Labels that make a ton of "test presses"

@ Tiny Engines, do you think that is a bit risky, (not being a smartass at all, genuinly wondering) to not get test's and rely on the reference lacquer. It's kind of two totally different animals. Most pressing errors are due to plating or stamper damage. Not the lacquer cut. It would scare the piss out of me personally to do a run with no test pressings. And without test pressings, it typically voids out any recourse if the record comes out with problems.

Again just wondering, not tossing my opinion in there. Interested in if you've ever had problems with the pressing, and if there was any recourse?

What can I say? We love to live on the edge.

Of course I kid. Your point is well taken, and yes, we do test pressings and listen to them ... and give the final approval based on them. Are there any plants that allow you to do a run without approving test pressings first?

I guess what I meant is that most of the critical listening in the process is done with the reference lacquer. It's there that I really listen for any issues, and in general, the overall sound of the record on vinyl. If there is a problem, Dave @ Lucky can go in, make adjustments and cut a new reference within a couple days.

On the other hand, if I skip the reference lacquer and rely on the test pressings, a mistake - or just something I didn't like - in that phase of the process would probably set us back a few weeks at least, and it would also cost quite a bit of money to fix. With a reference, when I get it to where I'm satisfied, I can pretty much count on the final product to sound that way as well ... as long as no one screws up at the plant, as you mentioned.

Maybe the easiest way to describe it is this: the reference lacquer helps to make sure the record sounds the way you want it to sound. The test pressings are that final stage where you make sure there are no F-ups.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Labels that sell test presses for crazy amounts of money, for a new release test suck.

Every newer label nowdays(and even some older ones) seems to be out for quick money, whatever it takes, kickstarter, licencing a major release, charging more for certain colors/variant.

It's almost like integrity doesn't exist's nowdays.

kickstarter, if utilized properly is the most punk thing ever... community sourcing for a project you all care about... i have never gotten more letters expressing thanks for doing a record than we did for the ska revival kickstarter.. this wasnt us begging for money for some new band who was too cheap to spend their own cash... these were relatively lost records we knew didn't have huge broad appeal.. but we knew meant a shitload to a decent group of people. so we did it, and it was a smashing success.

and honestly dude.. if i sell a couple tests to people.. and it helps me put out more records so be it.. i too collect tests, and i prefer to buy them froim the label directly because i know those funds go to support and grow the label's that i love.

i dont see the problem on how people wanna spend their money... you dont need a test pressing.. its luxury item.. especially if you can just get the regular copy for retail