that HT would no longer be selling vinyl or music that wasn't on the top 40... This didn't sound right to me, surely she is just an ill informed HT underling. Can you please give me the low down on this? Are some stores just going to no longer carry vinyl? and if so, why?

Same here... The last records I purchased at that shop (Pearl City) was the Dude Ranch and Enema exclusive LP's... a few weeks later, they no longer sold vinyl. Now... there's only ONE Hot Topic in the ENTIRE state (Hawaii) that carries records... Ala Moana Shopping Center, and that place is a madhouse.

Went to Washington State a few months ago and the one in Lynnwood had a teenie weenie selection... in a couple cardboard boxes on the floor BELOW the cd's..

theres so little places to buy music anymore in person, HT is pushing it out, all big music stores (sam goody, tower, virgin, fye, etc) went out of buisness, target and walmart carry crap, best buy section is decreasing significantly, and the websites for them are pretty good but ive determined that amazon.com is really the best way to go for buying pyshical music, they got a all selection and list things very early...amazon is the best way

You own ten records.

And if FYE went out of business, the one in my mall is a little behind...

My HT never carried vinyl, but that still sucks

It's such a bummer... However I went to a HT that was in the mall located on the strip and a guy working there was pretty into the fact they carried vinyl. Hopefully I'll still be able to pick up HT releases from there... And if not the original girl I spoke with informed me that I can always order online and have them sent to the closest location.

I asked a worker at my local Hot Topic if they carried vinyl and she asked me what I was talking about. But the closest HT that sells vinyl is 45 minutes away and last time I was there they had about 10 records that looked like they'd been sitting there for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped selling it there.

theres so little places to buy music anymore in person, HT is pushing it out, all big music stores (sam goody, tower, virgin, fye, etc) went out of buisness, target and walmart carry crap, best buy section is decreasing significantly, and the websites for them are pretty good but ive determined that amazon.com is really the best way to go for buying pyshical music, they got a all selection and list things very early...amazon is the best way

its times like these i remember how much i love the city of richmond. i have 4 record shops all 2 miles or less from my house. (steady sounds, deep groove, vinyl conflict, and plan 9) the first three exclusive to only vinyl records.

I asked a worker at my local Hot Topic if they carried vinyl and she asked me what I was talking about. But the closest HT that sells vinyl is 45 minutes away and last time I was there they had about 10 records that looked like they'd been sitting there for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped selling it there.

is it possible that this vinyl kick the worlds been on since 2008 is just temporary and in a couple years it will be forgotten about again?

Hopefully...less hobbyists/variants, more music.

its times like these i remember how much i love the city of richmond. i have 4 record shops all 2 miles or less from my house. (steady sounds, deep groove, vinyl conflict, and plan 9) the first three exclusive to only vinyl records.

internet high five for lucking out with record shops close by! Bull City Records in Durham, NC is my saving grace.

ive determined that amazon.com is really the best way to go for buying pyshical music, they got a all selection and list things very early...amazon is the best way

LOCAL RECORD STORES, YOU DUMB FUCK.

is it possible that this vinyl kick the worlds been on since 2008 is just temporary and in a couple years it will be forgotten about again?

I wouldn't be surprised if some places stopped selling it completely, but I don't think Hot Topic would. I also don't think vinyl will be forgotten. People who buy and collect records will always buy and collect records.

We have two "local" record stores. Tek Records, which is super small, run by just one guy, really awesome place to chill and talk music, and they have a few releases I like, but he never does RSD, and his store hours are really shotty and unpredictable. Then there's Central Square Records... They do RSD, but outside of that, there's never anything I like, and the place is so hipster it's crazy. But it's really close to the beach in this fancy little city called Seaside, so that's cool. They're both about twenty-thirty minute drives, in opposite directions from where I live.

id be lying if i said i wasnt part of the phase, my favorite band starting to press on vinyl so im like i love them so much i guess i should buy everything on everything format, all my vinyl that i bought have never been played, i dont even have a record player, theres one at my grand parents house and my dad got one out of a storage locker that didnt work so i think i may have a fist come through the pc screen and punch me after admitting that on this forum lol :D

[image]

id be lying if i said i wasnt part of the phase, my favorite band starting to press on vinyl so im like i love them so much i guess i should buy everything on everything format, all my vinyl that i bought have never been played, i dont even have a record player, theres one at my grand parents house and my dad got one out of a storage locker that didnt work so i think i may have a fist come through the pc screen and punch me after admitting that on this forum lol :D

Sounds about right. You should frame your vinyl so they look good on your walls.

I don't want to be that guy, but record stores will forever be the best way to get "physical music". There are 3 record stores I can walk to from my house, and that money stays in my neighborhood instead of being wired to some massive company somewhere (as great as Amazon is at some things). Plus, no waiting for shipping.

EDIT: disregard, beaten to it by several people, plus I did not realize I was writing an earnest reply to a THEUSEDGUY POST LOL.

some stores by me over the years have drastically cut their vinyl selection, but Woodfield Mall has a good amount and some of the people are knowledgeable others not so much. Last time I went into a hot topic to buy vinyl conversation at counter went as followed

Cashier: Find everything Alright?

Me: Yeah

Cashier: OH HEY! records I've been meaning to buy records I just don't know where to buy them at.

Me: Uhhhh clearly you can buy them here

Cashier: Oh I ment I don't know where to get a....whats it called...

Me: A record player?

Cashier: YEAH I don't know where to get those.

Me: Try the internet. Oh I don't need a bag.

Cashier: Alright, Would you like the receipt with you or in the bag?

Me: Is that a serious question?

Cashier: .........so you don't want a receipt?

Me: I'll take the receipt with me, bye.

yr doing it wrong, if you are looking at walmart and best buy to find wher to buy music in person.

and you are REALLY doing it wrong, if you think that amazon is the best place to buy physical music online.

im glad hot topic carries vinyl and its great for people just getting into records and stuff. But the fact that people think its the ONLY record store in town in many cases just blows my mind. I hear this quite often when kids come to shows and stuff in my store "oh you have these vinyl?! I thought Hot Topic was the only place here that had this stuff" or "i usually just go to hot topic, because i didnt know there was a store like this here" (when in reality there are 5 or 6 record stores in town here.

also, as for hot topic not carrying vinyl, its probably by store. its a corporate store, and so the bottom line is profit. If the records arent selling in a store, those 5 feet of wall space can be better used to make money on something else. a couple of the hot topics here have expanded their vinyl selection recently, as they must sell more. if an individual store isnt selling a product, why would they keep it around?

Yeah as much as I buy vinyl from people on the forum, distros, amazon, etc nothing beats going to a record store. Usually I go alone because it makes others miserable or myself feel rushed if I am with someone. I can spend forever just going through every last record in the store. I have been so slammed busy but anytime I travel or get the chance I prefer to spend an afternoon at a physical store.

If a store lost their vinyl section it was because they probably werent selling it very well to begin with.

No stores that currently have a vinyl section will be losing that. The CD sections will likely be reduced but the vinyl will be staying and possibly even expanding to some new stores that didnt have a vinyl section before.